Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade - F to C

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Downgrade - F to C

BA changed equipment on our IAD-LHR flight from 777 to 350. So, First to Business.

I assume we lose the option for First Dining and CCR at LHR.

Would BA allow us to reroute via another city so that we can fly transatlantic in F? Would mean flying to Chicage or NYC.

Then again, probably not worth it given the time-effort-risks given new Club Suite will be on our 350 sector.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Yes, BA will permit a change to allow you to keep the original booking class. Give the GGL team a call (ideally armed with your preferred options) and they will get you n your way again.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:30 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
If you accept the downgrade, and refund/UK261 downgrade compensation, then yes.

Would BA allow us to reroute via another city so that we can fly transatlantic in F?
Yes.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Might just be better off with the 75% refund and flying J.
olouie, AAL2887, SkyLich and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Agreed. I don't quite get the appeal of 'First Dining' or CCR, but that's just me I guess. I don't need to sit down for a big meal before flying and I find the formality of CCR to be a little disconcerting. Much prefer the F lounge, serving myself when I want. Even flying F I often will look in the CCR and walk out - too many people eyeing you up and down wondering if you should be in there with them for one. Strange place.
endoman and SK AAR like this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
First dining at IAD is, on my one and only experience, emphatically not worth anything. It’s basically the same food as in the lounge - albeit served at a table; with a very strange set of wine offerings. YMMV
camdentown likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’d take the refund and run. F really not worth it on the short overnight if you have Club Suites.
mikeyfly, moondog and Grande Annee like this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
FYI: Flights to/from ORD have also changed equipment, so no first there either.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by mlbcard
FYI: Flights to/from ORD have also changed equipment, so no first there either.
British airways is still selling LHR / ORD on the A380 with First? I just checked. When are they changing this equipment? Is it seasonal?
Old Jul 2, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
[QUOTE=
[/QUOTE]

In my limited experience with downgrades - they still let you into CCR - EU261 happens latter ;-) - I usually ask at checkin and they make some note that the CCR people see - that's a sample size of 3 - so probably not statistically relevant ;-)
Old Jul 2, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I’d take the refund and run. F really not worth it on the short overnight if you have Club Suites.
Unless you sleep on the side - especially if you change sides - nothing worse than club suites for that.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by rstruthe
British airways is still selling LHR / ORD on the A380 with First? I just checked. When are they changing this equipment? Is it seasonal?
They're not changing the equipment for BA297/296 but 295/294 has been changed from a 777 to a leased A330 with no first until November.

See for details BA to wet-lease Air Belgium A330-900neo Jul-Nov '23 - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Jul 2, 2023, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
This would be my policy too. I like BA F, but I wouldn't pay a huge premium for it. My advice would be: estimate the refund owed, and ask yourself if you would have paid that much extra to fly in F rather than J on the segment.

'd certainly pay an extra £200 to fly in F rather than J if I can, and I certainly wouldn't pay, say, an extra £500 for it. I have no idea how much the op paid for their ticket, but typically, I'd assume the 75% refund of an F segment to be at least in the high three figures, so in that particular case, I'd personally take the cash...
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Except for some of us the reason for flying F is to avoid any chance of being stuck in the Club Suites. Not everyone thinks they’re an improvement.
Tobias-UK, KARFA, CT-UK and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by Schind
They're not changing the equipment for BA297/296 but 295/294 has been changed from a 777 to a leased A330 with no first until November.

See for details BA to wet-lease Air Belgium A330-900neo Jul-Nov '23 - FlyerTalk Forums
huh. I'm not flying F, but I just got an email about an August trip on 297/296 saying they're changing equipment with no F seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.