Community
Wiki Posts
Search

56 in Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2023, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

56 in Club Europe

Today on my flight LHR to LIS there were 56 people in Club Europe.
56 people, 1 bathroom, 2 cabin crew, 1 small galley. I really feel for the crew tbh...

This hasn't been a one off- in the last month or so on the same route I've had 32+ but 56 people is ridiculous.

Is this now the new normal?
SxMan likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
As long as people keep buying the product I can’t see why it will stop.
RJD1983, JD1905 and speedbuslhr like this.
Old May 5, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Next Saturday's flight to Sofia is 14 rows of CE I think.
Old May 5, 2023, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
56 seats is the largest Club Europe cabin you will find, on the A321 fleet.

There are a maximum of 50 Club Europe seats on the second hand A320 fleet based at LGW, 48 seats on all other A320s, 40 seats on the majority of the A319 fleet, 32 seats on the ex-BD A319 fleet, and 38 seats on the E190 fleet.
Old May 5, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
Group 1 boarding must have been fun...

It seemed to me that CE became particularly popular later in 2021 and throughout 2022, when long-haul travel hadn't really taken off again and people had a bit of spare money to spend on a nicer SH experience. And despite the bad press CE sometimes gets, overall it's a pleasant experience when compared to SH Y. So people stuck with it when the price difference wasn't too bad. Now the long-haul traffic is back, so connections into CW/F are also helping to fill the cabins.
Old May 5, 2023, 2:43 pm

What are the trigger numbers in CE for additional CC? I was on a Sunday evening 320 service to INV last week with 6 rows. Excellent service from 2 CC. So good in fact that as it was only my colleague and I on the champagne they left the bottle on the middle table for us because “we only chuck down the sink anyway”.

The 50min taxiway hold after an on time push due to weather cells around LHR was a bit of a drag.
Old May 5, 2023, 3:14 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by averageflyerLHR
What are the trigger numbers in CE for additional CC? I was on a Sunday evening 320 service to INV last week with 6 rows. Excellent service from 2 CC. So good in fact that as it was only my colleague and I on the champagne they left the bottle on the middle table for us because “we only chuck down the sink anyway”.

The 50min taxiway hold after an on time push due to weather cells around LHR was a bit of a drag.
Twenty. Over that there is an extra crew member.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Twenty. Over that there is an extra crew member.
PUCCI GALORE thank you! I can’t imagine you “chucking it down the sink”. I’d rather hope it was more chucking in the handbag. We did feel a bit Patsy and Eddie sat with a full size bottle between us but what can you do…!
zoegksf and BA or bust like this.
Old May 5, 2023, 3:36 pm

At one point wasn’t it 15?

Presumably 40 or more is 3 crew?
Old May 5, 2023, 4:01 pm

We had 3 on a LGW/Marrakech service last week. I think a 10 rows on A321, although one of the rows only has C/D seats. Crew were super (if still finding their feet a little).

As long as you sit in the first few rows, I don’t think the size of the cabin makes too much of a difference as you get served fairly early on.
surryson likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by Voda_boy
As long as you sit in the first few rows, I don’t think the size of the cabin makes too much of a difference as you get served fairly early on.
Agreed & getting your glass topped off is easy as the crew are never more than a few steps away. I've been in some busy CE cabins recently & I'm sure I've been on my 3rd top up before some of those at the back of CE have even been reached!

I'm sure in the bad old days though they used to run larger numbers in CE. . For a while in the early 00's I was coming back from Istanbul most Friday afternoons. My memory may be playing tricks but I'm sure 3/4's of the plane used to be CE..
Old May 5, 2023, 11:45 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Next Saturday's flight to Sofia is 14 rows of CE I think.
I bet 2 cent that 30+ must be those farming TPs
Old May 6, 2023, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

767 could go back to row 26…and would routinely go to just that on routes like SVO and IST back in the day. Proper service too, albeit from 2 galleys.
Skipcool3, sammyg901 and rt23456p like this.
Old May 6, 2023, 2:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by averageflyerLHR
PUCCI GALORE thank you! I can’t imagine you “chucking it down the sink”. I’d rather hope it was more chucking in the handbag. We did feel a bit Patsy and Eddie sat with a full size bottle between us but what can you do…!
I’m afraid that wet waste has to be dumped, and as for popping it in my handbag assuming that I had a bottle cap; someone busybody would soon be posting on Facebook “Thieving c*w in CE stuck a Champagne Bottle in her handbag!” Can you imagine if that exploded off when going through the airport sounding like I had flatulence and pouring on the floor. I can hardly get away with “my waters have broken” these days.

What does amuse me is all these people who would persuade us how appalling and what a waste of money Club Europe is when 56 people are filling the place.
Old May 6, 2023, 2:20 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
767 could go back to row 26…and would routinely go to just that on routes like SVO and IST back in the day. Proper service too, albeit from 2 galleys.
Lie Flat configured 767s or economy seat ones? And how do they operate in terms of seatings in Club Europe? 1-2-1?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.