Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading a Reward Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2023, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Upgrading a Reward Flight?

Hi All,

Just booked my first reward flight using avios. Currently booked in WTP/Premium Economy.

I'm wondering whether it's possible to pay to upgrade from WTP to Club?

Cheers
Old Feb 18, 2023, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
The only 2 ways I know of is finding reward availability in club and upgrading that way or to buy an AUP if available when you check in.

If there's a third way, hopefully someone will share...

Good luck!
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver
As above - there has to be reward availability in the class you want, then it’s just a case of ringing the executive club phone line and paying the extra avios, the extra taxes and fees and the £35 admin fee per person.

if there’s none currently available, join seatspy and set an alert to email you if and when one comes up - I’ve done this twice now, on outbound and inbound legs on a Malidives flight, in club both ways.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Penfold101
As above - there has to be reward availability in the class you want, then it’s just a case of ringing the executive club phone line and paying the extra avios, the extra taxes and fees and the £35 admin fee per person.

if there’s none currently available, join seatspy and set an alert to email you if and when one comes up - I’ve done this twice now, on outbound and inbound legs on a Malidives flight, in club both ways.
No chance of a POUG then? Not looking to use Avios to upgrade to a reward seat in Club as I'd need to buy 100k avios

Otherwise I will just have to try what JayeJ said and go for an AUP.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Hawk2000
No chance of a POUG then? Not looking to use Avios to upgrade to a reward seat in Club as I'd need to buy 100k avios
POUGs do very occasionally show up on redemptions, I get the impression BA is getting fairly desperate when it promotes them on Avios bookings. It would need to be a simple one way or return booking with no connections, normally, and you won't get any Avios or TPs for the POUG (or AUP), which would happen with an underlying cash booking.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
POUGs do very occasionally show up on redemptions, I get the impression BA is getting fairly desperate when it promotes them on Avios bookings. It would need to be a simple one way or return booking with no connections, normally, and you won't get any Avios or TPs for the POUG (or AUP), which would happen with an underlying cash booking.
That's good to hear, at least there is some chance, thanks. Not so worried about the Avios or TPs, just want the comfort. Although I know my chances are significantly reduced as it's the BA LHR-SYD route I managed to snag a seat on.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by Hawk2000
That's good to hear, at least there is some chance, thanks. Not so worried about the Avios or TPs, just want the comfort. Although I know my chances are significantly reduced as it's the BA LHR-SYD route I managed to snag a seat on.
I got offered a POUG on my last booking, and reward availability on my route is almost zilch. There were only 3 seats left in J at the time as well, so it can happen even when flights are very busy. It's well worth checking three or four days before check-in to see if one pops up.

I did have to call, twice, to book it though. It popped up on MMB, I tried to click through and it said it wasn't available. I then called and was told I couldn't do a POUG as it was a redemption booking. I then posted on here, CWS very helpfully told me that I could get a POUG, so I called back and used the magic words "special upgrade offer" and the lady let me upgrade.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 12:51 pm

I am in a similar position to Hawk2000. I booked Club return using Avios + a companion voucher (for 50% reduction in Avios as I am flying alone) to China and I am hoping to upgrade one or both of the legs to First.

From above is my understanding correct that this could be done with either cash or Avios, only if a reward seat opens up in F?

And what is meant by AUP and POUG (I presume Avios upgrade and paid upgrade?)

Thank you so much in advance for your replies.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by KaiTak747
I am in a similar position to Hawk2000. I booked Club return using Avios + a companion voucher (for 50% reduction in Avios as I am flying alone) to China and I am hoping to upgrade one or both of the legs to First.

From above is my understanding correct that this could be done with either cash or Avios, only if a reward seat opens up in F?

And what is meant by AUP and POUG (I presume Avios upgrade and paid upgrade?)

Thank you so much in advance for your replies.
AUP = Airport Upgrade Promotion. This is a cash upgrade offer done at the airport.
Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2021/22 thread
POUG = Proactive Online Upgrade Promotion. This is a cash upgrade offer that is sometimes available thru MMB
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...22-thread.html
UuA = Upgrade using Avios. This is an upgrade of a cash fare using avios, which is not relevant to your present situation.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32910040-post7.html
Also see the BA Forum Glossary for help with the terms and acronyms that are used in this forum:
BA Forum Glossary

To change your flight from CW to F using avios you will need to find F reward availability and call. You really aren't upgrading with avios as you are essentially cancelling your CW avios booking and rebooking in F.
Howard Long likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.