Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding experience at LHR this morning

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Boarding experience at LHR this morning

Booked in club, 2 pieces of hand baggage within regulation and went through about 5 or 6 in the group 1 queue.

Was asked at that point to gate check my case, which I disputed politely with the boarding manager and went on. No issue finding space for my case and when boarding was complete there was plenty of overhead space.

Have heard multiple announcements in the past for folks in boarding groups 5 and above not to expect to find space and would understand if was one of the last on running late that there might be an issue but why are group 1s being asked to gate check a bag?
SxMan and RNdouble like this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I've seen that once. I know it's not a published benefit of Gold/Group 1 to not be asked to gate check, and at the risk of sounding entitled, DYKWIA etc, surely they should be asking the higher boarding groups to gate check first....
Old Feb 11, 2023, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I've seen that once. I know it's not a published benefit of Gold/Group 1 to not be asked to gate check, and at the risk of sounding entitled, DYKWIA etc, surely they should be asking the higher boarding groups to gate check first....
What was bizarre was that multiple people were walking past with far larger hand luggage cases than mine and had not been asked to gate check so it seemed totally random.

I book club deliberately for a fast get away when I get home as I'd rather be spending time with my family than hanging about waiting for a bag to be delivered so slightly miffed by the whole experience.
Silver Fox and remaxmac like this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Does seem odd; I've only seen it once in Club - a chap with a guitar on a full flight. Which annoyed him a bit as I think he'd paid the extra seat for it, too. A very short discussion and he carried on with it.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 11:07 am

Hand baggage has got out of hand recently, and with it being half term this week there's a particular focus.
The staff member thought it was probably worth an ask - if you'd have wanted to check it in then it's an easy win. The fact that they let you proceed without fuss is the result of your Group 1/2 boarding pass I expect.
If you'd been 4/5 and above I think it would have been less of a 'request' from the staff member.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MFCC
Hand baggage has got out of hand recently, and with it being half term this week there's a particular focus.
The staff member thought it was probably worth an ask - if you'd have wanted to check it in then it's an easy win. The fact that they let you proceed without fuss is the result of your Group 1/2 boarding pass I expect.
If you'd been 4/5 and above I think it would have been less of a 'request' from the staff member.
It was an unneccesary hassle. It took talking with the dispatch manager rather than the member of staff to deal with it. Something I was not wanting after 16hrs of travel before getting to LHR!\
Old Feb 11, 2023, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Jpm81
It was an unneccesary hassle. It took talking with the dispatch manager rather than the member of staff to deal with it. Something I was not wanting after 16hrs of travel before getting to LHR!\
Sounds like you and your cabin baggage survived nevertheless...
Old Feb 11, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by AviationMoose
Does seem odd; I've only seen it once in Club - a chap with a guitar on a full flight. Which annoyed him a bit as I think he'd paid the extra seat for it, too. A very short discussion and he carried on with it.
Did he get it out and start singing "Beautiful"? If so, that might have been James Blunt

He seemingly has a thing of taking his guitar with him and placing it on the seat next to him
Jpm81 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Group 4 and onwards are meant to be ‘targeted’ for hand luggage.
becks1, Jpm81 and Luther.e like this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
The boarding order tends to be pre-pre-boarding for anyone willing to check their bag, THEN Group 1.

The gate agent might have been confused as to whether you were at the end of that group or the very start of group 1.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
Did he get it out and start singing "Beautiful"? If so, that might have been James Blunt

He seemingly has a thing of taking his guitar with him and placing it on the seat next to him
Haha! No. Not sure who it was.

There was definitely a time when I sat next to someone famous from... a rock band of some kind. But, let's say 70/80s going by his age. And the crew (coming back from Oslo) made something of a fuss. Not to the detriment of anything else. They just clearly knew he who was and I had zero idea!
Old Feb 11, 2023, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
The boarding order tends to be pre-pre-boarding for anyone willing to check their bag, THEN Group 1.

The gate agent might have been confused as to whether you were at the end of that group or the very start of group 1.
There was no possibility that was the case. The pre checkers had gone down the stairs already and the group 1 queue had been lined up to go through the electronic gates.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Maybe they have finally realized half of the pre checkers just ignore the drop off and carry on regardless
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:15 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i mean frankly they should force families to gate check if they want to take advantage of pre-boarding since they are usually the most abusive of carry on allotment/stowing in CE when seated down back from my prior experience.

after all, if they need the extra time to be settled, it should help to do so without the burden of so many carryon bags.
ajamieson and Mercinator007 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am really not convinced families are the worst offenders. I have seen plenty of self important business men (it’s usually men but not exclusively) with more than 2 bags. Let’s call them the rimowa/tumi brigade for the sake of brevity.

Of course any suggestion from the ba gate staff of checking bags is immediately met with exclamations of I’m gold/in business/know Sean Doyle etc
Tim_T, Koru Flyer, toothy and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.