Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Value of Avios correct?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Value of Avios correct?

Hi all. I’m new to Avios so please bear with me.

I’m looking at a flight to Orlando from London next year. The flights I am using for price comparison are:

LGW-MCO 14:30 on 7/5/24. (BA2039)
MCO-LGW 20:50 on 13/5/24. (BA2038)

I am being quoted 540,000 avois plus £2456. However the cash price for the same flight is £6832.

This is valuing the 540k Avios at £4376 or £0.008 per point.

I was (perhaps wrongly) under the impression I should be getting much more value per point if redeeming for business travel. Am I wrong?

Perhaps I’m not redeeming as a reward flight and instead using Avois as cash? I can’t see how to use as a reward flight.

Any help appreciated.

edited to add: this is 2 adults and a 10 year old. Forgot to state.

Last edited by GibFlyer; Jun 11, 2023 at 3:52 am
Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
That looks completely wrong if it’s for one person. Are you signing in on ba.com and then following the link “book with avios”? You should get around 6 price points for a return. Not sure what cabin you are looking at, but for J the mid price point should be around 120k avios and £850.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I was going to say, I can't add that up. For 2 people + child it starts to make sense!

It looks like you are simply using Avios as a part pay rather than using a redemption or using UuA. One the perils I have when trying to give advice in this area is that some passengers don't see the difference between the 3 channels involved there.

If you use Part Pay then 0.8 pence is not great value for money, unless you have no other way to offload Avios. I usually advise against Part Pay since unless there is either deal on or at the lowest Avios point the value is poor and if you end up in a cancel/refund scenario you will be selling off your Avios for a crummy amount.

For redemptions you need to go on to the redemption screen quite specifically (under Book), find a service that works for you then play around with the Avios versus cash amount to see which is the best value point. So I tend to input 1 penny an Avios on the various options, add in the cash and plump for the lowest overall cash amount. Alternatively translate the cash into Avios, same thing.

Upgrade using Avios is a different mechanism, you find a lower cost WTP option then use the Upgrade screen to go to CW and see what the cost differential is. Sometimes that is a good option when the WTP fare isn't too bad and CW is sky high, but to USA it isn't always the bargain it was. You can still get 2+ pence per Avios value for this if you look hard enough.
GibFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Hi. I suspect that you are being quoted the maximum Avios lowest cash option. There should be an option to select more options which will reduce the number of Avios but increase the cash element.

The return fare in Club World should be 250k plus
£1680 in tfcs for 2 adults

You really would benefit from having a BA Amex companion voucher

I certainly wouldn't be using Avios if that is all you are being quoted .
GibFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJA_
Hi. I suspect that you are being quoted the maximum Avios lowest cash option. There should be an option to select more options which will reduce the number of Avios but increase the cash element.

Thanks for the reply, I do also have a companion voucher I’m just trying to figure out the best options and the price quotes seemed a lot higher than expected.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was going to say, I can't add that up. For 2 people + child it starts to make sense!

It looks like you are simply using Avios as a part pay rather than using a redemption or using UuA. One the perils I have when trying to give advice in this area is that some passengers don't see the difference between the 3 channels involved there.

If you use Part Pay then 0.8 pence is not great value for money, unless you have no other way to offload Avios. I usually advise against Part Pay since unless there is either deal on or at the lowest Avios point the value is poor and if you end up in a cancel/refund scenario you will be selling off your Avios for a crummy amount.

For redemptions you need to go on to the redemption screen quite specifically (under Book), find a service that works for you then play around with the Avios versus cash amount to see which is the best value point. So I tend to input 1 penny an Avios on the various options, add in the cash and plump for the lowest overall cash amount. Alternatively translate the cash into Avios, same thing.

Upgrade using Avios is a different mechanism, you find a lower cost WTP option then use the Upgrade screen to go to CW and see what the cost differential is. Sometimes that is a good option when the WTP fare isn't too bad and CW is sky high, but to USA it isn't always the bargain it was. You can still get 2+ pence per Avios value for this if you look hard enough.
Thanks CWS you confirmed my thinking that it didn’t seem right. I’ll have to have a play around to see what I can do.

In reality I wouldn’t be booking this flight alone as in Gibraltar based and would need the connecting leg too. It’s my understanding that I’ll save on taxes if starting the journey from here too but I think I will need to call up to book as it doesn’t appear to an option to book the connecting flight online!
Old Jun 11, 2023, 7:13 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold

This is the price for one person that you should be seeing.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 7:17 am
Original Poster

This is what I’m seeing.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AJA_

Try 360,000 and £900. I think your figures are out of date and prior to the roll out of RFS on all long haul routes.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by GibFlyer

This is what I’m seeing.
I guess that taxes differ based on where your account is registered. Anyway, hard to defend these prices when cash fares in that period are 1.6K EUR from Malaga or Sevilla.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by kingcole974
Try 360,000 and £900. I think your figures are out of date and prior to the roll out of RFS on all long haul routes.
I agree with the default figures you're seeing but the figures I quoted are what is available if you click on more pricing options.

The point is that you do not have to accept the default prices you are quoted.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deckter
I guess that taxes differ based on where your account is registered. Anyway, hard to defend these prices when cash fares in that period are 1.6K EUR from Malaga or Sevilla.
That certainly may be the reason, I’m based in Gibraltar though and thought the tax would be less. It certainly is if I start the journey here (but can’t seem to use points when I have a change in London).

I’m interested in the Seville or Malaga options though, which airline please?
Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:05 am

Are you booking a normal flight and using Avios to reduce the price or are you wanting a reward booking: https://www.britishairways.com/travel/redeem/execclub
Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Deckter

This is the price for one person that you should be seeing.
Be careful with currencies, everyone.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zarp
Are you booking a normal flight and using Avios to reduce the price or are you wanting a reward booking: https://www.britishairways.com/travel/redeem/execclub
Yep. Thats the URL I’m using.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.