Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 update mid May 2023 - Transit / TTS update

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 update mid May 2023 - Transit / TTS update

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2023, 12:12 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Confus
Most crew use the escalators even they’re deliberately a bit obscure for passengers, which puts extra pressure on the lifts.

Anyone else tempted to borrow one of the grey security trays and use it as a sledge? 😄
Crew & wheelchairs are brought forward, so they dont need to queue, but crew are quite excellent at being squeezed into a lift and using all the available space!

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
They are not keeping enough space for giving way to passengers getting off the lift...
Passengers who come up, are shielded by the HAL staff and lead to the left or right of the Tensa barriered area so they dont have to push past people waiting for the lifts.

M
PTahCha and KARFA like this.
Old May 20, 2023, 12:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Any suggestion as to when the escalators may be fixed and running again?
Everything seems to be "waiting for parts" in life at the moment.
RNdouble likes this.
Old May 20, 2023, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
They appear to have had a few escalator problems in the recent past.

Only a few months ago the one leading up to the south lounges was out for a week or so and there were queues for the lifts. Around the same time, the one from the domestic connection up to departures was out as well. The lift there is not that big as I recall.

I wonder if there is some sort of systemic problem………..
Old May 21, 2023, 4:04 am

Still up the spout Sunday 21st mid-morning. Queues not that bad, but probably a factor of gate announcement timing rather than anything else as main terminal packed.

CatchThePigeon and KARFA like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: BA silver
Passing through today at 130, the right hand lift didn’t appear to be in use, we got sent to a service elevator by the customs office that took us straight to the walkway level with no obvious way back up to the transit (which is fine by me, but they did have a buggy waiting in case anyone needed a lift)

Last edited by paul71; May 22, 2023 at 7:09 am
Old May 23, 2023, 10:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As we head to another Bank Holiday weekend, the situation remains that the 2 escalators are out of action.

There remains a 3 phase approach to congestion - from about 16:30 hrs there are relatively few flights from T5B, with the last JFK / BOS at 20:00 hrs. The three lifts can cope with this workload, and probably first thing in the morning too.

If queues back up to the main walkway area then the next plan is to use the lifts by HMRC as a backup, this is relatively nearby, HAL staff can point to point passengers to a staff member controlling the HMRC queue, and works best of those happy to walk to T5B.

There after and during the main T5B and T5C periiods the buses continue to run from gate 10E, which particularly for T5C may be a reasonably good alternative. They have a sign up for this.

However I can see the escalator with the planned engineering work is now fully refitted and rolling, for the first time, and I saw a lot of HAL Engineering people there today with forms and folders being filled in, so maybe that one is close to being back into service. I'd guess HAL is pretty keen to get that to happen on or before Friday, but that's just a hunch on my side.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 23, 2023 at 10:39 am
Old May 23, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
There was a post on one of the FB forums over the weekend saying one of the escalators was planned to be back in operation from May 24th (Wednesday), so hopefully that happens!

Pilot37
aristoph, KARFA and RNdouble like this.
Old May 23, 2023, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichieMc
This has all been a revelation to me. I like to think I know T5 like the back of my hand. But I have to admit I’ve never once taken the escalator down to the transit or the tunnel. Always assumed the lift was quicker. And I’ve never once not gotten into the first available lift. So I can only guess that under normal circumstances, most people are taking the escalators. Is this faster than the lift to the transit? No way is it faster to -4 than via lift.
Well, as should be quite apparent now, the lift is faster BECAUSE a lot of passenger take the escalator. If everyone took the lift, then the escalators would be faster.

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
They are not keeping enough space for giving way to passengers getting off the lift...
Who would be getting off this lift on the main departures level? Only a departing passenger who went for a stroll down to the transit train/corridor or someone who was lost (and with the lines, nobody is voluntarily going down there!). And I guess maybe some employees (e.g., wheelchair pushers?) Arriving passengers get funneled through FCC which is separate I believe.
Old May 23, 2023, 3:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Who would be getting off this lift on the main departures level?
There won't be many passengers but they would include any Silver cardholders who simply prefer the T5B lounge but have a T5A departure. And the gate wouldn't be known until later on anyway.
86BA7 likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 5:42 am

Programs: MUCCI
T5A lifts to the shuttle to T5B and C

This all seems to have gone quiet today? Are the escalators now working which has massively alleviated the situation (just that I am at T5 tomorrow travelling).
FD.
Old May 24, 2023, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Escalators still out of action as of time of this post
becks1 likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Out of action this morning on the woeful LHR-MAN experience (which wasn't all BA's fault - mainly MAN's)!
Old May 24, 2023, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There won't be many passengers but they would include any Silver cardholders who simply prefer the T5B lounge but have a T5A departure. And the gate wouldn't be known until later on anyway.
And some Gold cardholders who prefer the same!
Old May 25, 2023, 3:52 am

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
Update 25th 10.30. Right hand escalator now in service but only for pax without cabin bags as apparently it comes to a standstill if too much weight! Queues for lifts not bad (3-4 mins wait). Bummer as we left the CCR early but it took less than 10 min from CCR to T5B lounge.
Old May 25, 2023, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by r22r44bell47
Update 25th 10.30. Right hand escalator now in service but only for pax without cabin bags as apparently it comes to a standstill if too much weight! Queues for lifts not bad (3-4 mins wait). Bummer as we left the CCR early but it took less than 10 min from CCR to T5B lounge.
A good Curate's Egg update that! Thanks for the update, it's a busy day today and tomorrow at T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.