Wiki Posts
Search

Night Flight in CW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2023, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Night Flight in CW

I’m flying RUH-LHR-GLA shortly, departing 0035. I’m looking to maximise sleep on board and find the Qatar offering really good for this. I can’t find a clear description of what to expect on BA for night flights so was hoping the good folks here may be able to advise:

- Is the lounge BA uses at RUH any good?
- What to expect of the meal service - is there an express option? I’m not expecting much of the lounge beforehand or else I’d have planned on just eating there.
- Do they provide pyjamas? (if not I’ll be bringing my Qatar PJ’s to wear!)
- My first time flying the Club Suites… do they provide bedding etc, or is there no need?
- Latest point at which breakfast can be taken?

- Side question - is there a ‘halal’ meal option on the standard menu? I don’t know for sure if I’ll be eating so don’t want to order a special meal that might just go to waste. (A drop in the ocean of wasted food on board a plane, I know…)

I was looking for an existing thread to post this question but couldn’t find one. Apologies if I’ve missed it.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You will be offered a snack after takeoff and a hot breakfast before landing, all food in Halal.
There is bedding but no PJs so wear your Qatar Airways ones.
Teefaf, becks1, firstlight and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by Can I help you
You will be offered a snack after takeoff and a hot breakfast before landing, all food in Halal.
Oh, definitely no pyjamas – what kind of airline do you think this is? you probably won’t get any slippers either 😬
Teefaf likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No probably about it!
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

😄 Thank you both, very grateful for your responses.

Hopes have been suitably toned down a couple of notches…
jonkx likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Only thing to add is the Arrivals Lounge in T5 also offers breakfast / showers and other amenities. It’s after baggage claim & customs.
Teefaf likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:41 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
The lounge at RUH is OK but no more than that. It's a Plaza Premium. Basic food & beverage but a respite from the dull & miserable departure area. There is a randomly applied security/passport check at the gate which is nothing less than a sh*t-show IME.
Teefaf likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 12:04 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I fly this route often.

Don't arrive at the airport too early (and BA use Terminal 2 even though some channels still list it using Terminal 1 which is shut). Average time from exiting the taxi to departure gate is about 5 mins assuming you have hand baggage only and BP on your phone)

Lounge pretty awful - ok for a snack and some water - wifi pretty slow

Onboard I just go straight to sleep - flight time is usually 6 hours or less - no alcohol until you have left Saudi airspace (about 30 mins or so after take-off depending whether you go via Kuwait or Egypt (ie over fly)).

As you are connecting to GLA you can just go straight to the Club Lounge airside which is probably better than using the arrivals lounge landside but not much in it (apart from the fact you usually arrive pretty early so security should be quite fast to connect and likely busier if you go to arrivals lounge and then go through security later)
Teefaf likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 1:28 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Wearing QR pyjamas for a night BA CW flight is a wonderful British response to BA not providing them.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 2:55 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by firstlight
Wearing QR pyjamas for a night BA CW flight is a wonderful British response to BA not providing them.
I sometimes wear my Qantas ones, but it did once provoke a discussion with a crew member about how he's glad BA doesn't do it because the toilets would be occupied continuously with people changing in and out of them. I replied something like, oh I guess Qantas must have a few extra business class toilets on their planes to manage it.
Trident 3B, Teefaf and Koru Flyer like this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 3:10 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
I sometimes wear my Qantas ones, but it did once provoke a discussion with a crew member about how he's glad BA doesn't do it because the toilets would be occupied continuously with people changing in and out of them. I replied something like, oh I guess Qantas must have a few extra business class toilets on their planes to manage it.
while it's up to others to decide strategy we tend to use group 1 advantage so we can change just after we embark, and so cause no delays for anyone else
Teefaf and endoman like this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to say thank you again for the additional responses about the lounges etc. All really helpful info, and great to see that the BAEC board remains as eminently helpful as it’s always been.

As for wearing the QR PJs on board - it’s just because I have a pair to hand from a recent flight, and they come in a handy bag with slippers. Maybe it’s too ‘peace and love’, but as we’re all OneWorld I’m hoping it won’t unduly raise any eyebrows.

I’m also in the ‘change into PJs immediately after boarding’ club. Timing it for landing can be a bit more difficult, depending on when I wake up and how busy the loos are. But the benefits of a change of clothes are worth it!
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Teefaf
As for wearing the QR PJs on board - it’s just because I have a pair to hand from a recent flight, and they come in a handy bag with slippers. Maybe it’s too ‘peace and love’, but as we’re all OneWorld I’m hoping it won’t unduly raise any eyebrows.
No need to feel that you've been "treacherous" to BA - just wear whatever you feel comfortable. I occasionally wear my Lalique SQ pajamas too onboard BA flights.

What I occasionally forget is BA doesn't provide slippers; once when I asked if I could have one soon after boarding, the crew looked at me as if I was from Mars! Eventually another crew stepped in and passed me a pair of F slippers.
Teefaf likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by LondonAussie
Even on QR, I don't recall people going in and out of the toilets just to change in and out of their pajamas, definitely not more frequently than normal, as they'd usually do that along with "other businesses".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.