Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booking AY through BA.com - no seat selection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2023, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Booked an Avios flight to HEL today (AY A350 business class both ways; BA Silver) and was surprised when I checked booking on Finnair that it won’t let me choose a seat without payment. Is there any way round this to free seat selection or do I just have to wait till check in? My only other experience of booking Avios flights on other OW carriers is AA, who give free choice.

Old Jun 18, 2023, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by aristoph
Booked an Avios flight to HEL today (AY A350 business class both ways; BA Silver) and was surprised when I checked booking on Finnair that it won’t let me choose a seat without payment. Is there any way round this to free seat selection or do I just have to wait till check in? My only other experience of booking Avios flights on other OW carriers is AA, who give free choice.
Is it definitely asking you for payment? I booked only a few days ago with Avios, DUB-HEL on a 320 and HEL-LHR on the 350 and it lets me choose seats just fine on Finnair's site with no cost.

It looks like it's going to charge you, but when you select everything it's still zero.

My only advice is maybe to wait until tomorrow in case something sorts itself out overnight, but you shouldn't have to pay as a BA Silver (oneworld Sapphire) - as Finnair give their Gold (Sapphire) and above free seat selection so it should be the same.
jerry a. laska and Joeykins like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aristoph

AY won't let you select seats on a codeshare flight. I think AY prime flights booked through Avios are the same since AY wouldn't be the plating or ticketing carrier. From the AY website do an online chat or from the APP click on ... more to get to the chat feature. A little convoluted getting to an agent but once you do, they can assign a seat for no fee if you have the appropriate status.

James
Joeykins likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 18, 2023 at 2:33 pm
Old Jun 18, 2023, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Is it definitely asking you for payment? I booked only a few days ago with Avios, DUB-HEL on a 320 and HEL-LHR on the 350 and it lets me choose seats just fine on Finnair's site with no cost.

It looks like it's going to charge you, but when you select everything it's still zero.

My only advice is maybe to wait until tomorrow in case something sorts itself out overnight, but you shouldn't have to pay as a BA Silver (oneworld Sapphire) - as Finnair give their Gold (Sapphire) and above free seat selection so it should be the same.
Oh yes you’re right, duh my bad. When you click on it the cost is £0. I was thrown as Finnair puts it under extras to be paid for!
FlightDetective likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.