Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC now forcing SMS authentication?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2023, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
BAEC now forcing SMS authentication?

Logging on to my account today, was forced to add a phone number and receive a code by SMS to login.

Was then given a long 'recovery code' which would be needed to access my account if I changed phone numbers or couldn't receive SMS.

Not sure if this is being rolled out to everyone or just some, but there seemed no way to opt-out or postpone.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
Logging on to my account today, was forced to add a phone number and receive a code by SMS to login.

Was then given a long 'recovery code' which would be needed to access my account if I changed phone numbers or couldn't receive SMS.

Not sure if this is being rolled out to everyone or just some, but there seemed no way to opt-out or postpone.
i read this
i got curious
i wanted to check if same for me...

tadaaaaaaa

sorry, cant help. even if i want to... but 2FA always sounds nice.
nancypants and fluffymitten like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
could log in now. nothing on my end.
Markie likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 3:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I do get SMS OTP sometimes (rarely though)
Old Jun 2, 2023, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC GfL
Originally Posted by Nephoi
i read this
i got curious
i wanted to check if same for me...

tadaaaaaaa

sorry, cant help. even if i want to... but 2FA always sounds nice.
I also go this message today, logged out and back in again and all worked ok, still no bookings showing in MMB as usual these days
Old Jun 2, 2023, 3:08 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Originally Posted by Royalscot
I also go this message today, logged out and back in again and all worked ok, still no bookings showing in MMB as usual these days
I've had this for the past two days. Click on the BA logo at the top and then the site seems to work.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
About time if they are rolling this out.

I've previously mentioned that the security for accounts is awful, especially as they don't even allow me to set a secure password for my account as the website does not like special characters.

I kind of wish that they allowed MFA using a verification code generated by apps such as the iOS Passwords app rather than SMS (since the verification code can be automatically filled in), but at least it's a step in the right direction by BA.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 3:21 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Paren

I've previously mentioned that the security for accounts is awful, especially as they don't even allow me to set a secure password for my account as the website does not like special characters.

I kind of wish that they allowed MFA using a verification code generated by apps such as the iOS Passwords app rather than SMS (since the verification code can be automatically filled in), but at least it's a step in the right direction by BA.
Those apps are terrible for User Experience in my opinion. 2FA I'm fine with, aslong as you are able to authenticate your device so that you don't need to do it every single time.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
2FA over SMS is horrible for security, TOTP is the way forward.
fluffymitten and Hydebear like this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 3:54 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
No requirement for me this morning either on desktop or for the App on the phone.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by stifle
Agreed and it's also dependent on being somewhere with mobile signal and there's no guarantee the message will arrive even then.
camdentown likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 4:53 am

And, of course, requires a mobile and a consistent number. Often when travelling I've swapped my SIM for a local one, although as esims become more popular that problem should diminish.
camdentown likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Not required for me today. And I hope never. For goodness sake, Shell requires 2-factor authorization to claim the £1.50 petrol discount or even my free mars bar !
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I go through a TOTP step with a five-minute clock whenever I log on to pay a modest electricity bill. Absurd that there is nothing analogous to protect BA bookings worth thousands, Avios balances, embedded CC data, etc. The front door is as good as ajar.

A few years ago I had all my Hilton Honors points stolen via a flawed Amazon backdoor on what was then a similarly loosey-goosey site. Hilton have tightened things up somewhat since with 2FA. (Though it should be noted that NIST in the States has warned for years of 2FA's inadequacies.)
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by Paren

they don't even allow me to set a secure password for my account as the website does not like special characters.
That's odd.. My 16-letter BAEC password contains an @..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.