Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA344 [LHR-NCE] cancelled for 5 days in a row....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Accor - Gold; Radisson - Gold; Hyatt - Globalist

Hi Board. Scheduled to fly JFK-LHR-NCE in May. First segment is on AA, so hope the flight will be OK. Second leg is BA 344, so concerned about cancellations. Any insights into most recent cancellations? TiA.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:44 am

Weather, French ATC strike, BA staff problems. Probably one of each! Middle of the day flights do often seem to be the ones that get trimmed so as to keep nightstopped aircraft in position but otherwise no reason yours is more or less likely to get cancelled
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
With MIPIM this week, there's no way BA are cancelling flights to NCE.

M
LostAntipod likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
These are just tactical cancellations done well in advance. It’s not representative of operational issues on the day.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There have been major strikes in France across several sectors (particularly transport) since March 7th and airlines have been required to reduce their flying schedule on multiple days. Cancellations of NCE flights are likely to be related to that. It is unlikely that flights in May would be affected by this.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Ive been keeping an eye on these flights too as I see the late flights recently have been cancelled too (BA349 NCE-LHR 7-9 March around 9pm). I’ve been reading about ATC strikes. This is the flight I’m returning on this Friday after MIPIM (hopefully flight out to nice today is operating!) & I pray they sort it by then, I won’t survive the hangover stranded!
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
With MIPIM this week, there's no way BA are cancelling flights to NCE.

M
famous last words…
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
For flights in May there is nothing to worry about now.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Accor - Gold; Radisson - Gold; Hyatt - Globalist
Thank you, all, for your insights!
Old Mar 13, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by totallyi
Thank you, all, for your insights!
For what it's worth too - Marseilles Area ATC are the most militant centre on the mainland - strike adherance is considerably greater than at other enroute centres so delays tend to be significantly worse. NCE sits under Marseilles so there is no way of getting around it.
plunet likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:28 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by TheEscapist
For what it's worth too - Marseilles Area ATC are the most militant centre on the mainland - strike adherance is considerably greater than at other enroute centres so delays tend to be significantly worse. NCE sits under Marseilles so there is no way of getting around it.
BA is, or was, quite capable of routing to and from NCE via Belgium, Germany and Italy and avoiding French airspace altogether except for the final approach (arriving) and take-off (departing). Whether there's still the will to do that seems doubtful now.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1P
BA is, or was, quite capable of routing to and from NCE via Belgium, Germany and Italy and avoiding French airspace altogether except for the final approach (arriving) and take-off (departing). Whether there's still the will to do that seems doubtful now.
As is every other airline, but then all those other sectors bordering French sectors quickly become saturated as well. Also you still need to go through French ATC to get to Nice regardless of your alternative routing.

I am afraid it isn't that simple as saying if there is a will to do it.
TheEscapist likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 1P
Avoiding the rest of France isn't the issue - there's nout you can do when the restriction is at the point of arrival - doesn't matter how you got there
Old Mar 16, 2023, 3:13 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by TheEscapist
Avoiding the rest of France isn't the issue - there's nout you can do when the restriction is at the point of arrival - doesn't matter how you got there
On several occasions in the past BA have managed to fly me in and out of Nice via the routing I described, even when French ATC was on strike. Flight times were longer, obviously. I don't know the details of how this was accomplished, obviously.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 4:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No one is saying it’s impossible - clearly some flights do run on strike days. However, what is being suggested is that it’s not as simple as just saying oh we can just route around and there aren’t any issues. As noted everyone else is trying to route around France too, but that causes congestion in neighbouring sectors and their capacity is not infinite.
TheEscapist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.