Wiki Posts
Search

BA2033 LGW-DOH - blocked seats

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2023, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club (GGL, GFL)
BA2033 LGW-DOH - blocked seats

I just boarded today’s flight to Doha. I had 4JK selected on the app and BPs issued.

At check in these had been changed to 3JK and when I enquired why was given the explanation that “4K should not have been released, it is blocked for crew rest on this flight”.

Does anyone know if this is true? Previously when I’ve experienced this issue the seats in question have never been available for passenger selection.

The seats are currently occupied by a lady and her daughter with the lady’s husband across the aisle in 4G.

The flight is quite lightly loaded (12 empty seats out of 32) so just seems a bit weird that there was a need to move us?
Old May 24, 2023, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That’s correct, 4K is a flight crew rest seat.
Old May 24, 2023, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Got it, thanks. Just a blip on the app I guess, which had allowed me to select it when I shouldn’t have been able to.
Old May 24, 2023, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
It’s not a blip with the app. It should have been blocked in advance and obviously wasn’t.
Old May 24, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Although in saying that, there shouldn’t be a need to have a flight crew rest seat on a sector of that length. Perhaps there were 3 pilots as it the sector could have been a training trip.
Old May 24, 2023, 8:19 am
Original Poster

To be clear, no member of crew will be resting in these seats on this flight! But clearly the staff members / friends and family who are using them are more important than the fare paying passengers. First world problem…
Old May 24, 2023, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If BA had blocked the seats off in advance like they should have you would have been none the wiser, however the flight crew rest seats are theirs to do what they wish with including giving them to staff, I can understand how this would look bad to you.
Old May 24, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: GGLfL
Is the 4K crew rest seat a thing on all LGW 777s, or is it only for flights over a certain flight time or distance, or on certain aircraft?

In the case of the Caribbean flights, should 4K be blocked on LGW-ANU flights always (the flight time requires a crew rest seat in the cabin), sometimes (depends on the aircraft) or never (this route doesn't require it)?
Old May 24, 2023, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends on the flight time and if there is an overhead rest facility, DOH wouldn’t normally need a rest seat but I’m guessing there was a third pilot, maybe a training or check flight?
Old May 24, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, JetBlue Mosaic
Is this a common problem of them releasing the crew rest seat erroneously? I'm booked in 4K to Kingston for the end of August and don't want to end up in a middle of middle seat. Should I switch to 4A or is it fine across the pond to the Caribbean...
Old May 24, 2023, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would 100% swap just in case.
PETER01 likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by BA777JFKLGW
Is this a common problem of them releasing the crew rest seat erroneously? I'm booked in 4K to Kingston for the end of August and don't want to end up in a middle of middle seat. Should I switch to 4A or is it fine across the pond to the Caribbean...
Likewise, we have 4J 4K on LGW-ANA-AUA in September, as 4A was taken.
Old May 24, 2023, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It depends on the flight time and if there is an overhead rest facility, DOH wouldn’t normally need a rest seat but I’m guessing there was a third pilot, maybe a training or check flight?
Do you know if ANU would normally need a rest seat?
Old May 24, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m not 100% sure but on a non overhead rest fitted aircraft I think 4K is used on the ANU flights?
Sigwx likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
76% of flights to ANU in the past year have been on the non-overhead crew rest fitted aircraft. I have seen the seat used by flight crew on a similar length flight to UVF and also witnessed a silver passenger being turfed out of his seat and separated from his wife for this very reason.
Therefore, as per CIHY's advice, I'd suggest proactively moving yourself, before BA do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.