Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to FAE (Faroe Isl.) conflicting searches

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:45 am
Original Poster

I'm having a very early look at flights to FAE. Looking at Skyscanner, etc they list indirect flights from LON (LON-CPH-FAE) using two BA flight numbers, yet the number used for the second leg is clearly for BCN-LHR. This is using an OTA called BudgetAir. Not sure where that's coming from.

Going directly to BA, they list a BA flight for leg one, with the second leg on Atlantic Air, which is the only airline that covers that route. If I search for this using Avios I get a warning saying that neither BA or its partners fly to FAE, which strictly speaking is correct.

So, if I can buy a flight from BA, why can I not get it on Avios? And if I did buy it on BA, would only the first leg or both legs qualify for TPs and Avios?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I'm having a very early look at flights to FAE. Looking at Skyscanner, etc they list indirect flights from LON (LON-CPH-FAE) using two BA flight numbers, yet the number used for the second leg is clearly for BCN-LHR. This is using an OTA called BudgetAir. Not sure where that's coming from.

Going directly to BA, they list a BA flight for leg one, with the second leg on Atlantic Air, which is the only airline that covers that route. If I search for this using Avios I get a warning saying that neither BA or its partners fly to FAE, which strictly speaking is correct.

So, if I can buy a flight from BA, why can I not get it on Avios? And if I did buy it on BA, would only the first leg or both legs qualify for TPs and Avios?
Atlantic Air isn’t a partner of BA and so you cannot redeem avios on a nonpartner airline.

If you bought a cash ticket at ba.com the first flight on BA would earn avios and TPs. As Atlantic Air is not a partner, the only way you could earn avios and TPs is if there was a BA codeshare on this flight and you were booked on the BA codeshare.
See this post in the Guide:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33863742-post6.html
PAL62V and orbitmic like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Vágar Airport is one of my haunts and in my experience you best reserve this for your Star Alliance frequent flyer airmiles, not that SAS from CPH is always good use of it, I think the cash fares aren't usually too bad. I can't see BA, or even BACF going to FAE, even if the RAF built the airport.
PAL62V and orbitmic like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
That would be a niche destination . I would hope BA re-start ICN and BKK before starting FAE.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 12:15 am

You didn't specify date. In summer, there are also two flights a week from Edinburgh to Vagar, again by Atlantic airways
Old Apr 12, 2023, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
You didn't specify date. In summer, there are also two flights a week from Edinburgh to Vagar, again by Atlantic airways
Yes, summer time. I had a look at Atlantic and CDG, EDI plus a couple of others are options, although maybe the wrong days of the week.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I did it last year booked two tickets, LCY-EDI with BACF and then EDI-FAE with Atlantic. Way up was fine. The way was a disaster as a typical Faroese day of weather meant nothing could land for a large chunk of the day. Atlantic don't have any kind of fleet size to cope with that so I think we arrived into EDI about 8 hours late. Of course being EDI there isn't a single BA staff member to be found anywhere

A very expensive delay, cost me a last minute hotel booking at the airport plus the final seat the next morning on the first LCY flight.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:07 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhbloke
I did it last year booked two tickets, LCY-EDI with BACF and then EDI-FAE with Atlantic. Way up was fine. The way was a disaster as a typical Faroese day of weather meant nothing could land for a large chunk of the day. Atlantic don't have any kind of fleet size to cope with that so I think we arrived into EDI about 8 hours late. Of course being EDI there isn't a single BA staff member to be found anywhere

A very expensive delay, cost me a last minute hotel booking at the airport plus the final seat the next morning on the first LCY flight.
Well to be fair, a failed separate tickets connection is entirely on you, not BA nor Atlantic Airways…
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke

just be glad of the RNAV approach and the A320 aircraft Atlantic now operate. Back in the BAe 146 era delays in and out of Vagar were measured in days not hours!
bhbloke likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Well to be fair, a failed separate tickets connection is entirely on you, not BA nor Atlantic Airways…
I fully appreciate your wisdom, oh wise one
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
just be glad of the RNAV approach and the A320 aircraft Atlantic now operate. Back in the BAe 146 era delays in and out of Vagar were measured in days not hours!
We were sat in the terminal and you could hear them trying the approach. On occasion one would drop into view and everyone would clap as they waited so see which flight it would operate.

Mostly we never even saw them.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Slightly off topic but just saw that Atlantic Airways are starting a new once/week route at the end of August until October(?) between New York and the Faroes. Unusually it’s a daytime flight going eastbound and it uses SWF airport (also used by Icelandic low-cost carrier Play).

FAE-SWF Tuesday
SWF-FAE Wednesday

https://www.atlanticairways.com/en-us/book/routes/faroe-islands

Last edited by salut0; May 22, 2023 at 1:21 pm
Old May 22, 2023, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
Unusually it’s a daytime flight going eastbound and it uses SWF airport (also used by Icelandic low-cost carrier Play).

FAE-SWF Tuesday
SWF-FAE Wednesday
Yes, they decided it was cheaper to keep an aircraft there overnight than a crew there for a week. And the biggest difficulty has apparently been getting enough crew US visas, they’ve all had to go to Copenhagen for interviews!
Old May 22, 2023, 9:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Confus
Yes, they decided it was cheaper to keep an aircraft there overnight than a crew there for a week. And the biggest difficulty has apparently been getting enough crew US visas, they’ve all had to go to Copenhagen for interviews!
Sounds like you have some inside scoop — what made them decide to start the route so late in the summer? They basically miss the entire US summer holiday season so I don’t see how many US-originating passengers they hope to get. Will there be enough FAE-originating traffic to support these flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.