Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rolling takeoff at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Definitely a crazy thing to imagine at LHR! The other one I heard about was planes departing from 9L (I think the Cranford agreement normally prevents that as a regular occurrence).
Indeed - I experienced that a few times during Covid (with video to prove it!)

Pilot37
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Definitely a crazy thing to imagine at LHR! The other one I heard about was planes departing from 9L (I think the Cranford agreement normally prevents that as a regular occurrence).
The Cranford agreement ended several years ago. The main issue for 09L departures is the taxiway network isn't built for it without choking up Terminal 5.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 4:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by 221129
The Cranford agreement ended several years ago. The main issue for 09L departures is the taxiway network isn't built for it without choking up Terminal 5.
Interesting info, thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 4:16 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I’ve experienced a few rolling take-offs the most recent being a few days ago in DFW.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:26 am

My best was a very quick one around 20 years ago.

Back in the BMI days, BD418 LHR-LBA. On boarding, I tried to take my allocated seat in row 2, but the crew asked everyone to move back a row or two, so I finished up in row 3.

Boarding appeared to have finished and the first two rows were seemingly unoccupied. At that point a fleet of cars arrived at the bottom of the steps and a whole bunch of men in coats boarded.

1A was then occupied by (former) President George H W Bush and his “friends” in sunglasses occupied 1C and all of row 2.

Taxi and take-off were the quickest I’ve ever experienced, by-passing all the queueing aircraft, straight onto the active runway and off we went. ATC presumably knew he was on board!

On arrival at LBA, another fleet of cars was waiting at the bottom of the steps and whisked them away. He was in Yorkshire for a speaking engagement the following day.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
It has happened a few times at LHR. For me, always short haul and taking off from 27R. Normal scenario is that the aircraft comes off one of the taxiways where T1 used to be, so diagonally coming onto the runway rather than requiring a 90 degree turn left off the taxiway onto the runway. The aircraft was already significantly above norma taxiing speed as it turned from the taxiway not the runway (maybe a 30 degree turn to the left)......quite racy!!
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I had one last month on a domestic carrier at MCO, where I felt like I did many years ago in the back of a NY taxi. I enjoy a speedy ride, but I was a bit surprised by swift taxi and takeoff.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JSM8
It has happened a few times at LHR. For me, always short haul and taking off from 27R. Normal scenario is that the aircraft comes off one of the taxiways where T1 used to be, so diagonally coming onto the runway rather than requiring a 90 degree turn left off the taxiway onto the runway. The aircraft was already significantly above norma taxiing speed as it turned from the taxiway not the runway (maybe a 30 degree turn to the left)......quite racy!!
This was our taxi route - no idea if that confirms or contradicts what you are saying!!

Our taxi speed went from c.10 knots to 30 knots and away we went.....

PETER01 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I always prefer a stationery take off.

I used to love sitting upstairs in CW on the 747 and seeing the engines running, trying to imagine what its like in the cockpit at that specific time then see the engines spool up then off we went. I think it was the sheer anticipation of that very short wait!

Just the plane geek coming out of me there but just as happy to see any engine revving up just imminently before take off.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Originally Posted by londonclubguy
This was our taxi route - no idea if that confirms or contradicts what you are saying!!

Our taxi speed went from c.10 knots to 30 knots and away we went.....

It is the 2nd taxiway down runway 27R from your route. It comes into the runway at an angle and it has always been from that taxiway that I have experienced a rolling takeoff!
Old Feb 14, 2023, 2:24 pm

If the pilots have completed all preflight and takeoff checklist items and the tower clears for immediate take off the pilots have the option to do a rolling take off.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
At BHD I would say a rolling take off is the norm. With no parallel taxiway it’s usually a taxi down the runway with a 180 degree turn in the turning circle at the bottom then a rolling take off down runway 22.

More notable was the few times a BD A321 would appear for the LHR route, always blocked seats, especially on a calm day with a wet (shortish) runway. On (rare) calm days 04 departures seem to be preferred to keep the majority of movements over Belfast Lough rather than the city. The A321 seemed to hug the fence as it edged as minimally onto the starter strip to line up before a stationary spool up of the engines and seemed to take nearly all of the runway to get airborne.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by adventures_await
If the pilots have completed all preflight and takeoff checklist items and the tower clears for immediate take off the pilots have the option to do a rolling take off.
Well, we wouldn’t enter the runway if all preflight and takeoff checklist items hadn’t been completed - and so long as you are cleared to takeoff before you come to a halt you can do a rolling takeoff. The immediacy is not relevant, even with an immediate takeoff clearance if you need to pause for engine stability, that’s what you do..
DaveS, Sigwx and crazy8534 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.