Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA dropping PHL?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2023, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Is BA dropping PHL?

I heard a rumor that BA is dropping flying to Philadelphia. Is that true? If so, when?
Old Jun 3, 2023, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I heard a rumor that BA is dropping flying to Philadelphia. Is that true? If so, when?
It's still on sale throughout winter and into next summer. I would be surprised if they did drop PHL, it's an AA hub so a fair amount of connecting pax and North America is BA's bread and butter in terms of revenue. They do seem to be dropping San Jose, CA though after the summer. Maybe yields on that route were not up to expectations.

Last edited by Josh882; Jun 3, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Old Jun 3, 2023, 8:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Yes. I think it’s true you heard a rumour. Apparently.

Not sure when you heard it tho.

onobond and omk298 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:37 pm

Looks like it has been dropped between June 10th and 20th. Guessing this is related to the shortage of aircraft right now.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:57 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
How can a major airline get itself into a position where it (seems) is always short of aircraft ?
A rhetorical question I suppose as most here would know the answer.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 12:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I really miss the 747s they scrapped. Bet they do now too.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by gcuk
I really miss the 747s they scrapped. Bet they do now too.
I do wonder why they cant bring them back. LH bringing a380s...
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 2:39 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I do wonder why they cant bring them back. LH bringing a380s...
I think at least some of them would require quite a lot of sticking back together 😀
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
Sure BA are privately kicking themselves for scrapping all of the 747s.

At the time it may have made shrewd financial sense to do it. But considering how unpredictable travel was and has recovered. At the very least they should have long term stored a few until they were confident on the 777x schedule
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Jambon87
Sure BA are privately kicking themselves for scrapping all of the 747s.

At the time it may have made shrewd financial sense to do it. But considering how unpredictable travel was and has recovered. At the very least they should have long term stored a few until they were confident on the 777x schedule
It made NO financial sense back then either. The 747s still had a few years' flying in their wings and, above all, they had all but just a few been extensively refurbished with Wi-Fi and new, state-of-the-art, IFE at a cost of hundreds of millions. And, yet, they were alienated at what I understand was a ridiculously low price. In fact, if you check IAG's accounts for those years, you see how the planes were basically written off as if lost.

This, together with the layoffs in key areas such as Engineering, not having bunks on the 787-10 for crews, or not having a midship galley in the 350-1000 (hell, they didn't even have a cross-aisle passage in Traveller!) is one of the many foolish decisions that Alex took in his tenure.

Most airlines simply mothballed airplanes and used furlough schemes; Michael O'Leary famously predicted a V-shaped rebound in customer demand and did not alienate neither planes nor crews. And now FR is reaping the profits, as well as MO'L himself.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
It made NO financial sense back then either. The 747s still had a few years' flying in their wings and, above all, they had all but just a few been extensively refurbished with Wi-Fi and new, state-of-the-art, IFE at a cost of hundreds of millions. And, yet, they were alienated at what I understand was a ridiculously low price. In fact, if you check IAG's accounts for those years, you see how the planes were basically written off as if lost.

This, together with the layoffs in key areas such as Engineering, not having bunks on the 787-10 for crews, or not having a midship galley in the 350-1000 (hell, they didn't even have a cross-aisle passage in Traveller!) is one of the many foolish decisions that Alex took in his tenure.

Most airlines simply mothballed airplanes and used furlough schemes; Michael O'Leary famously predicted a V-shaped rebound in customer demand and did not alienate neither planes nor crews. And now FR is reaping the profits, as well as MO'L himself.
Michael O'Leary is a lot smarter than anyone that's been involved at the top of BA for a very long time. BA follow, have ceased to innovate, are ultra cautious on anything that involves spend, but very ambitious on anything that involves a saving. BA know the cost of everything and the value of not much. Dumping the 747s was the short term easy choice, low risk and zero consideration for the medium to long term.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:37 am

would be surprised if PHL was to be canned TBH..
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:46 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
I'd think it's more likely that PHL being something of an AA hub, rather than the route being dropped altogether, BA might step back and let AA run the flights under the JBA. They still get a decent chunk of change for marketing the flights under BA codes.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Michael O'Leary runs a considerably less complicated operation than BA does, and I'd be very careful what you wish for if we're looking at his ideas as a barometer of BA can innovate.

He was however completely right regarding the bounceback in travel, although I'm not sure the extent IAG/BA is feeling the heat on its decisions as the capacity that's come out the market probably means higher fares which they'll benefit from.
mguinness and imkevinmc like this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by frb98mf
I'd think it's more likely that PHL being something of an AA hub, rather than the route being dropped altogether, BA might step back and let AA run the flights under the JBA. They still get a decent chunk of change for marketing the flights under BA codes.
Didn't the same thing happened for CLT years ago.
With no direct competitors or a very few indirect competition to PHL from Europe, this movement would make economically sense.

With Lufthansa pulling up from PHL and shifting their flights to Eurowings Discover; there is no full service legacy carrier left out of Philadelphia to Europe except for Aer Lingus.
frb98mf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.