Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dairy substitutes on BA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2023, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL, CCR & G4LIFE), VS (Gold4life), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Spire Elite), SPG (Plat)
Dairy substitutes on BA

Anyone else apart from me baffled as to why BA doesn’t provide any dairy milk alternative in any class on any flight even when I request a lactose free meal. 15 hrs in 1st class with no tea/coffee/cereal as nothing loaded even with my lactose free meals? Seems ridiculous and must be the only airline I see ignoring this request time and time again
D1L and Hazgreen1 like this.

Last edited by newbyuk; Apr 19, 2023 at 10:26 am Reason: Typos
Old Apr 19, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: COdbaUA MM, AA EXP, AF S, Bonbon Gold, Hilton G, All G, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis Presidential
Well, leaving aside the fact that tea and coffee are totally consumable without milk or fake milk...

I've seen little pots of creamer on most airlines. Are they serving you dry cereal as part of your lactose free meal? That doesn't really make sense
DiamondMile and orbitmic like this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 2:09 pm
D1L

In all fairness, there's no reason they can't switch one bottle of dairy milk in each cabin to a non dairy milk on longhaul. On shorthaul they can easily offer non dairy sticks. easyJet, Jet2, TUI and most other airlines now manage to offer an alternative and it wouldnt really come at a cost to BA considering the huge amount of dairy wastage they have daily.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I wholeheartedly agree.

LNER offer oat milk in First Class on trains now. It’s long life until opened and even then it’s good for nearly a week when chilled. The wastage would be minimal, perhaps even less than dairy. Not offering readily available alternatives, especially to milk, is just laziness IMO.

Nowadays I carry an empty 100ml bottle and liberate a small amount oat milk from the lounge if I’m flying early and feel I’m going to want a tea or coffee on board.
D1L likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: COdbaUA MM, AA EXP, AF S, Bonbon Gold, Hilton G, All G, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis Presidential
Originally Posted by D1L
In all fairness, there's no reason they can't switch one bottle of dairy milk in each cabin to a non dairy milk on longhaul. On shorthaul they can easily offer non dairy sticks. easyJet, Jet2, TUI and most other airlines now manage to offer an alternative and it wouldnt really come at a cost to BA considering the huge amount of dairy wastage they have daily.
How do you know BA have a large amount of wastage? What happens to those of us who might end up not getting milk when we want it?
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I take these on board, they are under the 100ml limit: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/267309503

(Arla lactose free individual portions, sold in a net of 5 x 20ml individual portions.)
N1120A likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Cityflyer offers soya milk - each aircraft has three or four jiggers loaded and available on request.

orbitmic, kt74, RJD1983 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:33 pm

Hi usually what food options do you get in first for low lactose? I need to put a request in but for club or possibly could be first
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:53 pm

If you order a SPML such as a VG or NL then a small soya milk jigger will be loaded on your tray in replacement of the dairy milk one. This is the only way to get a non dairy alternative aside from bringing on your own.
In fairness, carrying a bottle or two of oat/soya/almond/whatever milk would be minimal cost and an easy win, and it is one that’s been raised to the company. They just seem unwilling to provide this.
SW7London likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL, CCR & G4LIFE), VS (Gold4life), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Spire Elite), SPG (Plat)
Originally Posted by MFCC
If you order a SPML such as a VG or NL then a small soya milk jigger will be loaded on your tray in replacement of the dairy milk one. This is the only way to get a non dairy alternative aside from bringing on your own.
In fairness, carrying a bottle or two of oat/soya/almond/whatever milk would be minimal cost and an easy win, and it is one that’s been raised to the company. They just seem unwilling to provide this.
so I do just this and never get any milk alternative so bringing my own is the only way but for a 1st class flight it seems crazy when I request the lactose free meal….
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by MFCC
You underestimate the cost. There is not only the raw cost of the product, which is more than actual milk, but also the cost to cater it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.