Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 update mid May 2023 - Transit / TTS update

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 update mid May 2023 - Transit / TTS update

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2023, 5:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don’t know if this looks worse than I was expecting. If the buses are also running from A10 as an alternative, they don’t seem to be well advertised.

jacksprat and becks1 like this.
Old May 19, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Huh, my planned stroll through the tunnels to stretch my legs and find a quiet spot for a call looks like being thwarted…
Old May 19, 2023, 5:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
I don’t know if this looks worse than I was expecting. If the buses are also running from A10 as an alternative, they don’t seem to be well advertised.
I would say that's on the low side compared to what I saw on Monday (fewer passengers but no bus alternative) and Wednesday - at least when the big slug of USA and India departures are going on in T5B. That looks like a 5 minutes (?) delay in getting to T5B or T5C.

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Huh, my planned stroll through the tunnels to stretch my legs and find a quiet spot for a call looks like being thwarted…
You can still use the passageway, but perhaps a little anti-social if there are queues since the lift then spends a bit of extra time going down to the lower level and back just for one or two passengers. At the moment the lifts are working flat out.
KARFA likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
One thing to highlight re: escalators being used as fixed stairways, it depends on the fault. Some faults mean it isn't safe to use an escalator even as a fixed stairway (maybe a problem with the breaks etc) - also can't be used if being worked on at the time.
Genius1 likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
They’re also using one of the service lifts this afternoon to relieve the pressure, taking you direct to the passageways.
Old May 19, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC
This has all been a revelation to me. I like to think I know T5 like the back of my hand. But I have to admit I’ve never once taken the escalator down to the transit or the tunnel. Always assumed the lift was quicker. And I’ve never once not gotten into the first available lift. So I can only guess that under normal circumstances, most people are taking the escalators. Is this faster than the lift to the transit? No way is it faster to -4 than via lift.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 7:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
the two escalators only go to -2. the lifts you can go to -2 and -4. the lifts are generally quicker - unless you try and bomb down the left hand side of the escalator like you are on the tube, but that normally doesn't work at T5 as fewer people are aware of the escalator etiquette and apparently you can't shoulder barge them out of the way here!

in terms of the number split i suspect most head for the escalators normally as they look more inviting and are closer to the main walkway.

Last edited by KARFA; May 19, 2023 at 8:09 am
Old May 19, 2023, 7:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A lot of people dislike using lifts, and indeed when I was there on Monday there was someone who was struggling with this (and yes, they are about to zoom 6 miles into the skies in a metal tube....). But yes, because you can't normally walk down the escalators then it's slower. HAL do try to encourage lift use anyway so all the signage focuses on the lifts and KARFA's photo shows that like with HEX they try to de-emphasize the escalator option. But there again a lot of people take the escalators from HEX, because they can't see how high up is the departure level.
Old May 19, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
the two escalators only go to -2. the lifts you can go to -2 and -4. the lifts are generally quicker - unless you try and bomb down the left hand side of the escalator like you are on the tube, but that normally doesn't work at T5 as fewer people are aware of the escalator etiquette and apparently you can't shoulder barge them out of the way here!
I find that people learn escalator etiquette pretty quickly with a loud 'excuse me' as I bear down on them at great speed. I view escalators the same way as moving walk ways - they are there to speed up a walk, not replace it.

And as for the H&S arguments, I reckon I have fallen up escalators many more times than I have fallen down them. No idea why.
Geordie405, jacksprat and KARFA like this.
Old May 19, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC

in terms of the number split i suspect most head for the escalators normally as they look more inviting and are closer to the main walkway.
Yeah. I start to twitch nervously at the sight of people standing on the left coming down from lounge or security to main departures level.
Old May 19, 2023, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc
Yeah. I start to twitch nervously at the sight of people standing on the left coming down from lounge or security to main departures level.
Most people (unless it's just a handful that wait for me to arrive) stand on the right, and put their large carry-ons on the left when going on the escalators to/from Galleries South.
Old May 19, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold

That looks better and more organised than last Saturday around midday, when the queue stretched down to the escalator to the south lounges and round towards the highest numbered A gates!

My original plan had been to head directly to the B lounge. Headed to GC South instead which was at capacity so I and several others ended up being redirected to GF which was a nice touch and quite unexpected.
Old May 19, 2023, 10:33 am

Do we have any information on when the escalators will be back in action? Flying out of T5 to Canada a week today....
olouie and RNdouble like this.
Old May 19, 2023, 3:58 pm

Most crew use the escalators even they’re deliberately a bit obscure for passengers, which puts extra pressure on the lifts.

Anyone else tempted to borrow one of the grey security trays and use it as a sledge? 😄
Old May 19, 2023, 4:56 pm

They are not keeping enough space for giving way to passengers getting off the lift...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.