Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What other areas would you like to see Avios earning extended to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*G BA GGL/CCR

Hello all - a friend is working on alternatives for Avios earning and spending. What would you most like to see earn Avios aside from the current (banks, cards, hotels, cars, flights, wine etc)? And how would you like to spend Avios as a currency?

1 karma point per response. Muchos gracias.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I would like to earn Avios from flying. I would like to spend Avios on flights. Stop breaking something that wasn't broken.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*G BA GGL/CCR
I agree on the spending part. I only use Avios for flight redemptions and don’t see a need to use it for anything else.

But on the earning part nsm. I certainly use Amex, Barclays etc effectively.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I would like to make it harder to earn Avios from sign up bonuses etc and make the main earning flying so those that fly a lot and earn that way stand more chance of getting seats. While I think of it get rid of the BAH double TP's as well and cheap ex EU runs so loungers are less crowded. I will probably think of more this evening...
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: Some
Funerals
tattikat2, SQjunkie, HIDDY and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA : Virgin
Originally Posted by SQjunkie
Hello all - a friend is working on alternatives for Avios earning and spending. What would you most like to see earn Avios aside from the current (banks, cards, hotels, cars, flights, wine etc)? And how would you like to spend Avios as a currency?

1 karma point per response. Muchos gracias.
I have always believed there is a gap for an MNO Mobile Network Operator, e.g. O2 to offer Avios against monthly device/airtime tariff spend, as a network enticing offer and differentiator
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Flying on AirFrance/KLM
dougzz and HIDDY like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:26 pm

My parents fondly remember earning 'Tiger Tokens' from Esso. Whenever I mention the exorbitant cost of petrol, their eyes glaze over and they mention the 260 wine glasses in the shed that they earned from filling up. I believe soup bowls were also an option. And pajamas.

I think Avios should strive to invoke such memories. A business class flight to Guatemala is memorable for a week or two ... a carriage clock lasts a lifetime.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:04 pm

I would like to continue to earn proper Avios from flying. SBE can go to hell.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by marble
I think Avios should strive to invoke such memories. A business class flight to Guatemala is memorable for a week or two ... a carriage clock lasts a lifetime.
Anyone else remember the reward catalogue from the early days of Nectar? I think my dad got a decent camera from that.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Confus
Anyone else remember the reward catalogue from the early days of Nectar? I think my dad got a decent camera from that.
Well I can remember Green Shield stamps. And before that there were some sort of Pink Stamps.
T8191 and HIDDY like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Stop breaking something that wasn't broken.
I'm confused...are you implying that its not currently broken - in its current state, where you can already earn and redeem for more than just flying?

Or are you harkening back to a decade+ ago when it really was literally just these options?

Out of curiosity do you object to redemption options beyond just flights for some reason?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:14 pm

Down in Oz, we can earn qantas points for sleeping, walking and checking our smoke detectors so qantas can try a sell us overpriced insurance. You can’t quite get them for breathing yet, but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time. I now have a million qantas points and can’t get a flight off this rock with them.

Be careful what you wish for, increasing the supply decreases the value.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The idea of expanding Avios earning and making it into a "currency" just devalues it. Giving avios away like candy with credit cards creates inflation, giving as discount in shops gives an incentive to decrease the transferrable value, mostly when you spend avios you get very low value. The more widely it expands, the more the value is squeezed out of the scheme.

It's supposed to be a frequent flier scheme to earn flights. We're rapidly heading to a point where using avios on flights is difficult anyway for most people and requires increasingly large cash surcharges anyway. Shame.
etiene likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:27 pm

How about the ability to convert Avios into Tier Points for those who need a little help to achieve their status at year end?
cbyrne92, u01sss3, T8191 and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.