Wiki Posts
Search

Has my Golden empty seat been taken?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2023, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Has my Golden empty seat been taken?

On the return of our next reward booking shortly, to AMS this time, booked seats A and C in an exit row

Back of the plane 'appears' empty from BA Seat Map (yes, I appreciate not all pax have status to pre assign seats).. but just popped onto MMB to make sure the curtain hadn't moved and noted the X between us. Does that mean it has been booked by someone?

BA0435, 14:55 Sat 10 Jun 2023
Old May 17, 2023, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Give us the flight no and date and we can check. But I suspect another gold has, quite rightly, taken the last exit seat. Should’ve sat together

Just seen your flight details below! Here you go
orbitmic, msp3 and Delboy65 like this.
Old May 17, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Row 11 should unblock at T-72 so you should be able to grab that if needs be.
Delboy65 likes this.
Old May 17, 2023, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
For some reason 12EF are blocked, and I can’t select them either as a gold. Odd
Delboy65 likes this.
Old May 17, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
When I was Gold travelling with a non-status partner, I found it was best to put me in B/E and them in A/F. That way, if the seat block on the aisle seat held we could spread out. Otherwise, no harm done.
Gengy, fets_be and Delboy65 like this.
Old May 17, 2023, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

It is only a short flight after all

Now to decide if stick to allocated seats or one of us swap to middle seat ...?
Old May 17, 2023, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bd95
When I was Gold travelling with a non-status partner, I found it was best to put me in B/E and them in A/F. That way, if the seat block on the aisle seat held we could spread out. Otherwise, no harm done.
partner is Silver, almost on Gold (1480 pts)
Old May 17, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
For some reason 12EF are blocked, and I can’t select them either as a gold. Odd
At a guess the curtain’s moved back recently so row 12 is now in the front three rows of Y and thus blocked until T-72, along with 10 & 11. Existing seat reservations remain intact though (unless the curtain moves back again!).
Old May 17, 2023, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
At a guess the curtain’s moved back recently so row 12 is now in the front three rows of Y and thus blocked until T-72, along with 10 & 11. Existing seat reservations remain intact though (unless the curtain moves back again!).
Old May 17, 2023, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The curtain could move back. But equally row 12 could become CE and therefore anyone from ET in those seats will be placed elsewhere.

For exit row seats you cannot rely on Theoretical Seating these days to keep a middle seat empty, certainly not from AMS. TS doesn't kick in until 3 days to departure anyway.
nancypants, becks1, SxMan and 1 others like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 17, 2023 at 2:52 pm
Old May 17, 2023, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Sorry to break the news to you, but errr.... you don't have an "golden empty seat". The BA system means that only BAEC G and above/OWE can book seats in that row, not that BA will block a seat when a gold sits in A and a silver in C or the other way round.

By and large, the rule of thumb on "3 seats for 2" and "preferred seats" (exit row, front rows) is choose either/or: if you want an empty middle seat, you are best off booking window and aisle towards the rear of the cabin as, unless the plane is close to full, people able to select middle seats in rows with Gold members will be unlikely to do so towards the back. By contrast, if you want an emergency exit or front row, assume that all seats in the row will probably be taken and choose your seats accordingly as many people will prefer a middle seat who can choose in an exit row to a window or aisle at the back of the plane, especially now that NEO planes typically have bad seats behind the exit row.
Old May 17, 2023, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Delboy65
It is only a short flight after all

Now to decide if stick to allocated seats or one of us swap to middle seat ...?
Why make two suffer the indignity of rubbing against a stranger? Offer the middle flyer the choice of aisle or window and let the chips fall where they may.
simonsmith, OnslowSW7 and SxMan like this.
Old May 17, 2023, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by SkyLich
Why make two suffer the indignity of rubbing against a stranger? Offer the middle flyer the choice of aisle or window and let the chips fall where they may.
But then middle flyer may get the golden welcome the OP was entitled to..... that just doesn't bare thinking about
Old May 17, 2023, 5:38 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
But then middle flyer may get the golden welcome the OP was entitled to..... that just doesn't bare thinking about
And if the cargo is unloaded before the exit row!!!

edit for the avoidance of doubt:

Last edited by nancypants; May 18, 2023 at 5:30 am
Old May 17, 2023, 10:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
alternative title "my selfish behaviour has backfired" ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.