Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Summer strike planned - LHR T5 & T3 security staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2023 | 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Accor Gold, Amex Plat

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-e...mer-of-strife/
Unite the union has announced a major escalation of its dispute with Heathrow Airport Limited (HAL) over low pay.

The union has announced 31 days of strike action beginning on Saturday 24 June (see notes to editors for full list below). The strikes will involve over 2,000 security officers.

For the first time security officers based at Terminal Three, who voted for strike action last week, will join their colleagues from Terminal Five and campus security on the picket line.
The workers will be on strike on:

24, 25, 28, 29 and 30 June
14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 23, 24, 28, 29, 30 31 July
4, 5, 6 , 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, and 27 August.
AutismoSupremo likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 6:02 am

Programs: Ba exec blue
Thats annoying, have our first real family long haul holiday to China on the weekend in July.

Wondering if BA will allow us to move our seats to a weekday to avoid disruption.

over a month out so hopefully gets resolved before we fly!
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 6:07 am
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 6:40 am
5 Years on Site

How can so many strike dates be allowed and going ahead? The scale of this disruption is getting ridiculous.
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Papereyes
Thats annoying, have our first real family long haul holiday to China on the weekend in July.

Wondering if BA will allow us to move our seats to a weekday to avoid disruption.

over a month out so hopefully gets resolved before we fly!
I wouldn't worry, having travelled on previous strike dates and having to use Fast Track rather than First Wing and was through in five minutes. Very friendly and efficient
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I wouldn't worry, having travelled on previous strike dates and having to use Fast Track rather than First Wing and was through in five minutes. Very friendly and efficient
That was my experience and that of most others as well. I do wonder thoughwith T3 joining the party, not sure it will be so easy to plug the gaps for so many dates during peak season. Lets hope for the best.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 6:50 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BA Executive Blue
I will be travelling on 25th June, early in the morning. Will plan in some more time just in case.
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 7:12 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
As earlier strikes had minimal effects I'm concerned that this time round they'll do their best to create the maximum disruption. Unfortunately flying out on Sunday 16, July at least it's a late afternoon flight which might be preferable to the morning. Flying out of T5, although the First wing will probably be closed again I'm sure security will be better than the zoo in T3.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mrpacifist
How can so many strike dates be allowed and going ahead? The scale of this disruption is getting ridiculous.
I'm not sure how the union will be able to convince their members to strike for a full month without pay... They probably can pay some strikers but not for 2000 members for 30 days. This was just created for the media as a threat I would expect strikes on a few days but not for this long, etc.
LETTERBOY, JTXC, Magnus77 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 7:23 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
OP, thanks for posting.

This is unfortunate. I will try to avoid LHR for the entire summer, and London for that matter.
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 7:29 am
20 Years on Site

As someone who occasionally uses T3, what does this actually mean? Apparently reduced numbers of "security officers", but apparently others fill in and life goes on albeit slowly? No one seems to be saying they will have to shut down access, so I guess this is not catastrophic....
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 7:43 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold
How have the strikes been affecting flight transfers, please? We are connecting on one of those dates ex-DUB to US. We are not used to flight connections at LHR having always flown direct up to now, but the kids are older so we are bolder.
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I will try to avoid LHR for the entire summer, and London for that matter.
My current Plan B: EI LCY-DUB-USA. DUB C&I preclearance a bonus.
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 7:55 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
How have the strikes been affecting flight transfers, please? We are connecting on one of those dates ex-DUB to US. We are not used to flight connections at LHR having always flown direct up to now, but the kids are older so we are bolder.
I did a transfer on one of the early June strike dates and there was no evidence of any disruptions. The main problem was closed escalators in A going down to the transit, with a resulting long queue for the lifts. I don't think the escalator issue had anything to do with the strike, though. In fact, there were cheerful LHR employees keeping things moving at the lifts. (The LHR equivalent to the Tokyo subway "pushers".) And my main complaint about the escalator issue was the complete lack of notice in the Flounge or anywhere else, which would have let us budget more time to get to our connection in C.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023 | 8:09 am
30 Countries Visited40 Nights2M10 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
I was also there at the start of this years security strikes and I would second that it was if anything a more pleasant experience than normal. I am sure this came at a significant cost to HAL in terms of agency staff etc.

One thing to point out is that previously BA have stopped selling outbound flights on strike days closer to the time so if you have planned a trip and not booked yet then now may be the time to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.