Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling BA amex card to reset clock

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Cancelling BA amex card to reset clock

Hi...

I recently downgraded from BA Platinum to the basic blue card..... but now want to cancel to reset the 2 year clock, as I'm now a supplemental platinum cardholder on my partner's card. I have two unused vouchers at the moment.

The Amex rep has said the terms and conditions of my vouchers state that they have to be used with my (now blue) card and I should not cancel it. They were earned with my now cancelled platinum card this doesn't make much sense.

Given I still have a platinum (supplmental) card in my name so is there any risk in just going ahead and cancelling to reset the clock? I've read other discussions confirming downgrading is not an issue but can't find anything about cancelling the card.

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Any 241 vouchers can be redeemed with any AMEX card online - there's no checks - just has to be any AMEX in your name
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Mikeyfly is correct; in theory you need to use the AMEX that earned the voucher, to pay the fees on redemption using that voucher, but in practice any AMEX will do fine. I don't even think it even has to be in your name, pretty sure I used my AMEX on my wife's 241.
Speaking from personal experience, and countless anecdotal evidence sources.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.