Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE meals better than main course in F?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2023 | 4:46 am
Original Poster
30 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
Question CE meals better than main course in F?

I have been lucky enough to eat several meals in F, but I often find the main course underwhelming and usually overcooked. However, I find the hot options in CE to be quite enjoyable. I think the main reason for this is that in CE the meals are better suited to the cooking process on board.

I am interested to know what others think.

TIA
ttama and oceanscape like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 5:10 am
15 Years on Site

I got the Club (CW not CE) meals when in F on request and if available if I couldnt find anything on Menu for my simple delicate palate!
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 5:15 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by johnaalex
I have been lucky enough to eat several meals in F, but I often find the main course underwhelming and usually overcooked. However, I find the hot options in CE to be quite enjoyable. I think the main reason for this is that in CE the meals are better suited to the cooking process on board.
CE? CE is average at best, most of the times and, in typical BA style, you get 'afternoon tea' for most flights I seem to go on or a cold salad or, for morning flights, a sloppy breakfast which is far better in the lounge. And the CE meals are tiny, too.
bafan likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
15 Years on Site

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Personally, I completely disagree...
Dan72, bakera, ATLCDG and 12 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 5:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Personally, I completely disagree...
I am struggling with this as well.
seanp7, orbitmic, stifle and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 5:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I have been lucky enough to eat several meals in F, but I often find the main course underwhelming and usually overcooked.
Could you give a few examples of F mains that have been spoilt (to the point of being worse than a typical CE crusty-rim main) by overcooking ?
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 5:32 am
30 Countries Visited500k15 Years on Site

Programs: BA Silver, SAS EuroBonus Gold, ITA Club Executive, Mucci
Originally Posted by chriswiles
CE? CE is average at best, most of the times and, in typical BA style, you get 'afternoon tea' for most flights I seem to go on or a cold salad or, for morning flights, a sloppy breakfast which is far better in the lounge. And the CE meals are tiny, too.
You must fly a lot between 14:00 and 16:59, as they are the afternoon tea flights on Band 1 and 2. I actually choose to fly during this window as much as possible, because I love the afternoon tea in Club Europe and prefer it to the cold salad offered at other times. Breakfast I like to avoid entirely when flying, if I can.
JTXC, ttama, DoctorCopper and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 5:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
40 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Im content with the F main courses Ive had in recent years. That said - and Ive mentioned this before - I think Im very low maintenance when it comes to food and drink.
our_kid, HIDDY, Tobias-UK and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 5:57 am
15 Years on Site

I have had dried out fish and tough over-cooked steak in F and really enjoyed sausage, mash and gravy in CE J, so there maybe something in this.
johnaalex, SW7London and ttama like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 6:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
20 Years on Site

I am interested to know what others think.

TIA
What is the "cooking process" on a 90 minute A320 flight?
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 6:40 am
50 Countries Visited1M5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC GGL; TK Elite (*A Gold); SAS Eurobonus Gold (Skyteam Elite Plus); Mucci des Puccis
The F collection of lamb parts was massively overcooked when I had it. Steak is usually incinerated, but that's a classic avoid really.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by bisonrav
...collection of lamb parts...
Sounds delicious
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 10:34 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Looking at the full meal service then F is miles ahead of CE. An individual course may be poor in F but overall there should be something to titivate the taste buds.
SW7London and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 11:14 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I rarely have cause to complain about the food on a BA aircraft. That said, an average UK pub offers better quality food. So I board expecting sustenance rather that a taste sensation.
Old Jul 8, 2023 | 11:54 am
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Rubecula
Looking at the full meal service then F is miles ahead of CE. An individual course may be poor in F but overall there should be something to titivate the taste buds.
Not sure if the OP is complaining about the menu variety or the taste regardless of what they choose.

I wonder if its the different cooking styles - ie the CE mains are warmed in the dish with all the main ingredients present, and then served to passengers on a somewhat warm plate/dish.

Whereas in F the components of the main course are warmed separately and then combined onto a cold plate....timing is key both for the components being warmed prior to plating and then having somebody available to take the plate to the passenger in a timely manner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.