Wiki Posts
Search

GGL space release T&Cs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2023, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
GGL space release T&Cs

Im flying from the US to South Africa via London using my space release and Avios.

On the way back, I wanted to extend my layover in London by around 17 days and make it a holiday.

Apparently you cannot have a layover more than 14 days. The agent who put the flights in for me told me it was a done deal and just needed ticketing. This moron believed her and went and booked connecting flights and hotels.

Lo and behold a couple of days later I get told that this was an invalid routing and should have been denied from the outset.

Im now $5000 out of pocket on flights and hotels that are non-refundable.

Just a heads up for anyone who is thinking of doing the same.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 8:30 pm

This is strange. Ive booked UK layovers using GGL space release for even 8+ months.
Txubito and KARFA like this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
This is strange. Ive booked UK layovers using GGL space release for even 8+ months.
They are adamant I cant do it. I havent seen any T&Cs . When was the last time you did a similar layover?
Old Apr 13, 2023, 10:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Maybe this isnt joker related, but due to the underlying fare?
Old Apr 13, 2023, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Txubito
They are adamant I cant do it. I havent seen any T&Cs . When was the last time you did a similar layover?
Sep 2021 to Jul 2022.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 3:32 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Strange - I have just tried a dummy avios booking online from JNB to SFO and it let me have a stopover on London for 35 days. Not sure why space release would make any difference to that?

See Ts&Cs below.

Last edited by vintagepilot; Apr 14, 2023 at 5:46 am
Old Apr 14, 2023, 3:43 am

Rubbish, HUACA. Or even better send them an email.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 3:48 am

I think part of the problem is that I don't think I've ever seen the full T&C's written down anywhere?
Txubito likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 3:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I have never had an extended stopover but this is what I have in my T&Cs.
Not sure if they have changed as it isn't something I have looked into previously, but I have highlighted the section I believe is relevant.
I am not sure if there is an arguable difference between being "on route to" or "on return from".

4. Gold Guest List Redemption Reward

4.1. A Member shall be eligible for two Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards per Tier Point Collection Year starting on the date that the Member received an invitation to the Gold Guest List and was able to receive the Services. This does not affect Members ability to spend Avios in the usual way under the Executive Club membership Terms and Conditions.

4.2. The Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards shall be subject to flight capacity and availability.

4.3. All passengers must travel on the same booking as the Member.

4.4. Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards must be used before the end of the Tier Point Collection Year in which the benefit was issued. No Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards may be carried over and any unused Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards will be lost if Membership of the Gold Guest List for whatever reason terminates. There is no cash alternative or compensation available if the Member fails to use his/her Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards.

4.5. A Member can use their Gold Guest List Redemption Reward to book one one-way or one return trip, this can include a connecting flight to your onward destination for example Delhi-London-New York-London-Delhi. Stop overs on route to final destination are limited to 14 days. Side trips are not permitted, for example a trip that is not on route to your final destination, for example Delhi-London-New York-London-Rome-London-Delhi, the London-Rome-London would be classed as a side trip. Once the Member has returned to their original point of origin this is classed as one return trip.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 4:59 am

Unlike many rules that BA seem to make up as they go along, this is one that is mentioned explicitly in the T&Cs, as crazy8534 as highlighted above.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
This has come up for me as far back as March 2019. Was booking US-LHR-TLV and wanted to stay in london for longer than 14 days. If I recall correctly, the agent knew of the rule and didn't let me book it at all.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the T&Cs. I cant find them in my portal. I assume the agent didnt know about that clause, or thought returning from is different to en route to.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for the T&Cs. I cant find them in my portal. I assume the agent didnt know about that clause, or thought returning from is different to en route to.
A stopover is always enroute to the final destination. If flying r/t from A-C via B , then C is the final destination on an outbound journey and A is the final destination on the inbound
Txubito likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

An update on this one, not that anyone asked , they ended up giving me a set of space releases back after listening to the call as the agent had advised me wrongly.

They had to break up the booking with the original one terminating in London, and reserve a one way return on the date I wanted to.

Thankfully I had kept my hotel rooms and car rental.
Gastrocnemius, zen100 and TTmex like this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
An update on this one, not that anyone asked , they ended up giving me a set of space releases back after listening to the call as the agent had advised me wrongly.

They had to break up the booking with the original one terminating in London, and reserve a one way return on the date I wanted to.

Thankfully I had kept my hotel rooms and car rental.
Glad it worked out (and they listened to the tapes!). Enjoy the trip!

Pilot37

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.