Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Delayed LHR-JNB; delay complaint for ruined trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Supposed to be flying to JNB tonight and coming back on Sunday. Really short trip I get it.

however, now had email about flight delay.

now flying 0855 on 16/6/23 vs 2125 15/6/23.

we’re flying down from Glasgow at 1530 today.

what are our options here?

unbelievable.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:51 am

You can ask to be rerouted on LH/LX ex GLA or LH/QR ex EDI. You can also claim for EU/UK261 compensation if arriving more than 3hrs later into JNB than scheduled.

Unfortunately this is completely believable at the moment.... BA is losing my confidence with every day that passes. Completely avoidable but this is the path BA choses to go down.
kthomas, SxMan, RJBP and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:54 am
Original Poster

We are in first class.
do they have responsibility to put us in the same cabin?
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Been looking and no much First.
I like your idea of Qatar via Doha but MUST they put us in business class?
must they offer this or can they refuse?
thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Bophopper
Been looking and no much First.
I like your idea of Qatar via Doha but MUST they put us in business class?
must they offer this or can they refuse?
thanks.
LH/LX F would be a good option.
QR don't offer F to JNB so highest cabin would be Business. My experience isBA won't actively offer. It is for you to suggest.
I'm not certain where you'd stand on reimbursement for the QR downgrade either as this would be a voluntary downgrade. My advice is stick to LH/LX F where possible and put in a retrospective Avios/Tier Points submission next week when you return.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:14 am
Original Poster

It’s an avios booking.
does that make a difference?
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:22 am

The only time I've had significant retimings at short notice when traveling on Avios award tickets I've accepted the delay/retiming and submitted for delay compensation so I have no experience in swapping out to other options in your situation. Only on cash tickets.

My understanding is BA will move you to other services with availability operated by them regardless to Avios availability but not necessarily to other carriers where Avios availability needs to be there. If for example QR J was available you could ask to be moved to that option and at the prevailing amount of avios..... you'd then waiver your right to delay compensation.

You've not mentioned whether a Amex 241 is in use on the current ticket. This could well reduce what options are available to you also if you are indeed using one.

As it stands BA will cover the costs of LHR overnight accommodation and meal expenses because of the short notice retiming as well as delay compensation to the tune of €600/Ł520 per person.

This would be sufficient to encourage me to go with the rebooking option being offered.
​​​​​​
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:23 am
Original Poster

No 241 this time.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Are you able to get to the airport earlier or is 1530 the first flight you can make today?
kthomas and DXB2745 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC silver
I’ve had an avios booking rebooked onto a non OW carrier, KLM by pressing on the phone operator my rights under EU261, they booked me after a bit of faffing and escalation on their end into J with KLM, thus same cabin class.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:53 am
Original Poster

BA trying to say it’s “outside their policy” to book on Qatar from Edinburgh …..
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Yeah.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You would need to find an alternative for GLA to JNB if re-routing on another airline, the 300 mile rule is for BA operated services which won't help here.

I think it's really up to you to decide your options
- stick to the new time of original flight?
- find an alternative, which may not be in FIrst? There are so few First seats globally now that it can genuinely be tricky to find a spare one, let alone two of them.

In terms of hotels etc: this this the thread you may want to bookmark:

Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know
orbitmic and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Bophopper
BA trying to say it’s “outside their policy” to book on Qatar from Edinburgh …..
Thats because you are flying originally from GLA not EDI. Only when it suits them will they offer alternative departure airports. Even on other oneworld airlines they seem hell bent on not offering anything proactive to you. I was told they wouldnt re route me on Alaska. Until I said why not they are part of the oneworld alliance and the lady said are they. Its ridiculous. I would look at your options and go back to them with a solution
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:22 am
Original Poster

I’ve got myself onto edi Doha on qr in business which is fine.
my dad , flying in business, is being refused a changed.
can they do that?
Blenheim likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.