Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL changes (speculation)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
GGL changes (speculation)

I see from another thread that the return of the CCR card is a possibility.

It has occurred to me over the last few months that the GGL qualifications and benefits may get tinkered with as life returns to normal.

What changes would people like to see, and what existing services do you value most? For me, I value the following in this order:

GGL line
Jokers
Partner cards

I like the CCR and have got to know many of the wonderful staff over the years so I’d be sad to lose access when I fly short haul J, but in reality I can’t see me dropping below 5000 TPs per annum for the foreseeable future.

I do wonder if BA is contemplating a more dramatic change where GGL requires a higher number of TPs to retain it……
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Could you please kindly share a link to the other thread you're mentioning. I am unable to find any thread related to this on the first 3 pages of the BA board.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Could you please kindly share a link to the other thread you're mentioning. I am unable to find any thread related to this on the first 3 pages of the BA board.
They are probably referencing this comment:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35028208-post22.html
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I see from another thread that the return of the CCR card is a possibility.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes. Exactly.

Personally, I had no problem with the previous arrangement of 5,000 for the CCR card. I still don't really understand why it was changed.
IkarosBOS and PGberkshire like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Kept the riffraff out anyway
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
Yes. Exactly.

Personally, I had no problem with the previous arrangement of 5,000 for the CCR card. I still don't really understand why it was changed.
Probably to help out those who generally earned enough TPs for GGL and/or flew F for business etc., but couldn't do much during Covid. Make it a little easier to maintain what they are used to and hopefully they'll continue spending £££££ with you.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by xenole
Probably to help out those who generally earned enough TPs for GGL and/or flew F for business etc., but couldn't do much during Covid. Make it a little easier to maintain what they are used to and hopefully they'll continue spending £££££ with you.
Why not just use the temporarily lower thresholds or status extensions if that was the case (like with the other tiers)?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
And bear in mind I think all GGLs who were at that level in April 2020 should have been extended in to 2023 and therefore wouldn't be dropping in status until some point this year at the earliest.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Why not just use the temporarily lower thresholds or status extensions if that was the case (like with the other tiers)?
BA logic.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
just end the BAH promo and let the levels return to pre-pandemic norms!
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
And bear in mind I think all GGLs who were at that level in April 2020 should have been extended in to 2023 and therefore wouldn't be dropping in status until some point this year at the earliest.
This is the biggest reason I think there might not actually be any imminent changes. BTW has anyone actually heard any chatter on this aside from us specualting among ourselves? As mentioned, lot of people who got extensions will start falling out (partly offset by people taking advantage of the double points promotion). Maybe I'm being too charitable, but you'd think BA would have thought this stuff through and were aware of the pretty obvious effects before they ditched the CCR card.

I'm also somewhat puzzled by the notion that the problem is the CCR being overcrowded. It doesn't seem massively worse than before the pandemic, not that I used it very much back then. There were always busy times of days and holiday periods. The only recent time I remember a serious issue was between christmas and new year that I saw a family group annoyed they couldn't get a dining table together and had to sit on one of the high-top tables.

Personally I'm feel I'm pretty safe with planned travel for the next couple of years, so not super stressed one way or another. But is it possible that by making the CCR so exclusive that while those who retain access always get a quiet spot to sit (I like the table right under the nose cone; other single travellers like to spread out and take a whole couch-cabana-tent thingy on the terasse), the place becomes so deserted that there are more staff than customers most of the time and BA cuts costs and therefore quality?
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by VSLover
just end the BAH promo and let the levels return to pre-pandemic norms!
Nooooooooooo! What have us poor silvers ever done to you!
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Given how poor the Chelsea lounge is vs. the old JFK CCR - I think a lot on here would have to question the value of trying to reach 5K (if that threshold is reinstated) for what is essentially now just the T5 CCR lounge in terms of value of the card!

Pilot37
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc
This is the biggest reason I think there might not actually be any imminent changes. BTW has anyone actually heard any chatter on this aside from us specualting among ourselves? As mentioned, lot of people who got extensions will start falling out (partly offset by people taking advantage of the double points promotion). Maybe I'm being too charitable, but you'd think BA would have thought this stuff through and were aware of the pretty obvious effects before they ditched the CCR card.
Well, we all know BA, and it's inevitable some "enhancement" is coming.
They're like a Government who give you something with one hand but take something back with two hands.

The spend based earnings may reduce a few people who may have booked F redemptions.

To be honest, I'm not sure what difference an increase in GGLs makes? AS said, the CCR isn't much busier, if not the same, unless AA are having issues with GGLs and the Chelsea lounge for example? Maybe they want a discernible difference between a plain old GGL and a CCR card holder when comparing them to a CK?

Sure someone knows for sure what's on the cards.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I currently fly enough for BA GGL + Lufthansa Silver. I've been thinking for a while now that I might be better off with BA Gold + Lufthansa Gold. Removing some GGL benefits would make that decision a lot easier for me.

Let's see what will happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.