Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for Crew

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: air canada
Gifts for Crew

I am reading on social media passengers are gifting the flight attendants with $5 Starbucks cards or chocolates. Is this the done thing now? I have not flown for three years.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Certainly not seen this on any of the flights I've been on recently.
orbitmic, becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Ha! Five bucks won’t get a coffee in most Starbucks now no it’s not “the done thing” but each to their own. Mixed opinions last time this question did the rounds last year … A question for cabin crew re: gifts / chocolates
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by sparklymermaid
I am reading on social media passengers are gifting the flight attendants with $5 Starbucks cards or chocolates. Is this the done thing now? I have not flown for three years.
No, certainly not. Especially not on British Airways although we do hear reports of some passengers handing out chocolates to cabin crew. Social media is not particularly representative of the real world.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
I was on a CE flight back from TFS over Christmas were one passenger gave the crew a box of chocolates and they distributed them to the Club passengers which was nice of them.
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Thank you, but no thank you.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 2:33 pm

My taxi driver always expects a tip. Should I tip the pilot?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:04 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've given out (sealed) chocolates around the holidays, but that is am the exception, not the rule. It certainly isn't expected (but has always been well received) and I'd guess 99% of passengers don't.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by Fly2Connect; Feb 21, 2023 at 3:41 pm
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by muscat
That's a great comment to annoy and please pilots. On the one hand they love making and saving money but being compared to a taxi driver.... (I stereoetype only slightly!)
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by sparklymermaid
I saw the same thing mentioned on a recent BA Facebook ad and honestly... so much cringe. One woman gleefully mentioned how much she loved BA and that she was bringing "StarB cards" for cabin crew and conveniently managed to drop in how much she was looking forward to her flight to [specific destination] on [specific date].

It came across as the most lame attempt at getting an upgrade I've witnessed...and thats saying something, as those FB comments sections are literally teeming with upgrade beggars.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
We went to Malta for half term. On the outbound I saw two separate passengers handing over goodies to the crew. One gave them two boxes of doughnuts. Bit weird really - is it a bribe? I only saw the crew scoffing the leftovers from the meal service.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Well, today, I have just "gifted" a Golden ticket to the brilliant senior cabin crew on my LCY flight. He went out of his way to make my very short remarkably pleasant and was just great with every other passenger in the CE cabin despite a full flight. I did that after I arrived, and if I remember correctly, he will never know it was from me which is exactly the way it should be.

If you want to thank flight attendants, I suggest you use Golden tickets/ well done. That actually is the done thing (or at any rate what BA has devised as our primary avenue to express gratitude to those who go above and beyond to give us great trips) and I personally find it a lot less awkward than a $5 coffee voucher which could almost come across as slightly patronising even though I@m sure it would be meant in the best possible way.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by muscat
I would slip a few fivers under the cockpit door in an unmarked envelope as a bribe for finding a shortcut into Heathrow
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:48 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Magic01273
I saw the same thing mentioned on a recent BA Facebook ad and honestly... so much cringe. One woman gleefully mentioned how much she loved BA and that she was bringing "StarB cards" for cabin crew and conveniently managed to drop in how much she was looking forward to her flight to [specific destination] on [specific date].

It came across as the most lame attempt at getting an upgrade I've witnessed...and thats saying something, as those FB comments sections are literally teeming with upgrade beggars.
At the danger of thread creep, I've seen worse, particualrly one very infamous letter on RAF headed notepaper that was handed to the cabin crew to give to the Captain. Not sure if the letter itself is out there in the public domain but it did enough rounds of social media that they apparntly had to disconnect the associated telephone number and email address!
ExGGLer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 4:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
A reminder that a lot of behaviour that’s being normalised on IG and TikTok is often either socially unacceptable, illegal or stupid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.