Wiki Posts
Search

LCY-JFK Former Route Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2023, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
LCY-JFK Former Route Questions

Does anyone have any idea how much it cost BA to have pre-clearance at SNN? My understanding is they were on the hook for this service.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by wutlol
Does anyone have any idea how much it cost BA to have pre-clearance at SNN? My understanding is they were on the hook for this service.
SNN has had pre-clearance for a long, long time prior to the BA flight. Until the 90s it was the only approved departure point for all Ex-Ireland flight to the USA.

The 20 min DUB-SNN hop in a 747 was the ultimate in pork barrel politics.
Markie, salut0, SW7London and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGLfL
US military used SNN also. Towards the end the immigration hall was much busier than when the service first started.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:45 am

The airport pays for pre-clearance. I’m sure they pass some or all of those costs onto airlines using it, but any details would be commmercially sensitive so anyone who knew wouldn’t be able to post them here.

What is fair to say, however, is that at no point were BA the only airline using it, so they would never have had to pay the full cost, only a proportion.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I always quite enjoyed the pre-clearance stop in SNN on this route - in the days before pre-clearance was available many other places, and before Global Entry, it was super convenient and felt like a very weird anachronism to stop in SNN on the way to JFK - now much more efficient with Global Entry to just fly direct, but I did love the sneaky hassle-free arrival as a "domestic" flight into JFK - those were the days

I miss the LCY flight!
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by ratypus
I miss the LCY flight!
Me too. Also the F tier points that it generated for a long while.
Markie, ttama and BETTERMJ like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP, FI
Originally Posted by dca100
Me too. Also the F tier points that it generated for a long while.
Was there a time when JFK-LCY passengers could access the JFK CCR before the flight?
I did the flight a fair few times more LCY-JFK - the stop in SNN was novel.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
In 2012 when I first used it I had to use the GC in T7 (was a bronze at the time) - so I imagine there wasn’t a time when it came with any special lounge access.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 13, 2023 at 10:31 am
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red
Only did this flight once and loved it (and the babyBus!)
PETER01 and ttama like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Sealink
Only did this flight once and loved it (and the babyBus!)
1 of my 2 BA regrets was that I never flew on the Babybus, and I had many chances to, nor did I ever travel on Concorde (and I had the chance to as well)

Anyhow, talking about this route and former questions for anyone interested here is a related thread as I was always curious what it was like flying on such a small aircraft across the Atlantic. (If anyone is interested please see post #50 for an good explanation by Sigwx )

A318 LCY-JFK: Is it a 'bumpier' ride going TATL due to it's size?
River in Sight, salut0 and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I'm happy I did the LCY-SNN-JFK BabyBus once but didn't feel like I needed to do it again. The novelty was fun, and flying out of LCY was a breeze, but there wasn't lounge access, wi-fi, or a competitive seating product with a 2-2 layout. As a US citizen with Global Entry, I think it would typically have been quicker for me to fly LHR-JFK and use Global Entry as opposed to preclearing at SNN, although I know that's not the case for everyone.

Now, the Concorde, on the other hand....
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fatmac70
Was there a time when JFK-LCY passengers could access the JFK CCR before the flight?
With status is was certainly possible. There was at least one occasion when they allowed all LCY passengers into CCR, the service was running late and they wanted to close off the First section of the main lounges. But those without status would go to the Club lounge in line with out CW passengers - and that was where the food was.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:35 am
formerly JackDann

This was on my bucket list for years and had it booked for my birthday 17th June 2020 - unfortunately it was axed around April time and never came back, gutted!
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by JD1905
This was on my bucket list for years and had it booked for my birthday 17th June 2020 - unfortunately it was axed around April time and never came back, gutted!
I think it will reappear in the future with the A220 and a more up to date business class but perhaps/not with BA.
ttama likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Calum
I think it will reappear in the future with the A220 and a more up to date business class but perhaps/not with BA.
wasn’t odyssey supposed to do this? Still waiting the first flight tho over 10 years on.

Is Odyssey Airlines going to be a threat to BA?
Keystone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.