Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BBC matches Daily Mail reporting standards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond

Reading the BBC news report on self checkin kiosk issues at Gatwick today, and they seem to have taken on someone from the DM . Apparently one passenger queued for 2h waiting to check in for her “BA flight to Australia “. Hmmmmm…….
AbZorba likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by r22r44bell47
Reading the BBC news report on self checkin kiosk issues at Gatwick today, and they seem to have taken on someone from the DM . Apparently one passenger queued for 2h waiting to check in for her “BA flight to Australia “. Hmmmmm…….
Could be BA to DOH and then QR to Australia?
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:33 pm

Or BA to somewhere and thence on to Australia. Even if on a separate ticket many people would start at LGW for their trip.

I’m off to OSL, then BRU, AUH and BKK to get to HAN. So if inclined to make a fuss I’d blame BA from LHR for the delay.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FT matches Daily Mail reporting standards?
RichieMc, Misco60 and jokerjokerj like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by r22r44bell47
The story actually quotes a woman saying that she was "taking her sister to the airport to catch a British Airways flight to Australia". It's likely that her sister was flying to Doha and then onwards to Australia and, having probably booked the journey through BA, quite reasonably expected the entire journey to be on BA planes.

I don't see anything here that suggests that the BBC has reported this story in a sloppy way.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 1:27 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
The link is here for those interested: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...x-65075417.amp

Reporting of the destination aside this must have been a real pain in my experience the Gatwick operation is much more reliant on self check in than Heathrow, most of the staffed check in desks are not usually open, and part of what was the BA zone (ticketing/assistance) has been changed over to a Vueling area.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 1:27 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Misco60
The story actually quotes a woman saying that she was "taking her sister to the airport to catch a British Airways flight to Australia". It's likely that her sister was flying to Doha and then onwards to Australia and, having probably booked the journey through BA, quite reasonably expected the entire journey to be on BA planes.

I don't see anything here that suggests that the BBC has reported this story in a sloppy way.
Well, it is slightly sloppy. Nobody is catching a British Airways flight to Australia because it simply doesn’t exist.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JD1905
Well, it is slightly sloppy. Nobody is catching a British Airways flight to Australia because it simply doesn’t exist.
The journalist is quoting someone. I wouldn't expect them to then go off and check the schedules to see whether there actually is a flight to Australia; for the purposes of the story, which is the length of delay suffered by passengers, it makes no difference.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:39 am

I think to equate the BBC with the standards (or lack of) the Daily Scare is in itself a DM style of headline.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 4:13 am

Unless the BBC uses the word chaos in every other article, it’s not the same standard as the Daily Fail. “Chaos as passenger takes 2hrs to check in….” would be a Daily Fail headline. 😃
the810 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:07 am

Confused as to what a newspaper standard has to do with a check-in experience at an airport.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
A better comparison would be with RAF Luton
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Door5L
Unless the BBC uses the word chaos in every other article, it’s not the same standard as the Daily Fail. “Chaos as passenger takes 2hrs to check in….” would be a Daily Fail headline. 😃
If it was "Fears of Arctic Freeze Chaos as Passenger Takes 2hrs to Check In" it would be the Daily Express.
PAL62V and the810 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav
If it was "Fears of Arctic Freeze Chaos as Passenger Takes 2hrs to Check In" it would be the Daily Express.
”Ghost of Diana Appears While Passenger Waiting 2 Hours to Check In”
geronimo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.