Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA flight “to Turkey” departs soon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2023, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
The BA flight “to Turkey” departs soon

Quite an odd one on the departure board this morning. Are these not automated? I assume if so that someone would have corrected it by now…..
Old Jul 9, 2023, 11:54 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Quite an odd one on the departure board this morning. Are these not automated? I assume if so that someone would have corrected it by now…..
Totally bizarre!

Were there any flights to ‘America’ or ‘Asia’ displayed on the board? Or even Belfast (not the City)? 😂
SxMan and HFHFFlyer like this.

Last edited by BA or bust; Jul 10, 2023 at 8:09 am
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:10 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
It’s the flight to SAW. I assume it is some problem with differentiating with IST or it is the same issue the app has (displays SAW as Marquette, as that uses the FAA code SAA).
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:29 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Regarding this pic, I am glad it says Thessaloniki. I remember it used to say in some cases Chalkidiki which is a bit misleading!
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I once had a (charter) flight from MAN-SFJ displayed on the boards as "Mystery Tour". Apparently the airport staff were afraid of misspelling Kangerlussuaq.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:24 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by stifle
I once had a (charter) flight from MAN-SFJ displayed on the boards as "Mystery Tour". Apparently the airport staff were afraid of misspelling Kangerlussuaq.
Instead of 'go to' did it go on to say 'roll up to gate'?
davidcamp6, Horatio and RockyRobin like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Instead of 'go to' did it go on to say 'roll up to gate'?
It was long enough ago that gates were actually displayed all the time rather than only at the last minute
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:55 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
A few years ago I was at LCY and the departures board showed a BA flight to "London" was leaving in about 40 minutes. No idea what that was about given that LCY is a London airport
SxMan likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
I think we should have a historical names day on the departure board: Salonica, Constantinople, New Amsterdam

Any other current BA destinations? Former ones I can think of include Leningrad and Salisbury. Léopoldville was never a BA station though.

Bonus Avios for anyone who makes their flight and correctly identifies the destination without having to ask for help from any BA staff.
Hotcat1970 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by BOH
at LCY and the departures board showed a BA flight to "London"
Perhaps a positioning flight to one of the other airports leaked into the public displays? For example, positioning for the Cityflyer weekend operations from Stansted.
salut0 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
... Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople... Been a long time gone, Constantinople ... That's nobody's business but the Turks.

(TMBG)
wrp96, salut0, beachmouse and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC "I'm blue Da ba dee da ba di", Skywards Blue, Miles & More (very passive)
Ages ago (90s) I was at an airport in Spain to fly home to Hamburg (HAM) but did not see the destination on the board. I then checked by the flight number and found it.
It wasn't listed as "Hamburg" but "Fuhisbutte" which is a mangled version of the quarter of the city the airport is in (Fuhlsbüttel).

This name stuck more than the actual airport it was shown at
FlyingScientist likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by salut0
Bonus Avios
Capital of Argentina right?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:37 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
Perhaps a positioning flight to one of the other airports leaked into the public displays? For example, positioning for the Cityflyer weekend operations from Stansted.
Yes, I am sure you are right.....but it was definitely a Tuesday as was heading out to a major trade show in Berlin on the opening day. It's about 7 years ago but I do recall the flight number shown had a "T" suffix so I assumed may have been a training flight maybe,
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by BOH
A few years ago I was at LCY and the departures board showed a BA flight to "London" was leaving in about 40 minutes. No idea what that was about given that LCY is a London airport
I accompanied my mum on a Britannia nervous flyer flight from East Midlands to, err, East Midlands, with East Midlands showing on the screen!
adrianlondon, wrp96 and flygirl68 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.