Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA cancelled connection YYZ-YHZ, only offering impossible connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios

I have a flight booked London-Toronto-Halifax on BA connecting to Westjet.

Was originally supposed to fly
London-Toronto depart 13:55 arrive 15:55
Toronto-Halifax depart 19:00 arrive 20:20

the second leg is cancelled and is now rebooked to depart Toronto 15:30- resulting an impossible connection.

I've tried to search on BA for a viable alternative, but they don't even appear to offer this route anymore! It may be possible to go via Vancouver or the USA, but with a far longer journey time and very long layover. Anyone else had/having a similar experience

thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is of course a very nice direct service from LHR to YHZ on Air Canada, which I have used recently in the other direction. Yes this comes up a lot in this forum, the robots first replace the connection, and a separate, later exercise comes up with connections which are viable. Moreover if a flight or codeshare gets cancelled, it's best to leave it a few days since codeshares are automatically erased but only manually constructed. Without dates I can't give you more precise guidance but after a few days ring up BA and ask to be moved to the next codeshared flight, ideally identifying it. Worst case scenario is that you will have to stay over in Toronto.
becks1, Jimmie76 and unityofsaints like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks CWS, yes I booked the BA flight in the sale and got a great deal in J, otherwise the direct flight on AC would have been much more worthwhile. The date is Saturday August 19th. Will wait and see what comes up- thanks
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Before you talk to BA, it might be worth reflecting about whether a refund is a better option so that you can re-book yourself on the direct AC flight. (assuming that you cannot convince BA to re-route you on AC)

I'm as big a fan of Avios, Oneworld status perks / qualification, etc. as the next person, but turning a 7-hour direct flight on a good airline into an 8-hour flight + layover (possibly overnight) + 2 hour flight seems rather excessive to me, even if the fare was good...
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Agreed, the top alternative (on the BA website at least) is London-Vancouver-Halifax, which involves a 5.5 hour stint in economy Vancouver-Halifax- at which point the direct flight in economy on AC is vastly superior!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MintWasabe
Thanks CWS, yes I booked the BA flight in the sale and got a great deal in J, otherwise the direct flight on AC would have been much more worthwhile. The date is Saturday August 19th. Will wait and see what comes up- thanks
The direct LHR - YHZ service has 2 cabins, economy and premium economy, the latter is the same seats that are used on domestic AC services as business seats (and of course some Canadian domestic services are longer than LHR-YHZ....)

I'd leave a few days, well you could leave it until July really, but there is WS272 departing YYZ at 18:25, and an earlier at 17:15 but that's a bit soon really. And a late WS386 departing YYZ at 20:55 (and another at 22:20). Work out which one you like and then ring up for it if the robots haven't shifted the reservation.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you, really helpful advice!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I suggest to leave it as it is for now. Most likely the system will pick it up as an invalid YYZ connection. If not, you show up at the airport and let the staff deal with it on the day of departure.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I suggest to leave it as it is for now. Most likely the system will pick it up as an invalid YYZ connection. If not, you show up at the airport and let the staff deal with it on the day of departure.
Why would you recommend someone to show up at the airport and let the staff deal with it on day of departure? What would the OP do if the connecting flights were to be full?
DXB2745, omk298, Jimmie76 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:14 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
As CWS stated, no Canadian would fly to Halifax via Vancouver, like adding an extra TATL leg. Makes no sense, especially in Y!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by surryson
Why would you recommend someone to show up at the airport and let the staff deal with it on day of departure? What would the OP do if the connecting flights were to be full?
Indeed.. not the best advice!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:26 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Day of departure they may put you on AC rather than WS.
arf04 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:17 pm

Programs: BAEC, Virgin Flying Club
I have a flight booked London-Toronto-Halifax on BA connecting to Westjet.

Was originally supposed to fly
London-Toronto depart 13:55 arrive 15:55
Toronto-Halifax depart 19:00 arrive 20:20

the second leg is cancelled and is now rebooked to depart Toronto 15:30- resulting an impossible connection.

I've tried to search on BA for a viable alternative, but they don't even appear to offer this route anymore! It may be possible to go via Vancouver or the USA, but with a far longer journey time and very long layover. Anyone else had/having a similar experience

thanks!
Flying a very similar route on 26th as part of a very complicated holiday booking taking in New York as well in PE/Economy. Looks like weather are rationalising the YYZ-YHZ route.

Was also offered a routing via Vancouver on the phone, that made no sense. Now looks like I might need to consider an overnight in Toronto or reroute via Boston, Philadelphia or Washington. But this will likely cost a day and maybe a hotel.

Am going to spend the next few days working out options then speak to BA again. If only they could move that remaining flight a few hours back!
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Indeed, on the day of departure the chances of getting rebooked by airport staff exactly like the OP prefers is much higher. Of course there is risk of the preferred flight is sold out but that is a risk of this strategy.

If addressing this now there is zero chance that the OP will be put on the direct AC flight.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had that as well. Booked a F ticket in the sale for August on Thursday now the connection was cancelled yesterday. More interestingly it is still showing on AS website. I am going to ask to be put on a DL flight as it suits me better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.