Wiki Posts
Search

Summer 2024 - BA Routes to SE Asia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Summer 2024 - BA Routes to SE Asia

I’m hoping to visit a friend who lives in Jakarta next summer (late July/ August), with my family so we would be using 2 2-4-1 vouchers.
Clearly I’m not expecting to get all the way to Jakarta on BA, but we might arrange to meet somewhere else in SE Asia, or we could finish the end of the journey on another booking.
Right now it looks like Singapore is the only option (I would assume I would need to book as soon as flights are released). Is there any prospect of BA restarting Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur for next summer?
When would the destinations for summer 2024 be set, or could they launch new routes at any time if Russian airspace opens again?
Any advice or route speculation welcome!
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I very much doubt Russian air space is going to be used, and BA have clearly decided that they can’t make money in SE Asia. Singapore or bust I think.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I very much doubt Russian air space is going to be used, and BA have clearly decided that they can’t make money in SE Asia. Singapore or bust I think.
I don't think it's a case of them being unable to make money, rather that they're able to make more money elsewhere.. (Eg more routes to small US cities)
Swanhunter, BA or bust and D1L like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:46 am
Original Poster

I was hoping that as BA gradually take delivery of more new aircraft that they might be willing to venture East again…
adrianlondon and HarbourGent like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 12:32 pm
Suspended

I think the chance of Russian Airspace opening any time in the foreseeable future is vanishingly small.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Don’t count on BKK coming back at all. KUL & SEL maybe one day but not any time soon.

I still don’t understand why BA haven’t tried Vietnam, both from a bucket & spade point of view and business. Surely a 3 weekly HAN or SGN using a 788 could work?
JTXC and mikeyfly like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I don't think the Russian (and Ukrainian) air space closure would significantly affect flights to SE Asia. It is more of a problem for flights to/from more northern destinations in Asia: Japan, Korea and China as these do require a significant detour from the most optimal flight path.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by wb1969
Don’t count on BKK coming back at all. KUL & SEL maybe one day but not any time soon.

I still don’t understand why BA haven’t tried Vietnam, both from a bucket & spade point of view and business. Surely a 3 weekly HAN or SGN using a 788 could work?
Probably not enough demand? Primarily a discounted leisure route?
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Just grab SIN at 355 and you’re almost there!

And if BA restarts BKK or KUL and you want to swap, there will be four J seats on every flight ready to be snapped up. But I prefer SIN for transit etc and wouldn’t swap myself
britbronco22 and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Just grab SIN at 355 and you’re almost there!

And if BA restarts BKK or KUL and you want to swap, there will be four J seats on every flight ready to be snapped up. But I prefer SIN for transit etc and wouldn’t swap myself
​​​​​​Is that a BA policy? For every single route?
Old Apr 29, 2023, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
​​​​​​Is that a BA policy? For every single route?
Yes, minimum 4 Club seats for every long haul flight are released at midnight 355 days out, but these are snapped up almost immediately for the popular routes.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
So in practice, what would you do if someone says: "Sure, who knows, maybe they will reopen BKK or KUL or even open CGK" ? Would you then not book and take the risk of having nothing?

I mean, it's not as though anyone could possible give you a guarantee that a route or other will be open - or indeed that it won't. Even when new routes are decided and confirmed - which typically happens about 6 months before the inaugural, sometimes less, the few people who actually know are not allowed to mention it, and by the time they feel comfortable enough to start being less careful, discuss it in such a way that crew or some well connected FTer hears in turn, you are only a few days before the official announcement.

So I guess that unless (and I don't think it's likely) BA announce that they are starting a new SE Asia route for October 2023 in coming weeks and you can then hope that the route will continue into the summer season, all you'll get is really speculation of little practical help. Just book whatever you want to book when you are ready to book and based on what is available there and then.
etiene likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
The above reads like 'if you like to go to SE Asia and use a companion voucher, you need to be online by midnight 0:01AM 355 days in advance'.

Did anybody actually succeed to get seats to SIN on a companion voucher (in any class)? I don't know BA's schedule by heart towards that direction of the world but I believe there's 1 actual flight to SIN (on a Triple) and the Sydney flight (where people will try to get seats to Australia).

I managed to get seats once to SIN in J - pre covid when there was the 380 flight to SIN (and maybe another one or two flights a day).

D
Old Apr 29, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by britbronco22
When would the destinations for summer 2024 be set, or could they launch new routes at any time if Russian airspace opens again?
Any advice or route speculation welcome!
Russian airspace closure doesn't affect UK-SEA routes much - the routing south via Turkey doesn't add much, if any, extra distance. In fact SQ used the Turkey routing instead of overflying Russia the majority of the time after MH17/before the full-blown invasion.

I'd like to see KUL back but it was a market they've entered very late, and with 787s, and during a boom in the market before Covid, so I suspect the yield hasn't been all that great. And with fellow *O partner MH on that route, I think it's not as likely as BKK coming back first.
etiene likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by lsquare
Probably not enough demand? Primarily a discounted leisure route?
Vietnam Airlines have just announced they’re increasing flights to London from 3 weekly to daily from October.
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by wb1969; Apr 29, 2023 at 2:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.