Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ba tier points [and retaining Silver]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Ba tier points [and retaining Silver]

Yesterday I was a silver member. My tier point year ended January 8th 2023 and I had 855 tier points. Thus I was told I was a silver member for another year. On 27th February, I was told I was a silver member for my flight on Monday 6th March to Japan. Today, 2nd March I am told I am bronze as I have 360 points. Since January 2023, I have earned 360 points and I assume that is where the figure comes from.
What can I do to rectify this as I am getting nowhere with the executive club and it looks as though I won't be allowed into the lounge on Monday.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
As well as obtaining the 855 TPs last year, did you take the 4 qualifying BA-operated flights needed?

When you say "I was told I was a silver member for another year" and "On 27th February I was told I was a silver member" - who was it who told you in each case?

Did you show as having retained silver on the app?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Yes, the app says that I am a BA silver until February 2024. The email 2 days ago says I am a silver for the flight. The email today says I am a bronze. My tier point year is February 2023 to February 2024. Manage my booking says I am a bronze. It is also complicated by the fact that my flight to Japan now has 2 departures and two flight numbers, though I am going for the earlier flight as telephoning in says that one is the correct flight.

p.s. I had about 8 flights with BA / quantas etc last year

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 2, 2023 at 11:09 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts to help member with post count limitation
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
BA or marketed by BA is the key here, you need 4 flights on BA. Qantas won't count. Also BA IT on renewals seems a bit poor just now.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alang44
p.s. I had about 8 flights with BA / quantas etc last year
How many were with British Airways?

It does sound as though you didn't take the necessary qualifying flights, which you need in addition to the tier points. Status renewal is, in my experience, generally automatic and pretty reliable.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
How many were with British Airways?

It does sound as though you didn't take the necessary qualifying flights, which you need in addition to the tier points. Status renewal is, in my experience, generally automatic and pretty reliable.
To be clear - four of the flights must be BA ticketed AND on BA metal. The rest can be on any OW partner.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Crumbs. Sorry folks. It looks as though I have botched up. I used to use Lufthansa and did lots of miles with united et al. and star alliance didn't have that. I might have to move back to using them. Crazy. I have done well over 120,000 miles with OW this year. Teaches me a lesson.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
To be clear - four of the flights must be BA ticketed AND on BA metal. The rest can be on any OW partner.
I don't think that's the case: I thought a qualifying flight is one that is marketed or operated by BA or Iberia. (But happy to be corrected.)
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:44 am
Original Poster

pps. I was told in an email on 27th February the details of the flight and saying I| was a silver
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by PAL62V
No, that's not correct (albeit doesnt help the OP it seems )

A qualifying flight is one of:
  • BA operated OR marketed.
  • Iberia operated AND marketed.

It is entirely possible to retain status without ever stepping foot onto a BA aircraft.

Just for completeness, here it is from the horse's mouth: Executive Club - Eligible flights (britishairways.com)
PETER01, Marschel and crazy8534 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

More info here in the BA Dashboard. As far as I am aware it's still the same. At my bolding, this has caught out folks out in the past, not many but I have seen it posted on Flyertalk before.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32916271-post4.html

02 What is a qualifying flight?

Examples of criteria used to determine a qualifying flight:

BA operated + BA flight prefix
BA operated + other flight prefix
Other carrier operated + BA flight prefix
IB operated + IB flight prefix

Note, reward bookings and agency or industry discounted bookings are not qualifying flights. BA/IB subsidiaries and franchise operated flights are though.
crazy8534 and BertieBadger like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 11:34 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
alang44, welcome to FT and the BA forum.

It sounds like you were already a Silver member and thought you had enough TPs to requalify. As others have said, you also needed the four qualifying flights so it's almost certain this is the problem.

This is supported by the dates you've given. For a TP year end of 8th January, your card and status would continue until the end of February.

Any emails BA sent you up to and including 28th February - including for flights after that date, because BA would have no idea if you had flights planned for the final few days of your status "extension" which would bump you back up - would therefore refer to your Silver status, because that's how their system would see you.

On 1st March you would have been downgraded to Bronze and your account would reflect this.

However, please stick around - if you're doing 120k miles on oneworld in a year, assuming some are in premium cabins, with a bit of assistance from around these parts you should be at least Gold and possibly GGL!
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
And alang44 with your TP year ending in 8 January and already with a return to Japan in progress, the earlier you earn the remaining 600 TP and 4 qualifying flights, you will return to silver for the rest of this year and all of next....in other words you will keep silver upto 28 February 2025.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bisonrav
BA or marketed by BA is the key here, you need 4 flights on BA. Qantas won't count. Also BA IT on renewals seems a bit poor just now.
which part of BA IT is working well? I have published a comprehensive list below:

the end
ratechaser and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
No, that's not correct (albeit doesnt help the OP it seems )

A qualifying flight is one of:
  • BA operated OR marketed.
  • Iberia operated AND marketed.

It is entirely possible to retain status without ever stepping foot onto a BA aircraft.

Just for completeness, here it is from the horse's mouth: Executive Club - Eligible flights (britishairways.com)
Apologies - everyday's a school day....
BertieBadger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.