Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very weird middle seat encounter

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2023, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Very weird middle seat encounter

Not sure whether to post this here or if the current trend is on a specific Reddit thread but here goes. Short hop from MAD-LHR yesterday and I had (imo) the best seat on the plane being a window seat in the second exit row. Even better the middle seat was blocked (presumably because I am a GCH but can't be certain) leaving a woman in the aisle. Seems perfect? Well shortly after takeoff the woman moved herself into the middle seat. No partner coming and no one sat in the empty aisle seat until she moved back for landing.

Very puzzling experience and what's the correct response to this sort of situation because why would anyone do this?!?! Personally I would've asked the woman to move but I had zero energy for an argument having just flown in from NYC and Amsterdam the day before that​​​​​​​
Old Mar 30, 2023, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Jzlerner
Not sure whether to post this here or if the current trend is on a specific Reddit thread but here goes. Short hop from MAD-LHR yesterday and I had (imo) the best seat on the plane being a window seat in the second exit row. Even better the middle seat was blocked (presumably because I am a GCH but can't be certain) leaving a woman in the aisle. Seems perfect? Well shortly after takeoff the woman moved herself into the middle seat. No partner coming and no one sat in the empty aisle seat until she moved back for landing.

Very puzzling experience and what's the correct response to this sort of situation because why would anyone do this?!?! Personally I would've asked the woman to move but I had zero energy for an argument having just flown in from NYC and Amsterdam the day before that
​​​​​​​Let out a fart
Old Mar 30, 2023, 3:57 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Show her yer socks
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
If it happened to me, I'd put it down to my irresistible charm and dashing good looks, somewhat akin to those Lynx adverts. The ex-MAD flights often ooze with the passion and romance that the departure city is renowned for.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltus
If it happened to me, I'd put it down to my irresistible charm and dashing good looks, somewhat akin to those Lynx adverts. The ex-MAD flights often ooze with the passion and romance that the departure city is renowned for.
Not this time. Middle aged lady from Essex.
LowValueCustomer and JessicaB like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Very strange indeed . Did the lady start a conversion with you?
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grande Annee
Very strange indeed . Did the lady start a conversion with you?
Nope. Nothing
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Maybe she knew somehow that you were a Gold and she had never had the privilege of sitting right next to one.

It's on a lot of folks tick lists I believe.
SK, makin'miles, ntamayo and 60 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:09 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I would have said "I am very sorry but that seat has been reserverd for me as well by BA"
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:16 am

Maybe her seat had a problem, or she has a shoulder injury and wants to make sure no one walked past and hit it.

It wouldn't cross my mind to say anything, as the middle seat wasn't mine (even if I had the relevant status, because it doesn't guarantee that you always get 2 seats on a flight).
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
I prefer an aisle seat
Due to if I need to stretch my legs or spend a penny (but I think it's only Ryan Air that charge)
I hate having to disturb people if I need to get up as have had the aisle occupant sleeping in the past.

I think that you may be correct with the bad shoulder, as I have lost count of the amount of times I have been bashed with carry ons or the buy on board trolly etc

Strange behavior without saying anything

Could easily have just said, I hope that you don't mind if I sit here as I keep getting knocked in the aisle etc
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Simple maths. If she sits in the aisle, she get her seat + half of the middle area shared with OP in the window. If she sits in the middle she gets all middle + all aisle seat room
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
How does Mrs Jzlerner feel about being referred to as "a woman in the aisle"?
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
It is a bit odd but I'm sure she had reason that was important to her. Not sure it would have been reasonable to ask her to move back and I certainly wouldn't have.
Empty seats in the ticketed cabin are pretty much fair game for anyone to move to and I'm pretty sure cabin crew wouldn't object if asked.
(Not relevant here but I think this doesn't apply on some planes when part loaded as there can be issues with aircraft balance if for instance all the pax move to the back.)
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Just let out passive aggressive harrumphing vibes and ensure you unequivocally own the shared armrest.

I think generally empty middle seats in exit rows get grabbed for staff travel quite often. I've started to avoid them, as blocks tend to stick better in other rows.
Confus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.