Wiki Posts
Search

A319 Go-arounds this week

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2023, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
A319 Go-arounds this week

There have been four at LHR this week. Just coincidence?
SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yeah.

Happened to my A320 BA1495 on Sunday too
Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:20 am

And my A320 BA489 on Sunday too!
SxMan and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Happened on my BA 435 yesterday. Approach was noticeably choppy so we discontinued at around 2,000m out, captain mentioned a sizeable tailwind component.
SxMan and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:31 am

In short. A319s are like crisp packets in thermals, there's been little wind recently at 1500' when when we slow down and what there has has been variable, and there's been a recent SOP change to improve our 160kts to 4 mile ATC speed compliance has added an upper limit to speed deviations at 1000ft.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Does that mean that 319 might be a bit more susceptible to an unstable approach and therefore go around? I think I have heard something from a pilot about them being harder to handle than the 320 and 321 but cannot remember exactly what the issue was.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Does that mean that 319 might be a bit more susceptible to an unstable approach and therefore go around? I think I have heard something from a pilot about them being harder to handle than the 320 and 321 but cannot remember exactly what the issue was.
Lack of skill😂

Okay I’ll be a little more even handed. All types have their foibles and you have to adapt to them. The A319 is lighter and therefore has a lower VRef. If you are at 160 at 4 it can be a large speed reduction to VRef. There is a standard green procedure on the minibus to be good neighbours and burn less gas. However, it is not the SOP which is gear down at 2000agl then configure for landing. If you use the green procedure it’s F2 gear up till 4 then gear down and take landing flap. With a light aircraft or tailwind component this can be a challenge. As 50% of approaches are done at LHR the standard becomes the green procedure, but this is not always apt or sensible. Green procedures are “nice to do” not an SOP but a pilot who is tired and maybe a little lazy and has not thought about it can stick to what they know rather than adapt to the day - hence go-arounds in light tailwind conditions in light A319s. Besides which they all need a bit of banter so - lack of skill😂

Last edited by Waterhorse; Jun 23, 2023 at 8:44 am
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Yeah
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
there's been a recent SOP change.
Seems that “informed knowledge” has trumped “instant opinion” here and that the answer to the OPs question here appears to be “no, this is not a coincidence”.
EDDLEGLL and Sigwx like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Lack of skill😂
Not enough balls 😉 Geneva Lever anyone? 😂
Waterhorse likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Geneva Lever anyone? 😂
Seems a little fancy for an aircraft!

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Geneva-Chro...-Pair/p/275793

Okay, once I added "pilot" onto the query, Google decoded it for me
Old Jun 23, 2023, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sigwx
Not enough balls 😉 Geneva Lever anyone? 😂
Let the aircraft land itself.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
Let the aircraft land itself.
Only one minor problem with this concept - we weren’t talking about landing. Keep up Bloggs
Lynyrd likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
While most comments refer to the A319 with light loads, I’ve also heard the A321 can be tricky in windy conditions given the extra length behind the main wheels which limit the amount of flare which can be applied to avoid a tail strike.
Any comments from the BA crew on those planes? (I’m sure all aircraft have their own unique issues!)

Pilot37
Old Jun 23, 2023, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pilot37
While most comments refer to the A319 with light loads, I’ve also heard the A321 can be tricky in windy conditions given the extra length behind the main wheels which limit the amount of flare which can be applied to avoid a tail strike.
Any comments from the BA crew on those planes? (I’m sure all aircraft have their own unique issues!)

Pilot37
The A321 is a long body and needs to be handled accurately in the flare but it’s not a big deal. The real problem is caused by the technique used with the shorter bodied A320 and A319. The Airbus technique for landing both these is to flare at 30 feet and close the thrust levers. However, the 319 particularly and a light 320 will allow a later, more rapid or snatched flare.

The technique for the 321 is identical but has no leeway for the later flare, indeed landing a 321 in this fashion is likely to lead to a tail scrape as it requires a bigger flare to arrest more inertia and you are closer to limiting pitch. Also as you land a 321(indeed any of them) the spoilers automatically deploy, the aircraft is now in ground law too which means that the spoilers create a pitch up, further pushing you toward limiting pitch.

Add a little bit of low speed and Bob’s your uncle a tail scrape magically happens. Given that most of the fleet are the shorter bodied aircraft, muscle memory for most pilots is set for the A320/319 not the 321.

So if your landing technique needs brushing up, then the A321 can be challenging. The NEO also made things more exciting as the rate of speed decay in the flare is greater with the larger frontal area of the engines reducing flare time and changing the feel of the aircraft. They are notoriously difficult to land smoothly if you fly mixed types.

In general, I preferred the 321 as the greater inertia makes for a smoother ride
crazy8534, Pilot37, KARFA and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Jun 23, 2023 at 9:52 pm
Old Jun 23, 2023, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Shout out to Waterhorse Sigwx , Jumbodriver and others in the know - in this thread and others. While I may have to flip tabs between this and google, I find your insight and explanations fascinating.

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.