Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Protocol for pilot rest - do they have to snooze off?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK, AI Platinum, BA Gold, EK Silver

Hello everyone - I had a quick question on pilot rest periods during long flights. Is there a specific requirement that they have to snooze off for the period of their downtime, or can they do whatever they want?

Context - on a recent overnight flight back from the Subcontinent, I was on a 789 with a non-operational F cabin (operating as FLUB). We had 3 pilots on board, the Skipper and 2 SFOs. The SFO came along a couple of hours after takeoff and sat down in one of the F seats. I thought he would put the duvet on and go to sleep, but instead watched Netflix on his iPad, chatted for a bit of time with the young ladies doing the forward Club cabin, then after disappeared back to the flight deck. Could have been maybe 3 hours, but can't remember for sure.

Hence the question - I have no idea how these things work but was very interested (and curious)!
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes it’s very carefully controlled and the pilots will ensure they are rested, if it’s not the time to sleep it’s very difficult to switch off and sleep, if they don’t sleep then if needed they will rest later.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 3:12 pm

It’s a rest break, a rest away from work. It’s quite difficult to sleep when your body isn’t ready for it. But that’s still a rest away from work.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:44 pm

We are legally required to take a rest break, the minimum for extending the duty time regulated hours is 2 hours for each crew member at the controls for landing. The requirements for the facilities required to take our rest are mandated by the various regulators but we are not legally bound to use that facility. There are multiple documents and guidelines plus training material all dedicated to the topic of fatigue management. Whilst nothing current can be posted here, some slightly more 'mature' guidance is below;

Rest:
Activity:
After breakfast, avoid drinking caffeine containing beveragessuch as coffee, tea, etc
Try to take a nap as late as possible before leaving for the airport. fI the schedule permits, this should be during the early afternoon.
Following the nap, you may drink caffeine containingbeverages such as coffee, tea, etc fi desired

IN-FLIGHT RECOMMENDATIONS
For rest scheduled in the first third of the flight, sleep may be more difficult and less effective than if taken later. You may therefore wish to modify the rest pattern to accommodate this and, if unable to sleep within 30 minutes, don't lie in the bunk trying to fall asleep but engage in other activities conducive to relaxation such as reading
Alternate periods of activity and relaxation during the flight The following are examples of activity:
• Conversations
• Tasks related to flight management
• Physical activities resulting from mental tasks such as
navigation and systems management

IN-FLIGHT RECOMMENDATIONS
The following may be considered during periods of relaxation:
• Activities not related to the flight such as reading newspapers
• Eating of snacks and meals, if possible at the start ofa relaxation phase
•Controlled rest as outlined in British Airways Flight Crew Orders, Section 24, Paragraph 2446
The phases of activity and relaxation should be alternated, but it is important that the end of each phase be expressed verbally to the other crew member. Unless the relaxation phase involves controlled rest, a cycle of approximately 90 minutes is recommended although the exchanges should be more frequent during the normal periods of increased sleepiness between 03H00-05H00 and
15H00-17H00.
Avoid taking snacks and meals at the same time as other crew members as this is likely to lead to simultaneous reductions in alertness
We also have a 'controlled rest' policy as do other airlines, this is more relevant for 'in-seat' rest. As you can see from the above, whilst we are required by law to have the facilities to enable the best possible chance of undisturbed rest, we are not required to use them if we ourselves know we won't achieve anything meaningful. We are always advised to trust our own personal physiology.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by flygirl68
It’s a rest break, a rest away from work. It’s quite difficult to sleep when your body isn’t ready for it. But that’s still a rest away from work.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 4:48 am

Hi Sigwx, my you are showing your age FCO ref😂😂
Sigwx likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Hi Sigwx, my you are showing your age FCO ref😂😂
Haha, I wondered if anyone would pick up on that reference! 😂 Shows there isn’t too long left before another step up the sen list occurs for everyone else. 😂
LCSinTexas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.