Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adjacent seat block for Gold long haul?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2023, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Adjacent seat block for Gold long haul?

As title, does BA's blocked seat next to gold apply on long haul?
I understand it's only applicable if flight isnt full, but just wondered if it even apllies at all.

If so, is the best bet to choose one of the rows with 2 seats, near the back? It's LHR-EWR so is listed as a 777.

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
If the flight isn’t full AND the seat next to you hasn’t been pre-assigned by perhaps a group of 2, then yes, if your card is in your booking, the seat will be theoretically blocked. Important to note that it’s not a ‘hard block’ and the seat is assignable by an agent with the right level of system access, or to another card holder.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by surryson
If the flight isn’t full AND the seat next to you hasn’t been pre-assigned by perhaps a group of 2, then yes, if your card is in your booking, the seat will be theoretically blocked.
Sorry for this, likely, silly question, but what do you mean by pre-assigned? I'm thinking you mean those seats have already been chosen by someone else, but then I don't understand how I would be able to choose them?

Also, does it matter if I booked now but didn't reach gold until next month? Or should I wait? I'll be gold after I return from a trip on Apr 1st.

Thanks again
Old Mar 11, 2023, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
I’ve had seats blocked but it’s not out of the question that your “blocked” seat will be taken if the flight is full (enough).

Or this might happen instead.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by FT01
Sorry for this, likely, silly question, but what do you mean by pre-assigned? I'm thinking you mean those seats have already been chosen by someone else, but then I don't understand how I would be able to choose them?

Also, does it matter if I booked now but didn't reach gold until next month? Or should I wait? I'll be gold after I return from a trip on Apr 1st.

Thanks again
I take it they mean if for example you were to assign yourself 30A and 30B is already assigned to another passenger, 30B isn't going to be turfed out to accommodate a blocked seat for you.

On the otherhand if 30B is vacant at the point you assign yourself 30A then theoretically it should subsequently show to others with lesser status as being greyed out on the seat map moving forward.

Yes it does matter that you're still Silver as the block won't necessarily protect 30B from being assigned until you move up the status ladder. If it were me I'd wait until you reach Gold before assigning the seat you want.

Keep in mind of course the theoretical seating block can be lifted at any time based upon load factors of your booked flight in the event 30B is needed by another passenger.

For additional context, theoretic seating blocks aren't seen by crew on board. For all intent and purpose, it shows on the crew iPads as an open seat so 30B would still be seen as free for the purpose of reseating other passengers if they needed to, even if the theoretical block had protected it from being assigned up until the point that boarding had been completed.

The only way to absolutely guarantee 30B remains blocked and yours would be to purchase it as a comfort seat.
crazy8534, RJD1983 and boonkoh like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Mar 11, 2023 at 6:28 pm
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
OP, you should search for the "Theoretical seating masterthread" - it will tell you all you need to know about what BA does and does not do in terms of seats access/blocks
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 3:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ts-status.html
orbitmic and RJD1983 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 4:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
When you get much nearer to departure then you may want to look at the options, at this stage it's too soon, and I suspect there is also a fair chance that the flight will go out completely full, just the way aviation is quite busy at the moment. Full flights, with standby passengers, won't lead to empty seats anywhere. But as a general rule, people love to sit near the front, so seats towards the back of the cabin are usually less preferred. The TS thread above has more information.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks all.
I'll wait til I get my gold card and book then. PE is £1200 return, which i cant justify for an upright seat. Will pray for a light load 🙏

Cheers
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Ha! Light loads aren’t common these days… you might also get a cheap POUG
FT01 and corporate-wage-slave like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by FT01
Thanks all.
I'll wait til I get my gold card and book then. PE is £1200 return, which i cant justify for an upright seat. Will pray for a light load 🙏

Cheers
Have you looked at starting your trip in Scandinavia? Not sure when you’re traveling but there are some good WT+ fares from ARN and CPH. For example:

(sorry for the graphic: can’t seem to paste the URL from Google Flights successfully)
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll have a look at it and see if i can make the schedule work.
Cheers
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:51 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I don't think people are suggesting you hold off booking your flight, but that you hold off selecting your seat.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:06 pm

I frequently travel from LCY. Learnt to never book CE. Instead, I just book Economy. I mostly get the adjacent seat blocked. (Due to my Gold status.) CE always looks chock-a-block full; while I get more 'space', in Economy. As there are no lounges at LCY, the ONLY benefit of CE from LCY, is the 'free' inflight meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.