E Voucher extended to Sept 2024

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
E Voucher extended to Sept 2024

BA Website

We’ve extended the expiry date of all eVouchers

You can now book and travel by 30 September 2024. For more information on how to use your eVoucher, check our FAQs below.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 3:58 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
BA Website

We’ve extended the expiry date of all eVouchers

You can now book and travel by 30 September 2024. For more information on how to use your eVoucher, check our FAQs below.
hmmm... I assume normal T&Cs apply in that anyone who was 'forced' into making a booking because the Sept 2023 deadline was looming won't get a refund to book somewhere else next year (unless on a flexi-ticket)? A bit annoying as they only left it to around 4 months to announce the extension!
Old Apr 21, 2023, 4:01 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ukflyer88
hmmm... I assume normal T&Cs apply in that anyone who was 'forced' into making a booking because the Sept 2023 deadline was looming won't get a refund to book somewhere else next year (unless on a flexi-ticket)? A bit annoying as they only left it to around 4 months to announce the extension!
Quite. I kind of booked a BAH on the basis of using up the evouchers i had before they expired in September last week. Emailed to ask for the evouchers to be applied but instead they just said they're now refunding them to original payment method (and i don't know where to that is given bookings were 2-3 years ago on no doubt now cancelled cards).
Would rather keep the vouchers to use next year now given the extension, but apparently they cant stop the process now (even though they are still active) and cant tell me where the money is going when they do process the refund. Very helpful..!
Old Apr 21, 2023, 4:10 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by ukflyer88
BA can't win with you can they? They don't extend the vouchers; they're the enemy. They extend the vouchers; they're the enemy.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 5:05 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
BA can't win with you can they? They don't extend the vouchers; they're the enemy. They extend the vouchers; they're the enemy.
Sorry if my post offended you. It is what it is, I just think they could have maybe announced earlier than 4 months that they would be extending it. Their website and PR gave what I thought was quite a strict policy that Sept 2023 was the deadline. Given e-vouchers have to be used with BA I thought they may have been more flexible with the booking T&Cs, but since they can't seem to refund back to a voucher (as per the member above) I guess this is why.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:54 am

Programs: BA GGL
In many cases, people accepted vouchers because it was nigh-on impossible to obtain a cash refund, even though they were entitled to one. That was often attributable to BA's decision to make things difficult by removing the ability to request a refund online.

Having 'rescued' BA and with flight prices now considerably higher than pre-Covid, it is not unreasonable to expect BA to extend these vouchers to give people an opportunity to book at lower prices. But that decision should have been made with sufficient notice that people could make an informed decision over whether to use their voucher for a particular trip.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Every time I try to use mine I still get an error message and am told it expired in 1957

Glad that I get another 12 months of not being able to use it 😎
becks1 and flarmip like this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 7:18 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by flarmip
In many cases, people accepted vouchers because it was nigh-on impossible to obtain a cash refund, even though they were entitled to one. That was often attributable to BA's decision to make things difficult by removing the ability to request a refund online.

Having 'rescued' BA and with flight prices now considerably higher than pre-Covid, it is not unreasonable to expect BA to extend these vouchers to give people an opportunity to book at lower prices. But that decision should have been made with sufficient notice that people could make an informed decision over whether to use their voucher for a particular trip.
What do you deem sufficient notice to make an informed decision? Vouchers were issued from June 2020 and were due to expire five months from now. That's over three years. BA have done a good thing extending these vouchers and I'm pretty miffed at people in this forum - specifically you - essentially complaining they were unable to make a decision or have somehow been misled!

If you're really that bothered by this extension pretend to yourself the vouchers expire in September 2023 [i.e. this year] and give them to charity thereafter.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:33 am

What do you deem sufficient notice to make an informed decision? Vouchers were issued from June 2020 and were due to expire five months from now. That's over three years. BA have done a good thing extending these vouchers and I'm pretty miffed at people in this forum - specifically you - essentially complaining they were unable to make a decision or have somehow been misled!

If you're really that bothered by this extension pretend to yourself the vouchers expire in September 2023 [i.e. this year] and give them to charity thereafter.
You can be as miffed as you want, but I have no skin in this game - I don't hold a BA voucher and never did. But if BA were trying to drum up goodwill through this, they've done a pretty lousy job of it.

The misleading thing is pretending up until now that the vouchers would expire by Sep 23, and thus must be used up 'urgently', when they no doubt must have been considering this change for some time (particularly as investors had begun to speculate whether the Ł600m IAG is sitting on in unredeemed vouchers could be counted as a windfall).
Old Apr 21, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
BA were under no obligation to extend, but they did.
If your flight was cancelled you can obtain a refund
Only people who chose to cancel were given vouchers, again something BA didn't actually need to do
Old Apr 21, 2023, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Only people who chose to cancel were given vouchers, again something BA didn't actually need to do
If you accepted a voucher because BA deliberately made it near-impossible to obtain a refund, you will greatly struggle to exchange that for the refund you were entitled to.

BA's CoC 3e, as well as consumer and common law regarding frustrated contracts, would suggest that BA in many cases couldn't have just shrugged their shoulders.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flarmip
If you accepted a voucher because BA deliberately made it near-impossible to obtain a refund, you will greatly struggle to exchange that for the refund you were entitled to.

BA's CoC 3e, as well as consumer and common law regarding frustrated contracts, would suggest that BA in many cases couldn't have just shrugged their shoulders.
I had many flights cancelled due to covid, lots around march 2020 time. I obtained full refunds, in many cases after already taking a voucher.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Exactly this.

I received full refunds for cancelled flights, more than once, and where I chose to cancel I received a voucher. In actual fact, it was a really lovely time to be planning travel, because I could happily book away knowing my cash was safe as I could convert it into a voucher to use later at a whim. Which I did, many times, and I also then re-used them all.

I have zero sympathy for anyone complaining about the extension or complaining they couldn't spend the voucher with all the months and months available between when the last vouchers were issued and the actual expiry date.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
All the publicity on this welcome announcement refers to e-vouchers. I still have two manual ‘phone vouchers’ which can’t be converted into an e-voucher - I’m assuming that the extension applies to all vouchers issued in COVID including the manual ones with Avios etc? Has anyone any info to confirm this?
Old Apr 21, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Exactly this.

I received full refunds for cancelled flights, more than once, and where I chose to cancel I received a voucher. In actual fact, it was a really lovely time to be planning travel, because I could happily book away knowing my cash was safe as I could convert it into a voucher to use later at a whim. Which I did, many times, and I also then re-used them all.

I have zero sympathy for anyone complaining about the extension or complaining they couldn't spend the voucher with all the months and months available between when the last vouchers were issued and the actual expiry date.
100% with you. I don't want this to sound like it was a 'lovely pandemic' but the level of flexibility that BA afforded with bookings at least provided a ray of sunlight when we were desperate to get away somewhere, anywhere; and the rules were changing daily.

I for one am grateful that we were able - admittedly with a lot of persistence - to go abroad in both 2020 and 2021 and for all BAs other faults, they get credit from me for their overall handling of the situation.
FlightDetective likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.