Wiki Posts
Search

Quickie: suit bag as a personal bag?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2023, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Quickie: suit bag as a personal bag?

I have a flight coming up in PE out, Club back. I’d like to travel hand luggage only. I have a small wheeled case which works as a cabin bag. My second piece of hand luggage is a suit bag. This exceeds the 12”x16”x6” dimensional requirement.

Chances of me having to check one of those as hold luggage, or will I get waved through?

TIA
Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Bump. Anyone?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:45 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Have a look here to see what people get away with. In particular the last post.

If we care, we cannot carry on with this carry-on madness
Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
If you are referring to a thin suit/garment cover I don’t think it will be a problem. If it’s an actual garment bag with wheels etc. then it likely will be a no-go.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The “spirit” of the personal item is something one should typically be able to keep at their feet without using locker space (eg handbag, small backpack, computer bag).

That said, as posted above, if you mean a simple garment protection it’s unlikely to be an issue as long as you are aware it will certainly be over or under your or someone else’s bag in the locker rather than have it’s own space (in those cases, I’d put it directly on top of my own carry on). If you mean anything on wheels or that would not fit on top of other bags in the lockers and would require its own dedicated locker footprint, then I’m afraid that’s a no go and rightly so as there isn’t enough space in the lockers on a busy flight for anyone to get more overhead space than what’s allowed for their main carry on and there is no wardrobe in wt+).
Old Mar 19, 2023, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should be fine, but as others have said expect it not to be hung in a pristine manner on the WT+ sector.

As a side note, fascinated that anyone still wears a suit!
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. No wheels on the suit bag.

As to wearing a suit, it’s court dress, and the other stuff I’m taking is for the same purpose. I can really afford for any of it to end up as lost or delayed baggage.
Swanhunter and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 3:57 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
I’ve done this often (for exactly the same reason), including in ET. You won’t have a problem.
Greg66 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Greg66

As to wearing a suit, it’s court dress, and the other stuff I’m taking is for the same purpose. I can really afford for any of it to end up as lost or delayed baggage.
that makes sense - and yes you should be fine with a simple garment carrier.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 6:13 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
I often see them and the crew will usually take good care of them.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:16 am

Suit bag with the one long zipper are fine as personal item. Expect it to get stuffed inside the overhead though.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Greg66

Court dress: Gown rolled up and in hand luggage; bands and collars interleaved in a book; wig, hand luggage; suit, hand luggage.....no need for suit carrier....that's what irons and hangers are for at your destination.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Because follow up matters…

It was all fine. T5 was rammed, with N&S security overloaded at just past noon on Sunday. Airside was also rammed and being in lowly PE my only shot at a lounge was Club Aspire, which had a 1 hour wait time. We had quite a late hearing date notification, and I remember missing out on the last J seat, which I think my oppo snagged based on him being in front of me at the immigration queue on arrival. I don’t believe in omens, which is just as well.

My carry on (the truly excellent Away Travel Bigger Carry On) went into the overhead locker on a 777 with the suiter on top with room to spare. So all good. Or, as we lawyers like to say, S’all GoodMan!

Not sure I fancy ironing on arrival, personally, and I wouldn’t fancy putting a starched wing collar in a book - they are about as yielding as a horseshoe!

Thanks to all who’ve chipped it. It helped to put my mind at ease.
MaxFlyer, DaveS, tattikat2 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.