Wiki Posts
Search

BA 787-9 F converted to J?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(G), JAL, Kris, QF
BA 787-9 F converted to J?

Me and my partner are flying BA LHR->HND BA7 soon, and the aircraft looks like a 787-9. We're booked in business (I). The Expert Flyer seat map shows a curious configuration with 1-2-1 for rows 1&2, then the old BA Club 2-3-2 787 configuration. I also read that the 787-9's are going to be about the last of BA's long haul fleet to get the new club world seat upgrade. I also double checked that our flight isn't selling first class.

So this looks like BA have converted the old first class of their 787-9's into a business section, but it is completely blocked for online seat selection so far (I'm BA Gold). I spoke to a BA agent and they have put in a note to try and request rows 1&2 for us.

So questions:
1) Is this really the old first class hard product they make available as business on 787-9's? That would make it worth trying to get into.
2) What are the rules for whom and when they become available?
3) I tried setting up a seat alert for these on EF (free account), but it won't let me choose blocked seats to alert on -- despite ticking all the status/will pay/can reserve blocked checks. Can EF be used to alert on blocked seats becoming unblocked?

Thanks for any wisdom!
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:50 am

Welcome to the forum, @daberdeen.

It's not that the cabin has been converted, rather they are simply not selling First on this route, but will use the First cabin for Club World passengers if it's needed. If you do luck out with a seat in row 1 or 2, it'll indeed be the First seat, but with normal CW service. Commonly referred to here as FLUB class.

See this thread for more info ‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft
Geordie405, jmd, SxMan and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by daberdeen
So this looks like BA have converted the old first class of their 787-9's into a business section...
I think the confusion here is that you've seen 1-2-1 in the first two rows and assumed it's the Club Suites whereas in fact it's an 8 seat First cabin. Here's the layout:

https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-type-789
AJA_ and Grande Annee like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(G), JAL, Kris, QF
Ahh, makes sense Lddn1. TIL. Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Although rows 1&2 are indeed F seats, it’s a really poor product. Having flown LHR-LAX on the 789 last month it felt incredibly cramped (as opposed to exclusive) in 1K. And the cabin was very badly worn. And it was not possible from my seat to see the manual safety briefing, which I guess contravenes CAA rules…

And my partner’s seat (1A) wouldn’t recline, the IFE failed several times, for which BA gave us 150,000 Avios.

All in all, just another example is of how bad BA has become. Light years away from my JL F flights in January.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by BasilBush
Although rows 1&2 are indeed F seats, it’s a really poor product. Having flown LHR-LAX on the 789 last month it felt incredibly cramped (as opposed to exclusive) in 1K. And the cabin was very badly worn. And it was not possible from my seat to see the manual safety briefing, which I guess contravenes CAA rules…

And my partner’s seat (1A) wouldn’t recline, the IFE failed several times, for which BA gave us 150,000 Avios.

All in all, just another example is of how bad BA has become. Light years away from my JL F flights in January.
The only point on which I would like to comment is the reference to a cramped space. I have flown all of BA’s First cabins and don’t consider any of them to be cramped. Perhaps it’s my distant memory of flying transatlantic economy sectors earlier in my career? Now that’s cramped!
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Amb
And it was not possible from my seat to see the manual safety briefing, which I guess contravenes CAA rules…
I also noticed this when I was in 1K on a 789 recently. (I.e. the manual demonstration was given by one cabin crew member in front of 1A/1E, who could not be seen by 1K). I asked the SCCM afterwards whether it was a mistake or "by design". They said that it was "by design", only one crew member was allocated for the cabin, and that it was OK if I couldn't see the demonstration. However, they also said that, for 1K, a crew member should have asked afterwards if anything was unclear (which didn't happen).
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It is definitely not ok if you don't see the demonstration. SCCMs like that shouldn't be in the job if that's what they think.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
It is definitely not ok if you don't see the demonstration. SCCMs like that shouldn't be in the job if that's what they think.
Yes I agree, but I didn’t want to get the crew into trouble and also I could recite the demo by heart anyway.

It did happen to me once before, when the cabin crew on the upper deck of a 747 failed to hear the SCCM (or CSD in those far-off days) announce that there would be a manual demo. They didn’t bother even when it was clear they missed the PA message.

Last edited by BasilBush; Apr 28, 2023 at 12:05 pm
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
The only point on which I would like to comment is the reference to a cramped space. I have flown all of BA’s First cabins and don’t consider any of them to be cramped. Perhaps it’s my distant memory of flying transatlantic economy sectors earlier in my career? Now that’s cramped!
Fair point - it’s a first world problem. But there’s something about the design, and perhaps the narrowness of the 787. It certainly didn’t give the impression of space and luxury, and having flown in F on BA’s competitors there really is no comparison.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I was in 1K on a 787-9 yesterday. I could not see the manual demonstration but a member of cabin crew then came to see me and offer a personal demonstration.
flygirl68 and PETER01 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The 787 does feel narrow. That said I have enjoyed my time in F and not really noticed a material difference. I am not a big door fan, esp. as I have noticed an increase in people changing with the doors closed and not realising it is not as private as they may think :-O
camdentown likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold

I do not find any BA F seat cramped, I am 6ft tall and not fat.
I love the 789 F seat. Having no door does not bother me.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:45 pm

Cramped in what way?
It is literally the most spacious seat on British Airways.

If you are comparing it to other carriers, it is also worth including the price in your comparison.
The cheapest return F seat will cost you £9,000 on JAL whereas on BA it would be £4,500 for a comparable route with a similar distance.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Cramped in what way?
It is literally the most spacious seat on British Airways.

If you are comparing it to other carriers, it is also worth including the price in your comparison.
The cheapest return F seat will cost you £9,000 on JAL whereas on BA it would be £4,500 for a comparable route with a similar distance.
I’m not convinced about the ticket price argument. Looking at it the other way, you could argue that the reason why BA’s yield in F is lower than other carriers (if indeed it is) is partly down to the poor and unreliable F product. If BA goes down that route then F will just become a slightly superior J, along the lines of the way AA is going.

And yes, I agree that BA’s F seat in the 789 is bigger than in other aircraft. It’s all down to perception though. Certainly in 1A or 1K the perception of space is affected by the bulkhead ahead of the centre seats, as well as the foot traffic and noise from the galley. Also, this was the first time I’ve been in one of BA’s 8-seat F cabins, although I’ve been quite familiar with the 14-seat cabins in BA’s 380s, 777s and 744s. Maybe the fact that BA scrimp on space by canting the seats away from the aisle is a factor. Certainly the other 8-seat F cabins I’ve been in recently (AF, JL, NH) all have seats aligned to the cabin wall, increasing the feeling of space.

But yes, I realise it’s a first world problem. Just an observation, which was probably affected by the specific failings of this particular flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.