Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden city ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2023, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, Bonvoy gold
Hidden city ticket

I'm a Seattle based flyer and looking to fly to JNB on BA F. Tickets are significantly cheaper if I fly out of YVR via SEA, which is fine. For the return flight it would be nice to end the flight in SEA and not fly up to YVR, just to turn around and head home. I know its against the COC and I have searched this site but most of the posts are older. Does anyone have any recent updates? Is BA actively searching or folks who end flights early?
angled likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:39 pm

You’ll be absolutely fine.
bradley206 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 11:34 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Some caveats to the advice above.

Yes, BA does search for passengers who end itineraries early. What it does about it is likely vastly different to what happens with, say, AA.

AA is reasonably well-known for identifying persistent offenders and even accompanying them to the gate for their next flight to make sure they don't get lost. BA won't ever do that, but it does have certain options available to it.

If you book direct with BA, and don't make a habit of doing this, then it's almost certain nothing will happen.

If you book with a Travel Agent, BA has the option of charging that TA the difference in price. It has history of doing this - see Our EX-EU Horror story. The agent may, under their terms, have the option of charging that back to you - so the risk is much, much higher of being dinged. Even if you don't personally get charged, you may consider you have a certain duty to that TA to take the last flight, particularly if you want to use them again!
bradley206 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If you book direct with BA and don't do this often, you're unlikely to run into any issues.

You can even do this with checked bags, as they'll come out in SEA.
bradley206 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Despite years of warnings, I think the only example of action I’ve seen on these pages in nearly a decade is that of Propeller.
bradley206, LCY8737 and bisonrav like this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:03 am

I'm also in Seattle and did exactly that with an Air Canada + Korean Air ticket from YVR-SEA-ICN-SEA-(YVR) several years ago. As you know, you get your bags to clear customs in Seattle anyway. I had no problem. Of course that doesn't say what BA will do to you but I would be shocked if they bothered you for a single incident as long as you book directly and don't go telling them about it. (I'm feeling safe because there's got to be some sort of statute of limitations, at least in practice.)

The time I did it, the fare was something like $1300 SEA-ICN-SEA and $900 YVR-SEA-ICN-SEA-YVR -- with a 6hr layover in SEA on the outbound connecting to the exact same flights over the Pacific! Rather than hang out at home for a few hours, we decided to just pretend we were tourists on a layover and take light rail to the International District and Pike Place Market.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
How much worse is an open jaw?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:33 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
What would happen if you actually called the relevant airline, perhaps if you contracted Covid or the like, and did not think it was appropriate to travel the last leg?
bradley206 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
As mentioned earlier I doubt it will be an issue if booked directly and not a regular occurrence.
August, I am doing a TATL return ex DUB. On return to LHR, I have 5 hours to make my last EI flight from LGW to DUB but traffic on M25 can be awful, just hope I don't get held up
bradley206 and senor hamachi like this.

Last edited by IntVic; Feb 8, 2023 at 8:04 am
Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by squeeler
What would happen if you actually called the relevant airline, perhaps if you contracted Covid or the like, and did not think it was appropriate to travel the last leg?
My usual line comes out: I wouldn't overthink it. Do it (hidden ticketing) once or twice and you will not be dragged off to the Tower.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:25 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by squeeler
Nothing.

3c5) If you change your transportation without our agreement, your unused flight coupons will not be valid for travel and will have no value and we will not carry you until:

we or our authorised agents have re-calculated the revised fare for your actual transportation and
you have paid the difference (if any) between the fare you have already paid and the revised fare which applies to your changed transportation.
If the revised fare is lower than the fare you have already paid, we or our authorised agents will refund you the difference.
bradley206 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:01 pm

I was wondering about the same issue on a different route, but the feedback above is super helpful.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, Bonvoy gold
Thanks for the responses. I was worried about fee / loss of miles but sounds like we will be good so went ahead and booked directly with BA.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 4:23 pm

So you can afford to fly "F" , but don't want to pay a few more dollars to do the right thing? SMH.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by RRROOO
So you can afford to fly "F" , but don't want to pay a few more dollars to do the right thing? SMH.
Wealthy people don't get wealthy or stay wealthy by being stupid.
The OP said there was a "significant" price difference, not "a few more dollars".
_fx, strowger, mario and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.