Wiki Posts
Search

EU 261 for more complex tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2023, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
EU 261 for more complex tickets

I've looked in the EU261 thread, but cannot find an answer to my query.

I'm looking to visit the Caribbean in December to watch England play cricket. The cheapest J fare I can find is routed LHR - MIA - BGI, returning GND - MIA - LHR. The TATL legs are on BA metal and the shorter hops from MIA to BGI and back from GND are with AA. The ticket would be issued by AA with all flights having an AA number, and would be about Ł2k cheaper than a direct BA flight.

Where would I stand if any of the 4 flights were delayed, resulting in > 4hr delay on arrival at either BGI outbound, or LHR on the return. If a delay to either flight into MIA resulted in me being stranded there, who is responsible for duty of care, the airline that caused the delay or the airline that is providing the onward flight.

As an additional point, how long should I allow for the connections in MIA?
Old May 10, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Maybe worry about it if and when something happens? Too many variables.
SxMan, golfmad, argonath and 2 others like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Lots of variables on the delay question.

Duty of care would be on the airline who made you late, not the next carrier. Personally in the event of a missed connection I would go seek help from the carrier who's flight I missed as things often get sorted better in person, failing that i'd call the ticketting airline.

I'd allow 3 hours at Miami on the inbound from LHR but again this is a personal choice, others will differ.
mikeyfly likes this.
Suspended

Introducing connections introduces risk. Only you can decide if this risk is something you want to take.

There look to be 2 flights per day from MIA > BGI, but one of these is mid-morning and not one you'll be able to connect to. If you miss the connection you'll be looking at a flight the next day.

I've connected at MIA going to BOG with a 2h30 window and checked luggage. On one memorable occasion my 2h30 connection turned into a 30min connection. I basically ran through the airport - I was given a fluorescent orange ticket wallet and pushed to the front of every single queue I encountered. I made the flight which they held a little for me. Luggage was delivered the following day.

I accept 2k is a substantial saving, and one I'd be willing to make myself, but if you're at all risk averse, perhaps look at flying in and getting the mid-morning flight the next day with an overnight in Miami ? That would seem to me to reduce any risk to almost none.

Outbound fine as its ex-EU

I believe any issue back you'd be without EU protection unless it's the MIA-LHR that goes wrong. But AA will rebook you, just make sure you've got good travel insurance as if it is something like weather they won't give you a hotel etc
Old May 10, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
All on one ticket, or separate tickets? That makes a huge difference.
Old May 10, 2023, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Furby
All on one ticket, or separate tickets? That makes a huge difference.
All on one ticket
Old May 10, 2023, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If time rich I’d build a just under 24 hour stopover one or both ways in Miami, I enjoy Miami Beach and it shouldn’t add any cost, takes away any tight connection worries
Old May 10, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Wonder if you can force the return to be entirely on BA, including their fifth freedom flights between Caribbean points (and still get the lower fare you’re looking for)? That might solve the mixture of AA and BA flights on the return legs which would clarify who would be responsible for duty of care if any IRROPS. But not sure if it solves the problem of whether a delay to the fifth freedom leg, even as part of an overall itinerary to LHR/LGW, qualifies for UK261 compensation in case of delay or cancellation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.