Wiki Posts
Search

CHS [will it be reinstated?]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
CHS [will it be reinstated?]

Any chance that BA will return to Charleston with their summer service in the near future?
Thanks, Tom
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by Charleston Tom
Any chance that BA will return to Charleston with their summer service in the near future?
Thanks, Tom
It depends. If the data suggests that there is enough traffic ending up at CHS, then they might bring it back.

I recently switched over to OW because I got fed up with ST, and the only caveat is that my employers have me travel to SEL twice a year to oversee the branch over there. It's a little annoying to connect through HND or be forced to do other stuff in Europe before and then go through HEL or DOH. Shame that BA isn't bringing back LHR-ICN or else it would've allowed for me to get all four BA segments in at one go, coming from the US.

Last edited by physicsdude; Mar 20, 2023 at 2:17 pm
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I have fond memories of CHS - I booked there instead of CRW which is where I was meant to go! Which meant I had a lovely trip from CHS-CRW
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:58 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Don't they already have a few planes stored there waiting for delivery?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
perhaps they should start a one way service.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alex67500

Just flew in today and don't remember seeing any BA 787 there. They change often and when our area gets full they ferry some to Washington. Now that deliveries have ramped up alot of people are picking them up here. Saw n Aeromexico leave out Friday.

Remember, CHS was only 3 days a week, we shared with New Orleans that got the other 4 days.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:18 am

The BA flight from CHS came in handy one time for me. Was scheduled to fly CHS-EWR-ARN when CHS-EWR got heavily delayed by a thunderstorm. Was rebooked out of CLT. So I drove the family 3 hours up to CLT in a hurry only to miss check-in for my flight by 15 minutes (we had bags). I hurriedly booked CHS-LHR-ARN from my phone leaving that night at 2300. Turned the car around and made the flight with 30 minutes to spare!
Old Mar 21, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
I was surprised when the service began; it was as if we were in a time warp somewhere mid 18th century when the traffic and commerce between Charleston the Mother Country was a bit more brisk.

Not sure how well the load factors were, but if they have the aircraft and crew and it's profitable, it may return.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I doubt it as crew, pilots and aircraft are in short supply? I went to medical school in CHS and summer there is brutally hot, humid and full of mosquitos not to mention the ubiquitous "palmetto bugs" aka cockroaches.

Currently I live close to BNA and summer here is not fun yet at one time there was daily service to/from LHR pre Covid and I hope that daily service returns.

CHS is charming but other locations in the south, ie Nashville and New Orleans have a bigger draw even in summer. One must follow the money, ie flight loads.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 6P&E
I was surprised when the service began; it was as if we were in a time warp somewhere mid 18th century when the traffic and commerce between Charleston the Mother Country was a bit more brisk.
I did use this service when it was running and I have to say that it did come across as a very easy place to enjoy for a few days - you can walk around much of it and the echoes of the past are all around you. There are some lovely colonial houses that have been well maintained with interesting gardens. I think it was popular with crews because it was something like 2 to 3 days there, depending on arrival day and it's not an expensive place to explore or eat out.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Currently I live close to BNA and summer here is not fun yet at one time there was daily service to/from LHR pre Covid and I hope that daily service returns.

CHS is charming but other locations in the south, ie Nashville and New Orleans have a bigger draw even in summer. One must follow the money, ie flight loads.
The summer prior to Covid BA had upgraded the BNA-LHR aircraft to 787-9 with three classes of service. I had the opportunity to fly in F twice on the route. F was pretty much empty on one flight and completely full on the other
Old Mar 23, 2023, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by 6P&E
The summer prior to Covid BA had upgraded the BNA-LHR aircraft to 787-9 with three classes of service. I had the opportunity to fly in F twice on the route. F was pretty much empty on one flight and completely full on the other
Actually it was 4-class before covid.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 8:17 am

Smile

Originally Posted by Confus
Actually it was 4-class before covid.
You're correct. I forgot about World Traveler Plus.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 2:57 pm

British Airways - Charleston, SC

Evening all,

Just wanted to ask if anyone has heard anything about BA resuming the service to Charleston for S24?

Was keen to visit and wondered if some of the covid casualties would be reinstated any time soon.

Thanks
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hk

I would have thought that BA would need to receive more aircraft before launching/restoring routes

Have not heard of chs restarting

regards

tbs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.