Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Exceptional service to crew’s friends, but not GGL passengers, in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exceptional service to crew’s friends, but not GGL passengers, in Y

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I thought they called you Beef Cheeks at the rugby club?
Shhhhhh, you promised you’d never tell
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Having taken a few UK economy domestic flights in recent months, most were rather uneventful. My travel companion and I (both GGL) managed always to pre-book window and aisle exit row seats. The flights were functional and did the job of getting us to our destination as expected.

But we noticed the final middle seat at the exit rows occasionally was given to someone that at least one of the crew knew (likely a friend or colleague, from what we could tell from the camaraderie). The flights were mostly full.

When this happened, we also noticed that each time, a member of crew would come and offer that person a drink and snack not normally served in economy, and completely ignored us who had sandwiched the friend (we just got the usual economy staple of a bag of crisp and a bottle of water). It’s not something that we’re bothered about - after all it’s a short domestic flight, and we’re given what we’d expect according to the class of service that we’d paid for.

But it got us wondering after it’s happened a few times - is it acceptable protocol to prioritise the giving of exceptional service for a crew’s “friend” onboard (over and above the provisions of the prescribed class) instead of high status paying customers?
This reminds me of that capuchin monkey experiment with grapes and cucumber https://www.newyorker.com/science/ma...learn-fairness

It's about fairness. When we see others being given a much better experience than ourselves it rankles. If the crew's friends had been treated the same as the rest of the passengers, or EVERYONE had been treated like rockstars, it would have been fine. As it is, the crew made most of their passengers feel like lowly beings in comparison. That's not fair.

I remember queuing for check-in at LCY for the Babybus and a passenger behind us was spotted by a BA check-in agent. She opened a desk especially for him, brought him forward, and proceeded to flirt and make a big fuss of him, while those of us still queuing were made to feel like spare parts. Given that it was a special flight for us I felt deflated. So, yes, we got the normal service - nothing wrong with that technically - but we definitely FELT like second-class citizens.

Yet again I see people on FlyerTalk trying to put OPs down. That's not fair either. I understand totally why this event may have felt unfair. If the crew are going to make arbitrary decisions over who gets special treatment and who doesn't, they ARE going to piss off the remaining passengers. It's basic psychology.

Last edited by ttama; Feb 12, 2023 at 7:36 am
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:43 am

I have witnessed this on a number of occasions. When a member of the crew fawns over people who have been unofficially upgraded it just gives a bad impression, particularly when that person gives you offhand service during the flight.
Scotair, ttama and 86BA7 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
On the flip side, of the last 4 sectors Mrs Geek and I have done in Y, the middle seat has been free, and on 3 of them the service for GCHs has been above expectations. 🔥🔥🔥
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Most airline passengers would never notice such an event nevermind get all upset over it.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by The Geek
On the flip side, of the last 4 sectors Mrs Geek and I have done in Y, the middle seat has been free, and on 3 of them the service for GCHs has been above expectations. 🔥🔥🔥
I'm sure that's a great consolation to the OP.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Most airline passengers would never notice such an event nevermind get all upset over it.
Ooh, snidey. Nothing like a good putdown to make your day, eh?
86BA7 and flarmip like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Shhhhhh, you promised you’d never tell
And I thought that what happened in the crew rest area stayed in the crew rest area...
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by ttama
This reminds me of that capuchin monkey experiment with grapes and cucumber https://www.newyorker.com/science/ma...learn-fairness

It's about fairness. When we see others being given a much better experience than ourselves it rankles. If the crew's friends had been treated the same as the rest of the passengers, or EVERYONE had been treated like rockstars, it would have been fine. As it is, the crew made most of their passengers feel like lowly beings in comparison. That's not fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xot4z1CKFMo

I remember queuing for check-in at LCY for the Babybus and a passenger behind us was spotted by a BA check-in agent. She opened a desk especially for him, brought him forward, and proceeded to flirt and make a big fuss of him, while those of us still queuing were made to feel like spare parts. Given that it was a special flight for us I felt deflated. So, yes, we got the normal service - nothing wrong with that technically - but we definitely FELT like second-class citizens.

Yet again I see people on FlyerTalk trying to put OPs down. That's not fair either. I understand totally why this event may have felt unfair. If the crew are going to make arbitrary decisions over who gets special treatment and who doesn't, they ARE going to piss off the remaining passengers. It's basic psychology.
I’m sorry, I can’t agree with your assumption of natural behaviour to be envious of others. Some of us are happy for others to be celebrated, for whatever reason. I would agree with the FT comment that I would ask them why they received special treatment if I felt snubbed. If I was upset with the answer, then I’d have a complaint.

To compare FTERS to monkeys and back this up with “basic psychology” is, quite frankly, insulting. We are not children or adolescents, which is the maximum brain age of most monkeys. Having said that, there is an element of society who come under the bracket of, @ WHERE’S MINE.

Before you ask, I have the necessary qualifications to support my stance.

Why can’t we just encourage the OP, and others who may feel so abused, to consider there may be circumstances surrounding this special treatment? Try speaking to the individual even the CC as they are delivering such service. You may learn something. And, then, if you don’t like what you’ve learned, please, please, come back and scream 😱 All I’m saying is, when we make assumptions without the facts, we just make idiots out of ourselves.

Done!
Strawb, HIDDY, PETER01 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC
How dare we be compared to monkeys..just LOL

Last edited by LBA_flyer; Feb 12, 2023 at 12:05 pm
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
How dare we be compared monkeys..just LOL
That’s what your personal takeaway was? Now I can say….hugely 🤣🤣🤣
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ttama
I'm sure that's a great consolation to the OP.
OP and their partner engaged in the somewhat tacky practice of keeping their window and aisle seats when someone showed up for the middle and was no doubt made to feel like a gooseberry in consequence. That may be one reason why sympathy here is muted.
HIDDY and Coffeemadman like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by CCayley
OP and their partner engaged in the somewhat tacky practice of keeping their window and aisle seats when someone showed up for the middle and was no doubt made to feel like a gooseberry in consequence. That may be one reason why sympathy here is muted.
When I travel with Mr bd95 (blue), I book him to the window and me (silver) to the middle. Mostly the aisle stays blocked due to TS and then we spread out after the door has closed.
HIDDY, Stormbel and PGberkshire like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfmad
Perhaps it's the Double Tier Point / reduced threshold nouveau status crowd?
Guilty as charged
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Calchas
Guilty as charged
I'll be keeping an eye on you. 😝

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.