Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does BA fly to ALG but not TUN or CMN?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Why does BA fly to ALG but not TUN or CMN?

Wondering why BA flies to ALG (Algiers) but not to TUN (Tunis) or CMN (Casablanca).

Clearly the simple reason is” it’s profitable”, but why?

Algeria isn’t much of a holiday destination, and I don’t think there’s a big Algerian diaspora in the UK compared to Moroccan or Tunisian (correct me if I’m wrong).

Is the traffic mostly connecting, and if so, from where? Wonder how much of the route is O&D vs connecting and where one might find out.

Is it Algeria’s oil industry that keeps the route going? Cargo?

Not flying to CMN is particularly strange, since Royal Air Maroc is now a member of OneWorld and one might have assumed that CMN would be a good connection point for traffic from London to other places in Africa.
bafan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 9:04 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I think that you will find that it is oil. CMN and AGA, they took as part of poor dear BMI's dowry. They did not last very long. I rather think that Marrakesh apart - the glamour of which has always eluded me - that this is rather francophone country. RAK was always considered somewhat 'hip' - I do not know if that has persisted. We used to fly to Tripoli (BCAL) and those flights were practically standing room only. It was all the oil workers and after a month in that dry country we had to ration the drinks on the way home. BA used to fly to TUN as memory serves, but I am unsure whether tourism has really picked up there even now.
salut0, EuropeanPete and asnovici like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I rather think that Marrakesh apart - the glamour of which has always eluded me - that this is rather francophone country.
Indeed, and I guess the turbulent history of Algerian-French relations (despite the Francophone commonality) gives the UK an entry point into Algeria which it might not otherwise have. Would be fascinated to read about the history of this. Apparently from some Googling the UK actually runs a trade deficit with Algeria!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oil, oil and oil. And the corporate deals linked to oil. There was a LGW to Hassi Messaoud too for a couple of seasons.

RAK is sustainable as there is a big inbound tourism flow year round. Great jumping off point for many other parts of Morocco too.

CMN has multiple AT flights daily from London as well as connections via MAD: I think IB also serve AGA though the charms of Agadir itself are pretty dubious.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
…and gas. Algiers has big gas fields.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

The US Ambassador to Algeria has tweeted quite regularly about how she hopes they’ll establish a direct flight to ALG from the USA. For example:

… but I wouldn’t be surprised if BA gets quite a lot of US connecting traffic to LHR-ALG and that makes a direct flight from the USA quite unlikely.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 9:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
I used to fly into Tunis regularly on business with a BA franchise (can't remember what it was called) out of LGW. I was working in Sfax at BG's facility. The flight used to have 3 or 4 rows of Club, which usually had 5 or 6 people in. The rest of the flight used to be full of silver hair off for some cheap winter sun.

Often time the oil companies will subsidise specific routes or at least give a guarantee of traffic.
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:15 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
We used to fly to Tripoli (BCAL) and those flights were practically standing room only. It was all the oil workers and after a month in that dry country we had to ration the drinks on the way home.
If I'm not mistaken, BCAL also used to fly to Oran in Algeria.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I might need to do a TUN trip this year or next, and as far as I can tell it's a OW black hole, unless I decide to go on AT via CMN, which would probably be a bit silly. Maybe IB....? There is a direct flight on Tunis Air, which has got to be the most sensible option.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by salut0
Indeed, and I guess the turbulent history of Algerian-French relations (despite the Francophone commonality) gives the UK an entry point into Algeria which it might not otherwise have. Would be fascinated to read about the history of this. Apparently from some Googling the UK actually runs a trade deficit with Algeria!
France's Total is heavily engaged in Algeria's ONG sector. BP has also been substantial in Algeria, but Italy is currently in the process of picking up from BP's backing off from Algeria .
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
BP has also been substantial in Algeria, but Italy is currently in the process of picking up from BP's backing off from Algeria .
Presumably as an alternative to previous investment in Libya (former Italian colony)?

Was there ever a time when BA offered flights to all North African countries — Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt? I remember the excitement about those ex-TIP fares from my early days on Flyertalk but I never got to visit Libya and fly one of them.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salut0
Presumably as an alternative to previous investment in Libya (former Italian colony)?

Was there ever a time when BA offered flights to all North African countries — Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt? I remember the excitement about those ex-TIP fares from my early days on Flyertalk but I never got to visit Libya and fly one of them.
Mid 00’s for sure if you count the GB franchise flights to CMN/RAK/TUN.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 1:10 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
If I'm not mistaken, BCAL also used to fly to Oran in Algeria.
I certainly didn’t. I think that they’d have put me on them as I speak French. I was always amazed how much Italian was spoken on the Tripoli.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
I used to fly into Tunis regularly on business with a BA franchise (can't remember what it was called) out of LGW. I was working in Sfax at BG's facility. The flight used to have 3 or 4 rows of Club, which usually had 5 or 6 people in. The rest of the flight used to be full of silver hair off for some cheap winter sun.

Often time the oil companies will subsidise specific routes or at least give a guarantee of traffic.
GB Airways then, presumably? I’m sure they were flying to TUN in the 00s until they were eaten by EasyJet.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:03 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Back in the mid-2000s BA (or a franchise?) used to fly LGW to Hassi Messaoud. Perhaps more obscure and certainly an gas route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.