Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Confirms “Refresh” of Galleries T5B Lounge & Whispering Angel Rose Bar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club

British Airways has confirmed in a press release it will “refresh” the Galleries lounge in T5B in the coming months, as well as plans for a Whispering Angel rose bar:

BA Media Centre

• British Airways has announced plans for an exclusive Whispering Angel rosé bar, inviting customers to enjoy the refreshing French tipple ahead of their flight from Heathrow Terminal 5
  • Opening this summer, the bespoke bar will be located in the British Airways lounge near the B gates at London Heathrow Terminal 5 (Terminal 5B)
  • The airline will also be refreshing this lounge over the coming months
7 June 2023 – British Airways has announced plans for an exclusive Whispering Angel lounge bar, becoming the first airline to have a bespoke bar dedicated to the famed rosé wine.

The bespoke bar, which will exclusively offer Caves d’Esclans’ Whispering Angel rosé, will be located in the airline’s lounge at Terminal 5 B at London Heathrow - often referred to as one of Heathrow’s best kept secrets.

The bar, coloured pale pink to emulate the light tones of the rosé served, is expected to open this summer. The opening will coincide with a refresh of the airline’s B gates lounge which will include new and reupholstered furniture, as well as a refreshed layout.

Last edited by Ghrycllwl; Jul 13, 2023 at 12:50 pm
Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
While this is welcome news, I do hope there’s a similar announcement in the works for the A lounges and those need more than a refresh or a new bar.
worldtrav, Fritz, seanp7 and 10 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
This will please my wife and take the edge off travelling with kids!
Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Tacky.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Yuck.
HFHFFlyer and AleTrail like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 8:44 am

A very interesting choice by BA. Whispering Angel is a very controvertial, averaging around £20 a bottle and very mixed views depending who you speak to but in my experience very popular with women than men. I would not be surprised if it goes down like a lead baloon here on the forum.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
An apparent ‘supply issue’ with Rosé Champagne at T5 FLounge has blighted iWife’s recent transits. Perhaps this is deemed an offset?
trolleymusic and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, why would they brand a whole 'bar' over a wine <£20 per bottle?
They've really been pushing English sparkling wines recently (as per press release), wouldn't one of those have been more suitable?
Old Jun 7, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
An apparent ‘supply issue’ with Rosé Champagne at T5 FLounge has blighted iWife’s recent transits. Perhaps this is deemed an offset?
I believe the 'supply issue' is that the delivery trucks of the Lanson Rose are going straight to the CCR
Old Jun 7, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Ghrycllwl
British Airways has confirmed in a press release it will “refresh” the Galleries lounge in T5B in the coming months, as well as plans for a Whispering Angel rose bar:
Do the suppliers pay BA for these gimmicks?

I really don't understand the attraction of this kind of thing at all, but maybe I'm not the target market.

Great news on the refresh, be curious to see how the layout changes.
ttama, nancypants and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Perhaps BA have been reading these forums, specifically the "love in the lounge" thread, and decided to provide an area for the ladies to enjoy their Rose wine and for gentlemen to call upon them away from the masses
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Very odd that they would run a bar that serves only one type of wine. Not sure I’ve ever heard that done anywhere else, airport or otherwise. Even the Bollinger tent at Twickers offers various different vintages and NV products to those who feel inclined to visit (not me).

That said, I am sure it will catch on and I look forward to the Sugar Hut in Brentwood and Plaza Beach in Marbella rolling out their own versions very soon. They will doubtless become great places to congregate, and have FaceTime calls on loudspeaker whilst plonking your bare feet on the tables.
strowger, Berrisfo, becks1 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
While this is welcome news, I do hope there’s a similar announcement in the works for the A lounges and those need more than a refresh or a new bar.
A lounges definitely need more attention, but as I've asked so many times: how? T5A lounges are constantly so busy I can't see how they can close them or even part of them to refurbish. At least T5B is fairly quiet and, dare I say this, could even be temporarily closed and travellers encouraged to use T5A lounges, whilst it's refurbished. Problem with T5A is you can't send people to alternative locations as easily. I don't see how they can refurb them as we'd like without chaos. And I'm sure BA knows this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
To be fair, it's decent rose - if overpriced. From my perspective it’s likely to be better than a lot of the stuff they have in that lounge so it’s a welcome addition. Doesn't sound like it will be taking the place of anything there so why not.
ENTP likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by chriswiles
A lounges definitely need more attention, but as I've asked so many times: how? T5A lounges are constantly so busy I can't see how they can close them or even part of them to refurbish. At least T5B is fairly quiet and, dare I say this, could even be temporarily closed and travellers encouraged to use T5A lounges, whilst it's refurbished. Problem with T5A is you can't send people to alternative locations as easily. I don't see how they can refurb them as we'd like without chaos. And I'm sure BA knows this.
If they offered people a £20 credit to use in T5 for F+,B whilst the work was ongoing instead of lounge access. Perhaps for domestics and OWS in SH Y they would probably free up enough capacity to do the work accross both lounges.

As this involves money doubt BA would do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.