Fast Track security at George Best BHD?

Old May 15, 2023, 9:02 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: GLA
Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Posts: 344
Fast Track security at George Best BHD?

As per title, is there Fast Track at BHD for those with eligible status?
Thrifty Scotsman is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 9:07 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 262
Yes there is. It doesn't have a dedicated scanner and security lane, but feeds into the front of the main queue.

The BHD lounge is currently being refurbished and is embarrassingly bad. After ten minutes in there, you might feel that you'd have been better off spending longer in a security queue!
vindaloo is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 9:41 am
  #3  
formerly JackDann
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,608
Originally Posted by vindaloo
Yes there is. It doesn't have a dedicated scanner and security lane, but feeds into the front of the main queue.

The BHD lounge is currently being refurbished and is embarrassingly bad. After ten minutes in there, you might feel that you'd have been better off spending longer in a security queue!
Yeah it's really bad - I had a flight cancelled recently and decided to bail after spending an hour in there.
Thrifty Scotsman likes this.
JD1905 is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 1:06 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 691
Originally Posted by JD1905
Yeah it's really bad - I had a flight cancelled recently and decided to bail after spending an hour in there.
Indeed - as soon as I saw 2L bottles of Coca Cola available to self pour my heart sunk! Dont bother getting to the airport early to use the lounge
DXB2745 is online now  
Old May 15, 2023, 2:09 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Posts: 15,636
See also:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...pletely-2.html
And from the lounge website:
The Aspire Lounge in Belfast City Airport is currently undergoing a period of refurbishment to bring a brand new Aspire Lounge to Belfast in Summer 2023. This means that things are a little different whilst our teams make the changes. The lounge is still a great place to relax before your flight with complimentary snacks, food and soft drinks, and we will do all that we can to make sure your stay is pleasant one....
We are currently unable to offer alcoholic drinks at the Aspire Lounge Belfast City Airport for operational reasons and we thank you for your patience and understanding whilst we work hard to resolve this. The lounge is still open and the perfect place to relax before your flight with complimentary soft drinks, hot food, treats and snacks, free WiFi, comfortable seating and fantastic views of the airfield and beyond.
https://www.executivelounges.com/air...-aspire-lounge
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 2:36 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Posts: 19,676
It is not "the perfect place to relax" with incessant construction noise from the adjacent space plus no alcohol. Better to stay out in the departures hall.
BearX220 is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 3:17 pm
  #7  
formerly JackDann
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,608
Originally Posted by BearX220
It is not "the perfect place to relax" with incessant construction noise from the adjacent space plus no alcohol. Better to stay out in the departures hall.
Agreed. Whilst BHD still obviously is far better than the alternative, 3 Drop Off charges for taxis, no decent lounge offering, only 1/2 Restaurants usually being available along with the fact the place is now very busy, makes me feel its certainly not as good as it was!

Of course I appreciate the lounge is being refurbished which cant be helped, but I just feel like standards have slipped elsewhere.
JD1905 is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 3:17 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hampshire, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by DXB2745
Indeed - as soon as I saw 2L bottles of Coca Cola available to self pour my heart sunk! Dont bother getting to the airport early to use the lounge
Interestingly, the fridge closest to the entrance had cans on my last visit. The 2l bottles were still present further down with the rest of the drinks!

I assume the AC/HVAC isn't working. Last Monday (8th) I was in there before the last Heathrow flight around 18:30. It was unbearably warm. In fact 2 people left the lounge not long after I'd arrived, telling the staff they couldn't stay any longer due to the heat.

Plus, the closest male bathroom was out of action, so it was a long trek to the others behind the 'restaurant' past the bar.
GuyWMD is offline  
Old May 15, 2023, 3:19 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hampshire, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by JD1905
Agreed. Whilst BHD still obviously is far better than the alternative, 3 Drop Off charges for taxis, no decent lounge offering, only 1/2 Restaurants usually being available along with the fact the place is now very busy, makes me feel its certainly not as good as it was!

Of course I appreciate the lounge is being refurbished which cant be helped, but I just feel like standards have slipped elsewhere.
Also, the long stay drop off hasn't been thought through at all! No where for drivers to actually park, you'd think marking up a handful of bays for drop off purposes would be an idea. Zero signage from the terminal coming out as a passenger.
GuyWMD is offline  
Old May 16, 2023, 5:44 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by GuyWMD
Also, the long stay drop off hasn't been thought through at all! No where for drivers to actually park, you'd think marking up a handful of bays for drop off purposes would be an idea. Zero signage from the terminal coming out as a passenger.
I never have any difficulty with this. You drive in, do a hard U-turn to the right, and there's a spot to the left of the exit barriers. Once you've dropped off / picked up, you can drive straight out. There's only one space admittedly, so if it's occupied then you have to hover and get in everyone's way or go and find a proper parking spot, but in my experience not many people have cottoned on to the fact that you can save yourself 3 if you don't mind walking for a few minutes.
vindaloo is offline  
Old May 16, 2023, 9:28 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hampshire, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by vindaloo
There's only one space admittedly, so if it's occupied then you have to hover and get in everyone's way or go and find a proper parking spot, but in my experience not many people have cottoned on to the fact that you can save yourself 3 if you don't mind walking for a few minutes.
Maybe I've been coming & going at different times, but it's been a complete car crash (it's going to happen if they're not careful).

One, one... space that's not even officially marked as a drop off bay, there's been ZERO effort behind this. Asides from the obvious generation by pulling it from the drop off lanes.
GuyWMD is offline  
Old May 16, 2023, 12:20 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 262
I usually arrive on the last BA flight of the day and it's very quiet. My wife swings by the Long Stay and stops for a few seconds in the single spot by the barriers while I jump in. Clearly it would be chaos if it were busier and it sounds from what you say as though it often is at other times.

Also completely agree with you about the signage from the terminal. Even if you know that you're being picked up from the Long Stay, there are various signs to different zones and no indication of where the official pick-up / drop-off point is. Which of course is probably because there isn't an official pick-up / drop-off point because, as you say, zero thought or effort has been put into it.

And while we're at it, can I have a rant about the boarding process for flights from BHD to LCY? Honestly, I've been on Ryanair flights where this has been better organised. Even if you abandon what's left of your alcohol-free Carlsberg and leave the lounge the second they announce that the flight is about to board, by the time you get to the gate there are 100 people in front of you and there isn't even a pretence at boarding by group number. Has it always been like this? Perhaps I've just never noticed because until recently I always flew to LHR.

Last edited by vindaloo; May 16, 2023 at 12:56 pm
vindaloo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.