Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Possibility of being downgraded? - Can I do anything now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2023, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Can't check in online for tomorrow's BA7 LHR-HND in Club World. Booked using companion voucher, and both pax are Blue members. Therefore extremely anxious.

Completely sold-out flight. Just called BA, and got a completely useless agent. They did not even take my booking reference. I questioned whether it was oversold and how likely I'll be downgraded. I was only told the flight is completely full and there were 8 blocked seats (accurate at the time of calling compared with expertflyer, and now there are only 7 left), and said only airport staff can assign them. I feel this is completely not true, as from my past experience at the check-in counters at LHR, the staff could only see what I can see as unblocked from my end, and could not assign me a blocked seat. The most recent time they even showed me their screen, and the seat map was exactly the same as what I saw from my end. Therefore, I feel like if these seats are still blocked tomorrow morning, I won't get a CW seat at the check-in counter anyway, and will only find out whether I can get one at the gate when the back office has done their algorithm of upgrade/downgrade.

Is the only thing I can do now just to go to the airport tomorrow morning and see whether we're actually downgraded, then negotiate with them for a solution there? I am completely aware I do not have any legal grounds to deny the downgrade and refuse to travel. I know I could get reimbursement (after escalating to CEDR due to the companion voucher zero-value nonsense), if we were downgraded and actually travelled on this flight. But I I'd rather be rebooked with a partner airline with a connection which leaves later today so I can still arrive in Tokyo on time for my planned holiday, as I do not want to fly in WT+ or WT on this long flight.

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y1 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
Old May 26, 2023, 4:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Calling Ba will not help. Until you are physically downgraded in the PNR no one will do anything.

at the airport if they do attempt to downgrade just tell them no thanks reroute me. There are JL NH QR EK options etc
Old May 26, 2023, 4:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think you may be overthinking this slightly. It is 100% the case that contact centre agents cannot re-assign seats under Airport Control. It's 100% the case that Theoretical Seating will release seats to agents at the airport. They are using FLUB on this. I take it you didn't pay to reserve a seat, but if you did you would not normally be downgraded. If you are downgraded you do have the option to go on another flight instead including JAL, QR, CX, and AY. There isn't a direct right to a refund but I suspect it would be offered - and under the CRA I doubt BA would be in a strong position to deny a refund.
Old May 26, 2023, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you are downgraded you do have the option to go on another flight instead including JAL, QR, CX...
Where, any of these, could be reasonably perceived as an "upgrade"...
Old May 26, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
JL or CX would be a lovely experience… CX and QF lounges in T3, and if flying CX you have access to several CX lounges and the newly reopened QF lounge in HKG (depending on length of connection etc). A downgrade on BA would be a blessing if you can get rerouted onto CX or JL in business class
becks1 and RNdouble like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Goodness, you're spending a lot of time and worry over this. Relax, it's 99.9% you'll fly as planned, on the right aircraft in the right cabin.

Best bet is to be at the airport sharpish. And on the very slim chance your overthinking becomes a reality, as noted above, there's plenty of other ways of getting there in comfort.

If it would really put your mind at risk (which it did mine on one of the first flights we were allowed back into US when I went into T5 day before with test result and paperwork to get checked in and boarding passes) then maybe if you can get there today based on your profile location "London", why not pop in and get your seats and boarding passes?
jamiel, bafan, argonath and 6 others like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I have long since stopped attempting to checkin online for BA flights. Never worked for me. Not been downgraded so far, so that means nothing. And you phoned BA on their third day of an IT meltdown and they dismissed you because they were in chaos, rather than any other reason.

So don't worry.
ijgordon, argonath and RNdouble like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
Yep - chill out, downgrade unlikely. If it happens ask to be re-routed....might even get the TPs ;-)
Old May 26, 2023, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Agree with others that there’s some overthinking and unnecessary fretting going on. You’re trying to preempt something that hasn’t happened yet - and most likely won’t. You have a CW reservation on that service and need to proceed on that basis.

The most likely outcome is you fly in the cabin booked. There are two unoccupied (though blocked) seats in the cabin you booked. There’s also a few free F seats for BA to play with which they may use to FLUB people in to. There’s a smaller chance you may even get FLUBed yourself - it’s supposed to be status driven but plenty reports of where that isn’t always strictly followed.

In the very small chance they do offer you a downgrade, it’s wise to be armed with your rights and options. Either accept the downgrade and pursue the relevant refund/compensation, or seek rebooking on another carrier in J.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Have your preffered 'plan B' in your head ready, just incase.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by k_cheng
Can't check in online for tomorrow's BA7 LHR-HND in Club World. Booked using companion voucher, and both pax are Blue members. Therefore extremely anxious.

Completely sold-out flight. Just called BA, and got a completely useless agent. They did not even take my booking reference. I questioned whether it was oversold and how likely I'll be downgraded. I was only told the flight is completely full and there were 8 blocked seats (accurate at the time of calling compared with expertflyer, and now there are only 7 left), and said only airport staff can assign them. I feel this is completely not true, as from my past experience at the check-in counters at LHR, the staff could only see what I can see as unblocked from my end, and could not assign me a blocked seat. The most recent time they even showed me their screen, and the seat map was exactly the same as what I saw from my end. Therefore, I feel like if these seats are still blocked tomorrow morning, I won't get a CW seat at the check-in counter anyway, and will only find out whether I can get one at the gate when the back office has done their algorithm of upgrade/downgrade.

Is the only thing I can do now just to go to the airport tomorrow morning and see whether we're actually downgraded, then negotiate with them for a solution there? I am completely aware I do not have any legal grounds to deny the downgrade and refuse to travel. I know I could get reimbursement (after escalating to CEDR due to the companion voucher zero-value nonsense), if we were downgraded and actually travelled on this flight. But I I'd rather be rebooked with a partner airline with a connection which leaves later today so I can still arrive in Tokyo on time for my planned holiday, as I do not want to fly in WT+ or WT on this long flight.

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y1 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
Tip is to open a beer and enjoy the sunshine. Otherwise, you'll be fine.
orbitmic, markle, KARFA and 2 others like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Goodness, you're spending a lot of time and worry over this. Relax, it's 99.9% you'll fly as planned, on the right aircraft in the right cabin....
Indeed. And I am reminded of a phrase I first heard in Hong Kong (prior to certain event there in 1997): "It's just a typhoon in a teacup...."
Old May 26, 2023, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There will be no customers offloaded and all will be offered the service they paid for, the First cabin will be used as FLUB.
Old May 26, 2023, 2:05 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
There will be no customers offloaded and all will be offered the service they paid for, the First cabin will be used as FLUB.
k_cheng - you have had this from corporate-wage-slave and the cream of FT (well possibly yogurt in this specific instance) - they know what they are talking about. Stop fretting but do come back and let us know what happens - have a wonderful trip
Old May 26, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
The downside of a resource such as EF. Too much info. Unnecessary worry.
bafan and mikeyfly like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.