Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA announce codeshare with Airlink and CemAir

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

https://mediacentre.britishairways.com/news/08022023/british-airways-announces-codeshare-partnership-with-south-african-airline-airlink?ref=Home

Sorry that link isn’t a link. Found on Google
Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Try this one https://mediacentre.britishairways.c.../details/14706

British Airways has announced a codeshare partnership with Airlink, improving connectivity between the UK, Europe, North America and more than 15 destinations in Southern Africa.

With bases in Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban in South Africa, Airlink is a premium regional airline with a wide-reaching network of cities in 14 countries, including South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Namibia.

The agreement means British Airways’ customers travelling from or transiting through London will be able to connect to their final destination via Cape Town or Johannesburg on a single ticket. This will offer more choice and flexibility for those travelling on to one of 18 towns and cities, such as Windhoek in Namibia and Durban in South Africa.

British Airways currently flies twice daily between London Heathrow and Johannesburg with A380 aircraft, twice daily between London Heathrow and Cape Town with B777 and A350 aircraft and three times per week between London Gatwick and Cape Town with B777 aircraft.

Members of British Airways’ loyalty programme, the Executive Club, can earn Avios when flying on Airlink flights on a British Airways’ codeshare journey. Avios is the programme’s currency, which can be used as part-payment towards Reward Flights or upgrades, as well as hotel stays, car hire and more.

Neil Chernoff, British Airways’ Director of Network and Alliances, said: “Our flights to Cape Town and Johannesburg continue to be as popular as ever with our customers, so we’re pleased to be able to open up more options in the Southern African region. Our partnership with Airlink means that customers will be able to book a full journey on one ticket, allowing seamless travel all the way from London to their final destination.”

Airlink’s CEO and Managing Director, Rodger Foster, said: “This is an important next step in our partnership with British Airways, which has a phenomenal global reach into the most important markets for our region. The marriage of our two networks will benefit both British Airways’ and Airlink’s customers, giving them even more choice with a wide range of itinerary options and connectivity possibilities.”

In total, 18 destinations are available as codeshare options when travelling from Heathrow via Johannesburg and Cape Town. Examples include:
  • London Heathrow to Durban via Johannesburg
  • London Heathrow to Port Elizabeth, South Africa, via Cape Town or Johannesburg
  • London Heathrow to Skukuza, South Africa via Cape Town or Johannesburg
  • London Heathrow to Windhoek, Namibia via Cape Town or Johannesburg
  • London Heathrow to Walvis Bay, Namibia via Cape Town or Johannesburg
Codeshare tickets are now available to book on www.ba.com, for travel from 15 February 2023 onwards.

Other Southern Africa destinations are pending government approval and might join the codeshare agreement at a later date.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 9:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am trying to work out the 14 destinations now added as codeshares but I got to 16, 2 of which are not in SA. I imagine they will want to add Zimbabwe locations once that goes through the regulatory hurdles, though BA have a codeshare on Qatar for HRE.

BFN - Bloemfontain
DUR - Durban
ELS - East London
GRJ - George
HDS - Hoedspruit
KIM - Kimberley
PLZ - Port Elizabeth
PTG - Polokwane, also known as Pietersburg
PZB - Pietermaritzburg
RCB - Richards Bay
SIS - Sishen
SZK - Skukuza (Kruger National Park, a particularly beautiful airport)
UTN - Upington (a diversion airport, with a massive runway of 4,900 metres, 1,000 metres longer than LHR. I wonder if BA's A380 can divert there?)
UTT - Mthatha formerly Umtata.

WDH - Windhoek, Namibia
WVB - Walvis Bay, Namibia

These codeshares are only on BA combinations, you cannot book a say CPT - DUR as a separate booking under BA flight numbers, only 4Z prime.
Fruitcake and eugnk like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 9, 2023 at 6:35 am
Old Feb 8, 2023, 10:18 am

Implications for Durban direct

This gives me more hope for a return of LHR-DUR for the winter season this year (than if they had announced FlySafair), as Airlink does not have the capacity required for JNB-DUR with their E90's. That said, Airlink are planning to up-gauge to narrowbodies at some point, presumably for this reason - but I don't imagine it'll happen that quickly. Hopefully it's not at the expense of Durban direct.

Last edited by Icyflyer; Feb 9, 2023 at 2:20 am
Old Feb 8, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
I wonder if HLE ( St Helena) will be added?

Spike
Old Feb 8, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Funky Spike
I wonder if HLE ( St Helena) will be added?
I was just about to ask the same thing!

Nice to see that BA have finally put something in place to make up for the demise of Comair
Shingi, wfiring12 and MeltingAlf like this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
So will this mean TPs and avios for BA codeshares? (But not independently booked airlink flights)?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA.com is happily pricing up my local airport here in SA (MQP) with sensibly priced add on fares using Airlink. No BA codes though

Airlink themselves are a very very good airline. Remarkably reliable and punctual and excellent service on the ground and in the air. Dare one say BA could learn quite a bit from them.
SQjunkie, eugnk, wfiring12 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
And don't forget that Port Elizabeth is now officially called GQEBERHA - fortunately the airport code is still PLZ
Icyflyer likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by decowie1903
So will this mean TPs and avios for BA codeshares? (But not independently booked airlink flights)?
Yes, probably the main interest here, along with baggage allowances, since BA will also sell BA + Airlink services outside the codeshare, which wouild not get TPs/Avios for the Airlink sectors.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Will it now be possible to fly from London to East London on BA coded flights?

Hopefully BA might also figure out a codeshare in Canada so they can fly from London Ontario to London as well!
Calchas likes this.

Last edited by salut0; Feb 8, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:00 pm

Originally posted by C-W-S;

UNT - Upington (a diversion airport, with a massive runway of 4,900 metres, 1,000 metres longer than LHR. I wonder if BA's A380 can divert there?)
UNT is actually Unst in the Shetlands. Perhaps that's why they need the extra-long runway. On the other hand, UTN is at Upington in Northern Cape.
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Icyflyer
This gives me more hope for a return of LHR-DUR for the winter season this year (than if they had announced FlySafair), as Airlink does not have the capacity required for JNB-DUR with their E90's. That said, Airlink are planning to up-gauge to narrowbodies at some point, presumably for this reason - but I don't imagine it'll happen that quickly. Hopefully it's not at the expense of Durban direct.
Just checked now, flights from London to Durban via JNB <16hours return in Y are selling at a £260 premium to LHR-JNB direct . While separately ticketing return would add only £84-105.
Disappointing, but expected due to the above.

(or is this a normal premium? even for the same flights booked separately? I don't remember the fares ever being this high)

Last edited by Icyflyer; Feb 9, 2023 at 5:03 am
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Icyflyer
LHR-DUR nonstop on BA not as convenient for some as LHR-JNB-DUR for many due to early LHR departure and return flight back to LHR a day flight.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by salut0
Will it now be possible to fly from London to East London on BA coded flights?
Yes, I guess if you start from AMS (for example) you could have a reasonable sensible trip going via London City, London Heathrow and on to East London.
salut0 and squawk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.