Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club suite vs First class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2023, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Club suite vs First class

I have seen couple of comments since the roll-out of Club Suites that some people prefer these vs old or new First Class where there is no door.

I wonder if I am the only one who very much prefers First class still?
Whether it is Prime 2010 (oldest style) or Prime A380, or the newer Prime 787, I still very much love these cabins and seats.

I think the service is more attentive.
The seats feel more spacious, and the cubby hole is… well it is not a hole. Plenty of room for your feet.
The meals and the drinks are better.
I love the turndown service.
And the cabin (old or new) has a very elegant look.

Admittedly I have only flown a handful of time in First, but I have been lucky to try every single config so far (except Prime 2020).

Am I alone with this view?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 5:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Here's a few threads to refer to.

Business Class vs First

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2100685-club-suites-first.html

Last edited by PETER01; Apr 18, 2023 at 6:02 pm
Old Apr 18, 2023, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
I have seen couple of comments since the roll-out of Club Suites that some people prefer these vs old or new First Class where there is no door.

I wonder if I am the only one who very much prefers First class still?
Whether it is Prime 2010 (oldest style) or Prime A380, or the newer Prime 787, I still very much love these cabins and seats.

I think the service is more attentive.
The seats feel more spacious, and the cubby hole is… well it is not a hole. Plenty of room for your feet.
The meals and the drinks are better.
I love the turndown service.
And the cabin (old or new) has a very elegant look.

Admittedly I have only flown a handful of time in First, but I have been lucky to try every single config so far (except Prime 2020).

Am I alone with this view?
Will pick First over the club suite. Only flown club suite once, found I was cramped and couldnt sleep very well. Am 6ft 4. Have flown the 2020 suite to JFK and I personally think its very good. Last three trips have been on 787s 9 and 10 versions. Had a 2010 F to BOS and from SFO last year. Both cabins where in a poor state. But for me the overall F experience is better for me
Old Apr 18, 2023, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
I am with you on preferring First. It might not be seen as being leaps and bounds above club, but with a good crew, it is an excellent product and one which I will book over club any day, provided the cost difference is not ridiculous.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 12:27 am

Club Suites has definitely narrowed the gap but first is still a cut above. I flew the new suites a few weeks ago and it's much better than the old top and tail club but the bed could be longer. Or I could be a few inches shorter. I think if you're under about 5 foot 10 CS is a great business class seat. But first feels a good deal more comfortable and the service is a lot better.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 12:33 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
F
CW
CS

is the order for me. I much prefer old CW to CS

CS is nowhere near F in so many ways,

Aircraft wise

A380
A350

to sum up I would pick a 777 CW route over a A350 CS any day of the week.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I would categorize CS as a sort of 7/8ths F. The seats are very comparable, and the differentiator for F is the food (if you can get your choice, and it hasn't been incinerated), and the ineffable feeling of superiority when you wander back into club.
Magnus77, ttama and astra19e like this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 12:42 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
There is much more space in F. That alone is a material benefit. Add on top better F&B, more dedicated service and better/quieter lounges (marginal value).

While CS is a huge improvement and comfortable modern product, its not the same.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 12:47 am

I think you’re asking the wrong question.

The issue isn’t really whether F is better overall than CS.

It’s whether the differences are worth the higher
price, whatever that may be in a particular case.

Obviously if the price were the same, I’m fairly confident most people would choose F. But usually there’s a premium, and for many people that premium is not so worth paying when the choice is F vs CS, as opposed to F v CW.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I think you’re asking the wrong question.

The issue isn’t really whether F is better overall than CS.

It’s whether the differences are worth the higher
price, whatever that may be in a particular case.

Obviously if the price were the same, I’m fairly confident most people would choose F. But usually there’s a premium, and for many people that premium is not so worth paying when the choice is F vs CS, as opposed to F v CW.
This is true. With CS I can see myself flying F less often than I used to. CS is not perfect but it's decent especially for day time flights.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Personally, no way would I spend my own $$$ to fly F over CW or CS. Cabin size is kind of irrelevant with decent headphones. Dont drink on planes these days (dehydration, and nothing tastes great anyway), and I have never encountered restaurant quality food on a plane, so who cares what is served?

So as long as there is a bed to stretch out on, away from the tracksuit-wearing masses
ttama likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Magnus77
Will pick First over the club suite
Not for me. Other way around. I've flown Club Suite 7 times in the last 3 months. I flew old A380 F (mainly from the recommendations on here!) last month to ORD and found the seat to be very dated, very grubby in places and just feeling like it had been sat on a LOT of times (much like an old hotel bed which is in dire need of replacement).

I thought F was an upgrade as the drink and food is better, but found that not really to be the case either, surprisingly. It's ok if you're really into fine wines, top champagne etc, but I don't sit at 30,000 feet to drink fine wine.

So in future, I'll save cash and Avios and stick with J.
RJD1983 and ttama like this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci des Transports de Navette
I flew the Club Suite to AUS last year and found the seat quite uncomfortable for the last 2-3 hours. It just felt too hard.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Quality of sleep is always superior in F due to the nature of the cabin layout, fewer people moving (stomping) around, fewer people to serve and a more spacious suite.
And LPGS.
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 4:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Quality of sleep is always superior in F due to the nature of the cabin layout, fewer people moving (stomping) around, fewer people to serve and a more spacious suite.
And LPGS.
An atmosphere thick with the scent of wealth is an excellent sleep aid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.