Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage pooling

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2023, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Baggage pooling

From what I can tell this isn't something BA do, was wondering if they ever have or ever would....

Being a GCH, travelling alone or with other half the baggage limit rarely bothers me, however on bigger family trips it usually needs a hodge podge of suitcases to be deployed.....some are simply too small to get 23KG in and others too large to fill and keep at 23KG.

Having just done a 9PX family trip on EZY I found the baggage pooling to be really useful, also believe FR do it as well.

As long as you're not exceeding the total booked limit or 32KG in a single case why does it matter?
Old Feb 18, 2023, 8:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The Gold BA luggage allowance is for all people on your reservation, max weight 32kg and an extra checked-bag for each passenger on the booking. The only exception is if you buy a ‘basic fare’ which gives no baggage allowance.
1Aturnleft, PETER01, SxMan and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What is baggage pooling?
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
What is baggage pooling?
It's when the handlers leave your bags outside in the rain.
lcb2013, salut0, Deckter and 26 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
What is baggage pooling?
Eg. Book and pay for 3x23KG bags = 69KG.
Pitch up at checkin with 1x32, 1x23 and 1x14KG, not an issue a still 3 bags, still 69KG.

Allows flexibility.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The Gold BA luggage allowance is for all people on your reservation, max weight 32kg and an extra checked-bag for each passenger on the booking. The only exception is if you buy a ‘basic fare’ which gives no baggage allowance.
That's a fair point and not a great example from me as a GCH, however still a valid question for a non status, cant really see a downside to BA to add this bit of flexibility across a booking.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
That's a fair point and not a great example from me as a GCH, however still a valid question for a non status, cant really see a downside to BA to add this bit of flexibility across a booking.
It's a cost though, and it's a bit like those who no-show, BA has the big data to know that happens, and that some people don't use any of their 23 kgs allowance, perhaps because they want Free Change On the Day instead. Baggage pooling is a customer friendly policy, and at the "just over the limit" area I bet many baggage agents let things slide, but from an airline perspective it can only mean more baggage and thus more cost.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 2:24 pm

Checking in at Sydney last wednesday, premium economy, so our allowance was 4 x 23kg. We had one full bag at 13.5kg and one full bag at 28kg. While club passengers three desks away could check in bags at 32kg, we had to try and take items out of the "overweight" bag to put elswhere, where is the logic!
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Ted51
Checking in at Sydney last wednesday, premium economy, so our allowance was 4 x 23kg. We had one full bag at 13.5kg and one full bag at 28kg. While club passengers three desks away could check in bags at 32kg, we had to try and take items out of the "overweight" bag to put elswhere, where is the logic!
There is no logic, only rules.

Once I had the same happen with my larger carry-on. I had just gotten the airport, through the first round of security and so had stuffed my jacket, sweater, etc into my pack so my personal item was light and easy to carry. My pack was 2 or 3 kilos over the limit. I explained what I had done and why. The checkin person was not having it. So I put my sweater back on, then my jacket, put my camera in my personal item. Was continuing on when they realized they were going to lose the game and said it was fine.
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You also had the choice to pay the fee for overweight baggage? the logic is that it saved you excess fees and saved the price difference to business class.

BA's allowances are pretty decent - 2 x 32kg for business class vs 30-40kg on some airlines. The main beneficiary if BA switched to weight based rather than piece based would be BA.

Pooling baggage seems to have a negative side effect for the passenger - if 2 people's luggage is pooled and checked in under 1 person, then the airline will only be liable for baggage delay/loss to that one person
etiene and Radiation Station like this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:35 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Checking in at Sydney last wednesday, premium economy, so our allowance was 4 x 23kg. We had one full bag at 13.5kg and one full bag at 28kg.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You also had the choice to pay the fee for overweight baggage? the logic is that it saved you excess fees and saved the price difference to business class.
Their allowance was 92kg in total and they had 41.5kg in reality. Not even as much as one person's allowance.

Why would anyone pay excess fees in such a situation? This is purely the standard BA customer unfriendliness; let's inconvenience the customer despite there being no cost to us to accede to their request.
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by louie-m
Their allowance was 92kg in total and they had 41.5kg in reality. Not even as much as one person's allowance.

Why would anyone pay excess fees in such a situation? This is purely the standard BA customer unfriendliness; let's inconvenience the customer despite there being no cost to us to accede to their request.
Their allowance was 2 pieces each, with each piece being a max of 23kg. It was not an allowance of 92kg. If it was a 92Kg allowance, then it would not matter how someone packed ( as long as the 32kg per bag was not exceeded )

The allowance is already a generous one - if there was a 23kg allowance per person, then for those with status , it would come to 38Kg or 43kg. not sure who wins there

Charging fees in excess of allowancre is a pretty standard thing and not some sort of BA unfriendliness

If taking items of >23Kg s important, then book business class , hold appripriate status or pay the excess fees.

The complaint by the OP seems bizarre since as a member holding Gold status, checking in 32Kg per piece is , iirc, permitted without charge on a BA service
nick585 and SilverChris like this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Paying by kg seems like a great idea until you’re suddenly in economy on QR and taking on an extra 23kg suitcase costs you $500 for a flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 11:16 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by louie-m

There's a reason why the total allowance was 4 x 23kg, not 92kg. I don't see how this is inconveniencing the customer, when it was the customers themselves who failed to pack according to their allowance. There would be no point in having a piece concept if they started combining the allowance of each bag.
nancypants and nick585 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:24 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
The weight limit comes from the cost of the fuel to transport all the bags, but the price limit comes from some parts of the world charging “per piece” for baggage ground handling, with surcharges for >23Kg (which is an old school conversion of 50lbs), and the flexibility over these rules come from how full the flight might be plus how strict the destination is (eg in some parts of South America, handling bags >23Kg is prohibited by the ground handlers union).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.