Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage restrictions on the 423 bus to T5

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2023, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Baggage restrictions on the 423 bus to T5

Minor heads up for those of us who take the 423 from the Bath Road to T5. This morning on a not particularly busy bus, the driver was refusing to let passengers with large suitcases board, directing them either to the ‘next bus’ or the Hoppa.

As might be imagined, this led to a number of arguments during the course of which it was revealed that there had been an incident a week or two back where a passenger had fallen over a suitcase in the aisle leading presumably to a safety review and a policy. There were some large bags onboard so it was quantity related.

Possibly he was being overzealous, but worth knowing.
sammyg901, ttama, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 3:24 am

Not just the 423 but I find any bus in London can be challenging especially at peak hours as much of the space onboard where bags are stored tend to be for elderly and disabled passengers.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
For Those travelling from the Thistle/PI T5 to T5, remember you also have the 350 from stop T at the back of the Premier Inn.
MaxFlyer, becks1 and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
a passenger had fallen over a suitcase in the aisle leading presumably to a safety review and a policy.
Policy has always been there, so my guess is historically drivers were turning a blind eye, and that's what's been stopped.

TFL CoC dated November 2022 (my bold and italics):

9.1 For safety reasons, and for the comfort of other passengers, we have to control what you
can bring with you onto our services and property, although we do not charge you for the things
we allow.

Our services can be busy, so you must ensure that what you bring with you does not get in the
way of others.

You must ensure that what you bring with you, such as your shopping or luggage, does not block
a seat, the aisles and doors, stairs, lifts or passages.

9.2 Staff can refuse permission for you to take any item onto our services.
becks1, SxMan and DXB2745 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 5:22 am

There have been an increasing number of incidents ultimately caused by idiots putting suitcases wheels-down on the bus. Bus moves, case careers down the aisle, if it’s heavy it takes out a child. Twice in a week recently one company has needed ambulances to be called.

If people thought for just a second and put their case sideways, without all four wheels touching the floor, they would realise it would remain immobile. Most drivers near the airport happily allowed the wheelchair space to be used for this if not already occupied, but some are now sticking heavier to the rules given the above.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 5:36 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Confus

If people thought for just a second and put their case sideways, without all four wheels touching the floor, they would realise it would remain immobile. Most drivers near the airport happily allowed the wheelchair space to be used for this if not already occupied, but some are now sticking heavier to the rules given the above.
You are not wrong but there are drivers out there who are just little martinets. Quoting "'Elth an Safty Mate" I have watched it in action. I once flew from EMA and a Spanish couple who had a push chair, a couple of suitcases, and precious little English who were coming from the car rental place were refused by the bus driver on such grounds in a tone that brooked no leeway or argument. They didn't understand so he started to shout. HI and I sprang into action helping them stow the cases and I told the driver in no uncertain terms how unreasonable and unpleasant he was being to visitors to the country. He told me to mind my own business and I said that the way visitors who did not speak much English became my business, He had been chatting to some girl from W., H. Smiths (I think) right beneath a sign instructing that the driver was not to be disturbed. I won't bore you with the outcome - as HI got stuck in at that stage.

However, sometimes these drivers think that they are Lewis Hamilton and Mick Lynch combined. They can be lovely and they can be proper sourpusses.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
choosethedrew, Smid, KARFA and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
The definition of a pushchair
MaxFlyer and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Confus
without all four wheels touching the floor, they would realise it would remain immobile
You mean what happens naturally if you don't buy those idiotic spinner suitcases.

Might be all fun and games walking around the airport, but they are, quite literally, a liability anywhere else.

I refuse to buy them, point blank.
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Feel free. Not everyone is young, agile or strong. We all have choices in life.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Feel free. Not everyone is young, agile or strong. We all have choices in life.
Ok, I genuinely have no idea what you are on about.

I have traveled extensively for decades.

Before spinners were a fashion-craze, every single generation were perfectly happy with two wheels. I never heard anyone complain.

Even in today's world, I still regularly encounter people in their 70s and 80s who seem to have no problem whatsoever with their two-wheel suitcases that they have clearly owned for decades.

There is no difference in "agile" or "strong" when talking two wheel vs four wheel. To suggest there is is pure nonsense best reserved for the sales catalogue of a suitcase. manufacturer.

May I also remind you that I was replying to someone who said "put their case sideways, without all four wheels touching the floor" , in which case, your wholly unsubstantiated claims about needing to be "young, agile or strong" go straight out the window, since "put case sideways" will involve a bit of physical exercise on the part of the suitcase owner.
willoL and AirborneLocksmith like this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OuterBanks
Might be all fun and games walking around the airport, but they are, quite literally, a liability anywhere else..
In an airport is about the 1 place where the wheels are unnecessary - I haven't been to an airport that doesn't have luggage trolleys
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
2 wheels to 4 wheels on a suitcase is called innovation. I would never buy a 2 wheel suitcase again and don’t understand people that do. The ease with which you can walk with them without pulling them behind you as trip a hazard is a no brainier to me.
worldtrav, arf04, PAL62V and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In an airport is about the 1 place where the wheels are unnecessary - I haven't been to an airport that doesn't have luggage trolleys
More and more of them are charging fees to use them these days. $6 at the last US airport I used.
T8191 and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by OuterBanks
There is no difference in "agile" or "strong" when talking two wheel vs four wheel.
Basic physics begs to differ….
arf04 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.